Ruebel Hotel
Sleep Inn(Saint Charles)
$80
$73
$40
Super 8 St Charles(Saint Charles)
$65
$91
Hotels.com
$89
$80
ComfortInn
$58
All reviewsloading dockthe world'srestaurant bar attachedangus burgerexcellent hospitalityquaint hotelcomplimentary bottled watergreat weekendmini vacationa wonderful stayice bucketthis past weekendnearby hikinghotel guestsmodern amenitiesstandard roomcoffee pot
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place is great. The people who work here are nice and their rooms are more than adequate. This location puts you in the middle of everything whether you're planning to go the state park or go to Alton for the day or spend the entire time in Grafton. In the mornings they have a delicous breakfest at a resonable price. DONT go anywhere else for breakfest. Only wish I could have booked me and my girlfriends room during the weekday as they are apparently substancially cheaper. The only cons I'd say is that the "special rooms" arent really worth the money. Just get the standard or the superior. And the rooms are a little small but if your going to be on the move they are cozy and comfortable. Tons of channels on the satelitte. Your're within walking distance of pretty much everything inside of Grafton. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the riverview room or the specialty rooms. Get standard or superior for better value.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My Wife and I were looking for a nice long scenic motorcycle ride so we followed Illinois Route 100 along the Illinois river until we hit Grafton The ride was what we hoped for and the highway was full of fellow bikers We knew there were lots of bars and wineries there as well as places to eat so we called on a Thursday for a Saturday reservation. This is not a big place and we got one of the last 3 rooms It was clean and fairly quiet despite all of the motorcycles and street traffic The bar is impressive and dates back to the 1903 worldsfair There is also a deck that overlooks the river The food was good and the beer was cold! I'm planning on going back , Maybe in the Fall and I would stay here again. Also, they have free Wi-Fi which is always a plus in my book .

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I just had another PERFECT stay at the Ruebel Hotel. I have lost count the number of times I have stayed there, Mo & Karen and the staff makes you feel at home. A special thanks to MS April for always being a great hostess. If you want to get away from everything and do nothing but relax, the Ruebel is the place for you. The rooms are very very clean and charming, go stay there, you will not be disappointed. PLUS the food is AWESOME at the Ruebel restaurant!!!!!!!!
Make sure while you are there to visit the Ruebel ice cream and sub parlor too.

Mike B.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
MoKhamee, Owner at Ruebel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. It is an absolute pleasure to have
a customer like yourself. We look forward to seeing you every time you stay with
us. Have a nice Fall and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights mid-week in August of 2013. The hotel is so charming - it feels as if you have gone back a century. Our room had a tiny bathroom, so small that the bathroom sink wasn't even in the bathroom but in the bedroom. Very comfortable bed with six pillows on it! I loved the carpeting - it was a different color and design than you would typically see in your usual boring hotel room. And we had a nice stained-glass piece over our door. In spite of being in an older hotel, our room had the nice amenities of a flat screen tv and small refrigerator. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean!

Grafton evenings mid-week don't have a lot going on, so we spent a considerable amount of time in the Ruebel's beautiful bar area enjoying some drinks and conversation. We ate there one evening and everything was very good, especially the baked potato soup - yum!!! Food and drinks were reasonably priced. We enjoyed visiting with the friendly bartenders, Kaylee and Jessica.

We met Mo, the owner, as he stopped by the restaurant one evening and walked around talking to everyone, asking what they had done during the day, etc. He seemed to be genuinely interested in everyone's answers - a very friendly guy.

My only complaint (and not really a complaint, just a comment), is that in the review below mine, the reviewer mentions being upgraded to a more expensive room and also receiving a bottle of wine. We were there mid week and I don't think that more than 3 other rooms were occupied. An upgrade or a bottle of wine/champagne would be nice and goes a very long way towards customer relations. I remember years ago visiting a b&b in Louisiana and my husband and I had paid for the lowest priced room. However, when we arrived, the owner told us that since we were the only ones staying that evening, we could look at all the rooms and choose whichever room we wanted, regardless of what the room typically cost. This small gesture made us frequent visitors for many years at that b&b.

My two best friends and I want to stay at this hotel in the future (girls trip!), and Jessica kindly showed me a room with two queen beds so I could determine if it would work for us. When she asked which room I was currently staying in, she mentioned that I was lucky because my room has it's own air-conditioning unit while some don't. The upstairs area was very hot and stuffy in the hallways, but our room was very comfortable with the a/c unit.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience at Ruebels Hotel and will definitely return to this charming hotel. We have had other family members stay here recently and they also enjoyed themselves - fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your wishes), none of us were visited by any spirits during our visits.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have any problems climbing stairs, ask for a first floor room. Also, be sure to ask for a room that has it's own a/c unit!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
MoKhamee, Owner at Ruebel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. We do try very hard to give all of customers the service they deserve. Unfortunately, I do now know that I need to educate my restaurant workers a bit more regarding the hotel. Regarding an upgrade and/or a bottle of spirits sometimes depends on room rates and/or a package that may have been purchased. The employees are unaware of this as they are only told to give the wine/upgrade to an individual customer. They really don't know what a customer has been charged for a room nor an individual package. Some of our customers add a bottle of spirits to their room folio when checking in as this was the case on Monday evening. The bottle of spirits is actually paid for in some instances when there is not a package. Our packages are not the same as we have different ones. I am rather stumped as to why Jessica stated that you were lucky that your room had an individual unit, as ALL of our rooms do. They did not use to have them and we completed this project about 2 months ago before summer started. As the building was built in 1879 this was quite a challenge. We knew the importance of room temperatures to individual customers and took this huge task on. Our hallways are a bit stuffy when weather is hot and we are trying to resolve that issue as well. It was much more important to give our customers a nice cool or warm room individually than tending to the hallways since it is a short distance to the rooms. We also have an elevator for our customers. We always have and I have no idea as to why Jessica stated we didn't. It is located in the hallway right next to the restaurant restrooms with a pink sign on it. She passes by it daily to use the restrooms and I believe she has been in it before. Maybe there was some miscommunication. However, this is why I need to train my employees so that wrong information is not given to our customers. I would like to personally thank you for your review as it has given me information that I needed to know so that other customers are not also misinformed. It was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Once again, thank you.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stopped here overnight following the Great River Road. It was a Monday night so was very quiet. Mo, the owner couldn't have been more accommodating. He upgraded our room to one with a balcony and got us a nice bottle of ice cold Pino Grigio plus ice bucket and a couple of glasses. We sat on the balcony whilst the eagles soared over our heads. The bed was wonderful. Loads of pillows and cushions. All fantastically clean. He told us he was ex Trust House Forte from a number of years ago and his approach and that of his staff to great customer service showed this. Many thanks.