“Diamond in the cornfields”

Conklin's Barn II Dinner Theatre
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Goodfield
Chicago, Illinois, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Diamond in the cornfields”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I fist saw the Conklin theatre group in the early 1970's at a hotel in Bloomington IL. When they moved to the big old barn in Goodfield I went often They did a marvelous job turning the barn into a dinner theatre. It was always so much fun having the actors serve you during dinner before the show. It was a hard job for them but it made me feel like I really a part of the whole experience. I moved to the Chicago area in the late 70's. We went w few times when I came back to visit relatives but eventually we stopped going to the theatre as my parents were aging and it was a a hours trip. My Mom now lives in Peoria and my fiend lives in Washington. When I was visiting my friend took me back to the Barn II last year. This year my Mom was feeling well so I took her there for Mothers Day brunch. She loved it. My Spousal equivalent had never been there and he really enjoyed it. The food is good. The acting is. Rey good. I see many plays in Chicago and it think the acting at the Barn II is quality acting. I encourage everyone in central IL or who is visiting there to give it a try. They do comedies so even the person who doesn't like heavy theatre should enjoy themselves. Take friends, take family, get tickets and go. Prices are good and if you have people who jVe trouble walking just let them know you need to sit on the first floor.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Alice M

Congerville
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Food is getting old!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

They need to change up the menu. Choices seem not to have changed in 10 years. Also need to update plays.

Visited September 2013
beerlover78
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“entertaining and something different!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Normally New Year's plans are such a bust; and we just love staying in and cooking something fabulous and having some drinks. But a week leading up to New Year's I thought it would be fun to do something different. I always see little ads in the Pantagraph for the Barn II and I always think, 'gee, I'd really like to go to that sometime'. And then I proceed to completely forget about it until I see another ad for it. This time I saw they were doing a show for New Year's, so I gave them a call to see if tickets were still available. The woman who answered the phone was very informative, and I needed to prepay since it was New Year's. Normally it costs around $35, but for NYE it was like $62 a person. It included the buffet, entertainment, balloon drop and favors and midnight. And the place is BYOB! So I reserved a couple of seats. We drove to Goodfield on NYE, and the barn is on the property of a neat old farmhouse and several outbuildings. We were greeted at the box office right inside the door and then escorted to our seats, at a table of 8 in the second row. I knew we would probably be spending the night with many couples over 60 and I was right! Everyone at our table was nice, jovial, and fun. The waitress got our drink (choice of water, tea, coffee; soda is $1) and salad dressing order and promptly brought them out. Bread was on the table already for us, along with whipped butter and a garlic cheese spread and basket of crackers. Soup was also served. The buffet had fried chicken, turkey cranberry and stuffing casserole, pasta with shrimp, yams, baked potatoes, steamed vegetable and prime rib with au jus and horseradish cream sauce. Food was typical buffet fare, prime rib was a bit overcooked, but overall I was pretty happy with it. You then got your choice of dessert, which was cheesecake, carrot cake, coconut cream, or chocolate mousse. The show started with a warm up from a comedian telling lame jokes, but he did get a few chuckles out of me. And the show was a holiday revue, consisting of a few skits and many holiday songs. It was great! And our waitress was in the show, and during breaks would come refill our drinks. The show was over about 5 minutes to midnight, and the entire room counted down and was given favors and noisemakers, etc. Overall we had a great time and would love to do it again, it really is a nice escape from the usual bar/restaurant/comedy show, and a great value as well. Highly recommend it!

Visited December 2013
3 Thank beerlover78
El Paso, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good old-fashioned fun”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The buffet is fine - not haute cuisine but filling and generally good, with a couple of real high points. Coffee, iced tea and water are included, soda is extra, and it's BYOB. I don't drink, so it makes no difference to me. Desserts are just OK. Standard offerings are coconut cream pie, carrot cake, cherry "cheesecake" (the stuff you can make from a boxed mix), and a chocolate mousse layered dessert. The buffet offerings differ depending on whether you attend a Thurs-Sat show or the Sunday matinee. I enjoy the cinnamon roll at each place setting at the matinee, but the garlicky cheese spread and crackers on the table during the other shows is pretty addictive.

The regular cast is a lot of fun, and the more often I attend, the more I like them. I just attended the holiday show, which they change each year. I enjoyed it thoroughly, just as I always enjoy the holiday show. I tend to prefer the musicals over the straight-up comedies. It's fun to see which performer we get as a waiter/waitress each time. It's always a fun night out, and everyone is friendly. Go often enough and you'll start to recognize the regulars in the audience. It's true the demographic tends toward the older side, but that means you won't have to see a bunch of people texting during the show. Everyone's attention is on the stage!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank anna_chronistic
Chicago
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not too expensive night out”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Show and buffet dinner. Local troupe is pretty good. Food could be better. Overall enjoyable for the price.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank roadtrippersx2Chicao

Been to Conklin's Barn II Dinner Theatre? Share your experiences!