“Agree with the other reviews, but”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grafton
Tara Point Inn and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 5 Grafton B&B and Inns
St. Louis MO
“Agree with the other reviews, but”
Reviewed September 24, 2005

I agree with what the others had written. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Hawthorn cottage. The place is so wonderful it doesn't feel like a motel... more like staying in someone's house. Great decorations, gives you an 'in the wilderness' feeling. Free breakfast included, 2 televisions, and they even have VCRs and a selection of movies in the room to watch. Great attention to detail. Very quiet (except fo the motor boats on the water, and the music coming up from the town of Grafton).

Two things to be aware of:
1) they don't take credit card. Which is fine, but they're cancellation policy is strange. They take personal checks, which must be mailed to them within 7 days of making the reservation. Anyway, this is all in their brochure.

2) you get there, but before you can get the key, you sign a waiver. Something to the effect of: if you burn the place down, you pay for it. Marge, the owner, explained it to me this way: "If you cause a fire that ruins the cottage, our insurance company wont pay for it, but will instead come after your insurance company". My insurance company? Huh? Then she says "just sign it". After I signed it, but expressed discontent, she flippantly says "why, you weren't planning to burn it down, were you?". Um, okay. Seems I forgot to bring my attorney with me to pick up the key. In fairness, my girlfriend got mad at me for 'making a big deal out of nothing'.

But anyway, reread my first paragraph, absolutely wonderful place.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank Honeymooners10

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed December 29, 2004

We received a Gift Certificate to stay at the main house before there were cabins on our wedding night. We absolutely loved it. It is enchanting. We returned on our 10th wedding anniversary to stay in one of the cabins. We did not think they could top the main house but the cabins are amazing. You loose yourself in the views and the atmosphere. It is a must do on anyone’s list. We highly recommend that you come and enjoy it. We also say it is the quickest way to relieve stress. The stress starts to melt away as soon as you enter the drive. What awaits you above is spectacular.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2004

Set 280' above the river, you just can't find a more spectacular view! The brochures and online pictures just don't do it justice. We stayed in a guest room at the main house. The room is comfortable and cozy. The recreation room was a great way to meet the other house guests and another avenue to enjoy the view. The next morning we had a delightful breakfast with the other two couples and Marge, our very gracious hostess. Marge served a delicious breakfast and was wonderful to share her private home with us. Tara Point will definitely be a regular retreat for us!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 18, 2004

Grafton is a great little town where me and my girlfriend visited alot- mainly for the Winnery that sits directly down the bluff from the best view and the best Bed and Breakfast on the Mississippi River-Tara Point Inn! That is where I chose to propose. I asked her to marry me right around sunset and it could not have been more beautiful. We are currently planning our next visit. Tara is highly recommended by my wife and I. Our personal favorite are the cottages, you can't beat the huge hot-tub, king-size bed, and fireplace. Not to mention the best view around from your own personal front porch attached to your cottage. Have Fun!
From, Jason & Laura

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2003

Tara is the most spectacular view on the river, unless you are the home next door. The main house is far too much to take in. Especially in one look. You have to absorb the atmosphere of every room. Every little nook decorated in it's own way. I love the nautical feel, I loved the Captain's room the most because of it's quiet,quaint demeanor when you enter. The cottages are beautiful too. A great place to take wedding photos if the owner would open it up to that. A great place to relax in general. The views of the rivers are what draws you to this place. The relaxing lazy feel you get watching the river is it's most asset.
Thanks for the experience, it's one we will never forget.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2003

The owner kind of ruined this place by building more cabins.. anyway, we have travelled a lot. This is one of the nicest, quietest places we've been. Especially if you go during a weekday. There is not much to do, but the view is wonderful. We have never stayed in the main house, but that looks great as well. The cottages feature items from Bass Pro and Eddie Bauer, so you can imaging the furniture is wonderful. We have kind of tired this place out and won't return for a long while. It used to be just two cabins, but the owner expanded that, her right. Unfortunately the place changed because of that. Also, a neighbors driveway runs through the lower area of Tara Point. Oh well.. progress. Anyway, everyone from STL/IL owes it to life in general to stay here. From the eagles to the barges at night (the rivers converge right below)... just a special, wondrous place.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Pere Marquette Lodge & Conference Ctr, BW Premier Collection
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Charles
Best Western Premier Alton-St.Louis Area Hotel
Best Western Plus Parkway Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/Alton
Comfort Inn -- Alton
Comfort Inn -- Alton
#5 of 5 in Alton

Been to Tara Point Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!