“Eco-conscious quality indulgence in west suburban Chicago”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I was looking for a special place for my husband and I to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary, and was planning a getaway up in Wisconsin, but was intrigued by this nearby new hotel and stopped in for a look. Once I took the tour, I knew I had found the perfect place for us to enjoy . The hotel was built with eco-consciousness, and it shows in many details. First and foremost, the beds and room were designed with the expertise of a sleep doctor, with incredibly comfortable beds that allowed me to sleep straight through the night. Thoughtful touches like lavender air mist, ear plugs, and eye cover are included to create a wonderful sleep environment. The room itself was spotless, and being in the "quiet zone" of the hotel, we didn't need those earplugs. We enjoyed the roomy shower with 2 large shower heads in our corner king suite. The separate tub was great and filled very fast.

The hightlight of this hotel is the exception pool constructed with exquisite materials. It is beautifully designed and set in an absolutely lovely setting. We had the pleasure of having this pool all to ourselves--very fun and relaxing.

The hotel restaurant, Glen Prarie, was great. Again stylish yet very comfortable, with a focus on great food locally and seasonally sourced. Many items including wines were organically farmed. They have been recognized in Chicago Magazine for their efforts.

I still can't believe this kind of quality place is right in my hometown (of Lombard/Glen Ellyn.) Althought it is located right on busy Roosevelt Road, once you get inside it is like you have stumbled upon an understated, refined, well thought out calming oasis.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommom53

Reviewed October 9, 2009

My stay at the Crowne Plaza was outstanding. They definitely exceeded my expectations. The outside was a little disappointing. When I drove up I was wondering what I had gotten myself in to. It appeared run down and old. As soon as I walked inside, my perception immediately changed. It was very nice inside. The bar is gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The added free happy hour was nice. The gym and indoor pool were perfect for me. The only things I had wished for were a microwave near the vending area and Free internet. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank pudgeisaac
Reviewed October 2, 2009

The feel of the rooms was like a boutique new york style hotel but w/plenty of room. The sheets were clean and crisp. We had the two room suite and i slept on the pull out bed and slept as soundly as my buddy who had the huge king size bed. I should have led w/this but the staff was terrific. From the moment we checked in they made us feel welcomed (and considering we had come back to GE for our 30th HS reunion it was nice to be made to feel at 'home'). The bar and restaurant had a warmth and charm that was above the the typical hotel feel. But really it all came down to the staff of the hotel that made our stay so nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend. It's really nicely redecorated and the service is superb. The proper detail of each room is very inviting.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Glen Ellyn Lombard for 2 nights (a Friday and Saturday) in May, 2009. We chose this location because we didn't want to pay so much to stay (and park) in downtown Chicago, and wanted someplace with a nice indoor pool. We were not disappointed - can't say enough great things about this place!

We were *extremely* pleased with the clean, fresh, modern decor of everything, as well as the friendly staff. Our room was impeccably clean and the bed/linens were incredibly comfy! Literally, the ONLY issue during our stay was that the switch in the bathroom to turn on the fan and shower light did not work. It wasn't that important to us, so we didn't report it until we were checking out, so I can't comment as to how fast it would have been fixed.

I used the pool once (in the morning around 8 AM) and it was very inviting and clean, plus I had it all to myself. I didn't use the fitness center, but walked by it on the way to the pool and it looked very nice.

There is no breakfast included at this hotel, but they did give us a 15% off coupon for the Glen Prairie restaurant which is attached. We looked at the menu and thought it looked good, but did not end up going there. Instead, we tried Maxfield's Pancake House (just down the street) and were very pleased with that.

Be aware that using the wireless internet in the room will cost you $9.99 per 24 hours. We found it to have good signal strength and speed in our room.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
cpgel, Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2009

We are very excited to share our new hotel with travelers and I would like to thank you for choosing us. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 18, 2008

I took the advice of other Trip Advisor reviewers and booked this hotel for two nights.

I'm still raving at not only the incredible customer service the hotel provided, but also the affordable price given the modern design.

This is not like any other Crowne Plaza I have stayed in. I felt like I was staying at a downtown Chicago hotel.

The one feature I must mention is the in-room entertainment system. It is nothing like I have ever used. Basically for a flat fee (of $10 I think), I had unlimited acccess to all the high definition movies (adult and hollywood), full high speed access to the web with the in -room keyboard and mouse remote, the system also let me work (and print) my word and powerpoint documents thru a flash card. There were some other features I did not get a chance to play around with, like print my boarding pass.

Lastly, I am not sure about the previous review regarding the size of the bathroom, because I had a very large bathroom, so I guess I had different type room.

I hoep to be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hiijacker
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I was in the area (Westchester) for a week of work and stayed at this Crowne Plaza. I was pleasantly surprised and very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The hotel room was comfortable and all furnishings were brand new. As a woman traveling alone I often take into account the safety of each hotel I stay at and there were no problems at this Crowne Plaza and the neighborhood was just fine.

Like the other reviewer my only complaint was that the bathroom was quite small. This was really no problem for me since I was traveling alone, but adding a second person to the bathroom would have been impossible.

The staff is extremely friendly and courteous. Overall my stay was great from start to finish.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!