“Unexpected Delight in plain sight”
Review of Mario's Mondo Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mario's Mondo Cafe
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My companion and I had dinner on a Friday night during the summer (June, 29th) at about 7 pm. We had no reservations but had no problems getting seated. Tables were available inside and out. My date and I split two entrees, chicken picatta and tortellini in a cream sauce. Neither dish is complicated but getting them just right can be a challenge. In this case they succeeded big! Due to its intimate setting (small space) the whole restaurant exploded with great aromas when the kitchen got humming.
The appearance is modest, but the service and food are quite nice. there are a couple of things diners should note that set this apart. 1) They allow BYOB for wine. BIG BONUS points for that. 2) Live entertainment by low key professional pianists. His playing was well balanced providing nice jazz standards and not too loud as to overwhelm the guests in a small space. 3) extremely friendly staff. They were attentive without fawning. I did not try the desserts, but they looked home made and quite nice. Perhaps I will on my next visit.
Give this one a try.

2  Thank Skilly-IN
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Most of the items are made by the chef Mario... all is homemade. The place is a little hard to find as it is kind of hidden but it is well worth it.

1  Thank KevinF115
Reviewed March 23, 2012

You know how they say that there are hidden gems right around the corner? They are right! Marios is within a mile of our home, but we had not discovered it! Friends took us there and we are smitten! Great jazzy live piano, a sparkly and energetic wait staff, good friends, and best of all, absolutely amazing food. It takes a little longer, but everything is made to order. No steam table stale food here. Everyone at our table had a dish they adored. For me-chicken piccata! It was fresh, tender and tart--my favorite! Good portions too. My husband cleaned his plate! Good bread--fab salads with house dressing. And we took dessert home--they mad cannolli for us! Absolutely perfect combo of crisp and creamy. I can't say enough good things. Also BYOB! So great food, great ambience, and reasonable tabs!

Reviewed February 6, 2012

We have visited Mario's Cafe Mundo several times, and taken several different friends. We made reservations, and found out that they were having two sets of live entertainment. Both were wonderful, and we had a table right by the entertainment. Food was fantastic! They did not hurry us at all. We should have stayed the whole evening, but we were headed to a comedy club. You will not be disappointed. And it's wonderful to do BYOB, too!