“Lovely walk around the lake”
Review of Blickling Estate

Blickling Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Blickling
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: You'll never forget your first sight of Blickling. Sitting in a magnificent garden and park is a breath-taking mansion, flanked by ancient yew hedges. Past owners have used the estate as a refuge while performing on the world's political stage. Philip Kerr, the last private owner, helped shaped the National Trust's history, using his influence to find a way of saving great country houses for future generations to enjoy. Until his death in 1940 he used the house for entertaining his prominent guests; and photographs, sounds and objects help to tell his story. Outside, the formal garden is the result of three centuries of inspired planting, and the gently undulating historic parkland is great for exploring.
norwich
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Lovely walk around the lake”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Lovely way to start the New Year with a walk around the lake. Pitty it was so crowded, we thought it may be quiet but nevermind, its always so good to blow away the cobwebs!!

Visited January 2013
Blickling E, Public Relations Manager at Blickling Estate, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your walk around the lake on New Year's Day. It was pretty busy that day! Many people haven't yet discovered the other way-marked walks around the estate which are a bit more off the beaten track than the lake walk. Do grab a free guide to the other walks from the visitor reception team next time you visit.

Kelsall, England, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Interesting Visit”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Another fine example of a National Trust property. It was a wet day so we didn't visit the gardens but they looked magnificent. Found the house interesting and staff helpful. Just a little disappointed that some of the rooms were closed the day we visited. Would definately recommend that you go on a dry day and check to see if many rooms are closed when planning your visit.

Visited September 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. There's always something to see at Blickling, whatever the season, but I do agree the gardens really come into their own on a fine August day. Incidentally, we have 19 rooms open to the public. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another of Norfolks Gems”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A must if you are in this area. The effort that is made by the staff for the Christmas display is fantastic.

Visited December 2012
Blickling E, Public Relations Manager at Blickling Estate, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your feedback. Our team of staff and volunteers work particularly hard at this time of year and we're so glad that you enjoyed it.
Norwich UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Christmas at Blickling”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Sunday 9th Dec.2012 was my third visit to this event and and on my recommendation my husband, daughter and two children aged 7 and 9 came with me. The little ones were open mouthed at the impressive staircase and Christmas tree and the eldest having studied the Tudors at school found much to interest her at the start but their interest soon wained. I am a flower arranger in Norwich and I felt that many of the arrangements this year were on display last year and all looked so artificial! Not a fresh flower in sight, no excuse please about not being able to water, surfaces can be protected. Before the visit I had said how stunning the flower arrangements were and everywhere you looked there was one to catch the eye but certainly not this year.. I certainly recognized the tired display of artificial cakes in the kitchen from last year.. Paper folding demo was O.Kish, craft fair and marquee stalls I had seen it all before. I had built the visit up as something special, but I felt there could have been more for children to see and do. Fortunately my daughter belongs to the National Trust so did not have to pay admittance but my husband and I are not Members and we found the visit overpriced and for me disappointing. The food in the restaurant was fine apart from the sprouts being like bullets, better left uncooked, and all the staff were helpful and friendly. Beautiful gardens but on this occasion it was too cold to go outside I will not pay a fourth visit next Christmas unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

1 Thank Peter C
Thank you very much for taking the time to give some feedback about your visit to Blickling. Our team of staff and volunteers work especially hard at this time of year to give our visitors a great day out, and we're genuinely sad if you were disappointed by your experience.

The response we've had from more than 9000 visitors has been overwhelmingly positive but we''ll feedback your comments and see if we can refresh the flower displays next year. I would like to point out that there were lots of fresh flowers too; our flower-arrangers will be sad to hear that you thought they were all artificial.
East Anglia, England
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Christmas at Blickling 2012 - What a disappointment!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I visited this time last year and had a wonderful experience in the House and Grounds surrounded by the joys of Christmas. It was such a lovely memory that I decided to revisit this Christmas on one of the special weekends advertised.
What a mistake. Lovely bright crisp cold sunny December day and there the good experience stopped.The Hall had some decorations on a floral theme but there was no atmosphere, little music, and no historical representations as before.apart from some cake decorating in the kitchen basement area. There was a marquee selling mainly craft items in a courtyard area but again no special Christmas atmosphere. As a NT member I had free access but if I had paid the £11 plus entry fee I would have felt cheated.

Visited December 2012
Blickling E, Public Relations Manager at Blickling Estate, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Hello & thank you very much for taking the time to give some feedback on your visit to Blickling. Our team of staff and volunteers work especially hard at this time of year to give our visitors a great day out and we're genuinely sad if you're disappointed by your experience.

Let's look at the entertainment provided last weekend: The hall was open and beautifully decorated by our volunteer flower-arrangers with an 18' tree in the front hall; costumed interpreters in the kitchen demonstrating cake decorating and serviette folding; a brass band; King Henry's band; hand bell ringers; a free visit to Father Christmas in his grotto with a gift for the children; face painting; reindeer; a musical quartet; a hurdy-gurdy, and a craft marquee stuffed full of wonderful exhibitors. As you say, all completely free for National Trust members and the feedback we've had from more than 6000 visitors in the past 2 weekends has been overwhelmingly positive.

The entertainment provided is slightly different each day and we'd love to welcome you back again next weekend for another look. Thanks once again for your feedback.