“Nice update to an old time hotel”
Review of Ruebel Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ruebel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Grafton
Reviewed July 14, 2010

If you have stayed at the Ruebel Hotel before, you will be pleasantly surprised with the improvements that a new owner has brought.

My wife’s family lived in the Grafton area for more than a century and we have stayed at this 1880 hotel numerous times when we have visited the area. As charming as this hotel can be, I had a bit of an inward groan when we needed to visit the area again for a funeral. There used to be very few modern amenities, and the beds sagged as if a visiting circus had used them for a trampoline act.

What a change! Mo, the new owner, has more than 30 years of hotel management experience, and it shows. The old bedding was gone, replaced with a first class mattress, good pillows and luxurious linens. Our bed was the most comfortable I have slept in for several years. The bathroom had been redone with tile floors and new fixtures, there was satellite flat screen TV, the AC worked well, and the room was spotlessly clean.

We ventured down to the hotel bar/restaurant and asked the owner’s wife what was good on the menu. When she said “everything”, I was skeptical and had only a hamburger the first night. But the hamburger was good and we returned for dinner the following two nights and each choice was indeed very good. Basic bar food, but well prepared.

The other unexpected modern convenience was wi-fi. Far away from the big city, it was great to read the morning paper via an iPad.

This is a small town hotel, but if you are looking for a comfortable experience in an authentic old-time hotel, this is the place to stay. The owners will make you feel at home.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2010

This was our second time staying at the Ruebel Hotel and Saloon. As was the case with our 1st stay, Mo was more than accomodating to our needs. In some of the prevoius negative reviews I think the travelers were expecting a liitle too much. This is an 19th century hotel and should be accepted as such. Mo has had the place for just over 2 years and has done a woderful job with renovation given the size of rooms that were common when the hotel was built well over a 100 years ago. The linens are brought clean and fresh daily from a linen service in St Loius. Bath and Body toiletries are provided in each room. The Ssloon is a wonderful place to eat and unwind. If the weather is nice the large deck just off the Saloon is great place to spend the even having cocktails with friends.

If you want round the clock staffing and all the amenties offered by the larger chain hotels, the Ruebel is not for you. If you looking for a clean, lovely, fun place to spend a weekend in a historic hotel that is akin to being taken back in time, be sure to book a stay with Mo and the gang at the Ruebel Hotel and Saloon!!!

One last note. The Ruebel is motorcycle friendly with semi covered concrete parking in the back below the deck.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Ruebel and were very impressed with the service and cleanliness of the place. The food was good at the restaurant and it was within walking distance of a few bars. They also offered a complimentary breakfast that was delicious

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2010

All I can say is WOW, I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and didn't enjoy it very much. I had planned a trip to Grafton in March with my wife and looked at the hotel options online and noticed that the Ruebel Hotel was under new ownership so I figured I would give it a try, glad I did.

This place is 50% cheaper than the rest of the options in Grafton and it has all the upgrades you could want, refrigerator in each room, flat screen TV, tile floors and it is right next to a great restaurant.

Highly recommend this place, stay was very polite and very accommodating

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Ruebel for a night just to get away and we had a great experience. The owner complimentary upgraded our room and the staff was great. The place was very clean and everything worked. We also ate at the resturaunt and the food was delicious. They also offer a continental breakfast and that was good as well. We were very pleased with our stay and will return again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

A very relaxing weekend for my wife and myself, the staff was very helpful. We checked into our room and upon going out for the evening sitting on the floor outside our room was a bucket of chilled champaigne and 2 glasses. It was one of the best stays we have had in a long time. Mo thanks again to you and your staff. Zip Garrett

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The reception area was dark & closed about 2 hours after check-in time. Finally a housekeeper ask if I needed anything. When I stated to check-in, she yelled across the lobby area to a lady in jeans and a sweatshirt to come help me. As she was walking to the reception desk she keep up with her personal call-pnone conversation. Then couldn't work the computer, so check in took a while. The elevator wasn't working as the manager was out and had the key. So, my bad knees had to climb stairs. Once at the top, we couldn't find the room. Finally a staff member arrived to help. Room was clean and neat, but the remote for the TV had dead batteries, and the rooms have no phones to call the empty reception area anyway., so the radio had to do for the evening. No ice, as the iceroom was locked. A pleasant gentleman with a accent fixed coffee and a light uncooked breakfast for us. We were grateful to find someone sp pleasant to start our day. My feeling is if a hotel is open, then it should be staffed and greet guest upon their arrival. I have been treated MUCH better at places costing half as much. I do not plan to ever stay their again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharleneCats
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Pere Marquette Lodge & Conference Ctr, BW Premier Collection
4 mi away
Green Tree Inn
Green Tree Inn
#1 of 2 in Elsah

Been to Ruebel Hotel? Share your experiences!