“Cozy comfort food - organic, fresh, gluten free, and more”
Review of honey cafe - CLOSED

honey cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I lived in Glen Ellyn for a year just over two blocks from Honey. It was fantastic to be so close and I ended up eating there about once a week or once every other week. They serve as much local and organic as they can and offer vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free items.
The cafe itself is located in historic downtown Glen Ellyn, a beautiful neighborhood of old buildings and cute shops. It's a nice area to stroll around on the weekends.
The food at Honey is like a siren song to me - I can't stay away. I'm a vegetarian and Honey's menu offers many, many options for vegetarians. I'm particularly partial to their veggie burgers (they make their own with veggies and spices), which are huge, delicious, just spectacular; the pesto grilled cheese; and the sweet potato fries. I've also enjoyed their beet salad and any time they do a risotto. The menu changes regularly with seasonal options, so there's always something new to try.
Honey is also great for breakfast with some lovely omelette combinations and eggs on a motorcycle with rosemary.
For drinks, at breakfast I like the personal french press of coffee or the chai latte. They offer local beers as well, with a selection that changes regularly. The wine menu is small, but generally pairs well with their menu and is affordable.
The servers are great, a lot of them really friendly, funny, and full of personality. It can get really crowded on Sundays at brunch time (LOTS of families from churches in the area) but I've never had to wait for a seat.
In all, a great local find with lots of fresh, delicious options and a nice atmosphere. I will always look forward to going back.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

After reading so many great reviews, I seriously was expecting more from this place and was disappointed. I live out in Chicago and was visiting my parents and decided to take them out to brunch at 1pm two Sundays ago. Place isn't even half full. I don't know how many servers looked at us walked past us and said they would be with us in a minute. That minute was almost 10. We get seated and we stare at our menus and wait for another 10 minutes for someone to bring us water. We tell the server we are ready to order and they say hold on they will get our server. Another 5 minutes pass and finally our server takes our order. She's really nice but we are hungry and annoyed that 25 minutes have gone by when the place isn't even busy.

Food comes out. My mom gets pancakes, my dad gets a honey mustard panini and I get the pesto grilled cheese.

Pancakes, they are okay. Not fluffy at all, kind of heavy actually. My mom got a stack of two with fresh strawberries, they gave her a stack of three.

Chicken sandwich was pretty good, juicy enough but the bread was hard as a rock.

Grilled cheese pretty good, but it's a grilled cheese, kind of hard to mess that up. What we all loved was the sweet potato fries.

Our brunch took over an hour and a half, I'm use to being in and out of a place for brunch when it's slow in under an hour. Prices were okay, server was nice but service slow. I was really disappointed especially after all the great reviews. I will probably stick with Honey Jam on Butterfield or Egg Harbor for brunch when I am out in the burbs.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

honey cafe is located in lovely downtown Glen Ellyn, a quaint village with gorgeous homes, some historical, and a gentile atmosphere. It sits on a corner and provides a natural inviting space with fresh vegetables and seasonal fruit, light and yummy pastries and intriguing and delicious menu items--unexpected combinations and playful presentation. Vegan and gluten free menu, also. Step out of the box and try honey cafe.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my first visit to Honey Cafe. I was wandering around nearby shops and an owner of one said she went to Honey Cafe every single day for lunch. She recommended everything on the menu but said she's never gotten the grilled cheese sandwich because grilled cheese is boring. Well, Honey Cafe's "Not Just Grilled Cheese Sandwich" is anything but boring. Aged white cheddar with slices of tomato and leafy arugula are grilled between slabs of homey multigrain bread that is spread with a delicious pesto. Definitely not boring and wonderfully delicious! I ordered hot tea with lunch and when I was ready to head out they said I was entitled to a free refill to go which I totally took advantage of. After reading the other reviews, I'm going to have to go back and take a closer look at that dessert display. Sounds enticing!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Fresh sustainable interesting young new cuisine menu with comfort food. We all enjoyed the lunch. Mac and cheese is really good, huge pot pies, great cupcakes and cookies.