I agree with what the others had written. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Hawthorn cottage. The place is so wonderful it doesn't feel like a motel... more like staying in someone's house. Great decorations, gives you an 'in the wilderness' feeling. Free breakfast included, 2 televisions, and they even have VCRs and a selection of movies in the room to watch. Great attention to detail. Very quiet (except fo the motor boats on the water, and the music coming up from the town of Grafton).
Two things to be aware of:
1) they don't take credit card. Which is fine, but they're cancellation policy is strange. They take personal checks, which must be mailed to them within 7 days of making the reservation. Anyway, this is all in their brochure.
2) you get there, but before you can get the key, you sign a waiver. Something to the effect of: if you burn the place down, you pay for it. Marge, the owner, explained it to me this way: "If you cause a fire that ruins the cottage, our insurance company wont pay for it, but will instead come after your insurance company". My insurance company? Huh? Then she says "just sign it". After I signed it, but expressed discontent, she flippantly says "why, you weren't planning to burn it down, were you?". Um, okay. Seems I forgot to bring my attorney with me to pick up the key. In fairness, my girlfriend got mad at me for 'making a big deal out of nothing'.
But anyway, reread my first paragraph, absolutely wonderful place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A bed and breakfast at its very best with a view that's called the most spectacular in the midwest! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tara Point Inn And Cottages Hotel Grafton