“Do not stay here !”

Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Very run down - no maintenance for years, if ever - dirty- bugs seen in room - since I had booked on line I asked to see the room before checking in - we refused to stay and he says he is charging me for one night despite the fact that he first told me there would be no charges if we left - he was Indian and spoke English poorly - there was little, if any sound attenuation between rooms or hallways - and very unsavoury individuals just hanging around at 5 pm - the capper was that the door to the outside not only didn't lock - the lock had been drilled out if it.
We left -

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ph1641

Reviewed January 28, 2011

ABSOLUTELY NASTY!!!! Hotel has a nasty disgusting smell that actually gave me a headache. requested another room after leaving the window open for 30 minutes in 20 degree temps in an attempt to rid the room of the smell, only to close the window and it still smell. The new room was fine until the next morning when I discovered bed bugs crawling on the bathroom floor and 2 on the blanket!

I drive a truck over the road and stay in hotels 4 nights a week, and this by far is the nastiest hotel I have ever been in. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Dan C
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The toilet seat was cracked and nasty.
The wood on the door in the bathroom was severed.
The side entrance to the hotel had obvious break-in damage that had never been addressed.
The hallways smelled horrible
The room reeked of smoke even though it was listed (and marked as a non-smoking room)
The pillows reeked of smoke and the carpeted floor was damp and sticky. Ugh!
This is by far the worst hotel I have ever been in.
If I weren't staying for one night I would have preferred to sleep in my car!

Avoid this hotel like the plague!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Philosophica82
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We only stayed here long enough to find other accomodations for the night. This was a flop house and there was no way I was was staying here with my husband and children. There were gangs, prosititutes, drugs, it was disgustingly filthy, the bed was uncomfortable to sit on, the light in the bathroom didn't work and was filthy so even when it did finally it was dim and then we saw that bathroom and wish we hadn't, the front desk didn't have a working phone so they had to borrow my cell phone let hotels.com (where we booked this gem from and won't be using again) that we weren't staying, on my way into the lobby the general manager of the hotel hit on me and tried to grab my butt. Seriously, I could not imagine a worse place to stay. We couldn't not get out of there soon enough and take a shower. Yuck! Oh, this also goes by the name of "Rode-Way Inn" Beware! Do not stay here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank RitaLyC
Reviewed August 17, 2010

this was the worst hotel i have ever been to. The enviroment seems unsafe with drug users, dealers, prostitutes and pimps. The hallway smelled like mold and smoke. The room was dirty and had roaches. there is only one iron for the entire hotel which you return in one hour and there wasn't an ironing board so you have to iron on the bed. This is the worst hotel i have ever been to i DO NOT recommend any one to stay here at all. Also the security door did not lock therefore anyone could entire the building. This place is a nightmare. DO NOT STAY AT AMERICA'S BEST IN GLEN ELLYN.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Queenkt08
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I made the mistake of picking a hotel on line without checking reviews and just trusting the website I booked it with and the website of the hotel chain's pictures to start... My boyfriend and I took his two kids (girl 10 and boy 8) to stay the night like a mini vacation so we could all go swimming. When finding out the public pool would cost over $40 for a one day pass.... I decided to book a room instead so we could swim both days, I looked at a couple hotels online and saw this room that i thought was reasonably priced, the pool was open late, and the pics online didn't looked nice enough (not the Ritz Carlton or anything but clean). Oh god was I wrong. When we first pulled up, just the outside appearance and location made my boyfriend question even going in, but since we had already paid through this website I insisted we at least check it out. The lobby was GRIMY but the pool appeared clean and we had just driven an hour in rush hour traffic in the heat, so we checked in and headed to our room. He told us our room was on the second floor by the other set of doors, we had to walk up a creepy little carpeted stairwell that smelled and looked like the carpet was rotting. When we walked into the room the first thing we noticed was that the smoke detector was sitting on a table with wires hanging out the ceiling! Next came the bathroom that looked like someone sneezed all over the mirror about 12 times and the pink sticky substance all over the sink. But how could forget the beds! I didnt sleep on them but i took pictures of the bedding, the comforter what burned and ripped up, the blanket in between that and the sheet was burned and cover in DNA samples, i didnt exactly bust out the old fluorescent light, but it was SICK! Then the sheets were covered in brownish red spots Not even gonna think about that one. But the kids really really wanted to swim so we walked back over to the lobby to check out the pool, and so I could speak to the front desk about checking out! I had already called the company we booked it through online and spoke to a complete jerk to try and be put into a different hotel right then who refused and instead offered us a $30 voucher to use their site again HA! I walked right to the front desk and started talking to him about us checking out and a refund, and he, who i thought was on the same page, told us to enjoy the pool and come talk to him after.....So we hopped into the pool which looked pretty clean because half the lights were off! then when we got in we instantly noticed all the bugs floating around us! YUCK! That was it, I went to the front desk again and told him that we would be checking out and I expected a refund. I was basically told "Oh but you are in the nice room ma'am!" and that I should sleep on it and talk to the GM in the morning. I said there was no way in hell I would I would be having the kids lay in that bed and we were leaving and to call the GM because i wanted a refund of my $70 BEFORE I left. According to them I was out of luck! As we walked the short distance from the lobby my BF who happens to be a sheriff, pointed out the gangbangers smoking something out of a glass pipe just 10 feet away from the door we came out of on the hotel property!!!! When we went back into the room to get changed and get our stuff my boyfriend noticed something we hadnt seen earlier, I heap of ashes and burnt up pot in a pile on the headboard of the bed the kids called as theirs!!!! We grabbed the kids and RAN!!! But here comes the happy ending as we drove away I called the online company I booked this DISASTER on, and actually had the nicest guy ever help us out and got a full refund on them and after that I called the Glen Ellyn Police, who informed me that they had an extreme drug and prostitute problem at that hotel and it was definitely no place for children! They went to the hotel and an officer called me from the hotel and told me I did them a favor by calling them. Thank god Its over we got back a couple hours ago to our HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Cair420
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Bad service, did not write down room number, gave me wrong directions to my room, no elevators, bad area, people made me feel unsafe, disruptive hotel guests, no information of pool or breakfast, smelled bad, cigarette holes in sheets, broken tv, room was dirty. Please don't ever stay here, very unsafe and unfriendly and horrible experience, we did not even stay the night because we were so uncomfortable and they would no give us a refund!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank bstege
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison Area
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison ...
#1 of 1 in Glendale Heights
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard
Comfort Suites Lombard
Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard

Been to Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn? Share your experiences!