“No bottled water..... Clean rooms”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was nice, lobby is decorated very well.

I checked in and went to my room to find no drinking water at all, refrigerator was empty and not even one water bottle in the room, After a long flight and commute to hotel first thing i has to do was to walk outside and find a place to buy water.

I guess hotels need to realize that it is a good gesture to at least offer one water bottle to guest so they don't have to run around looking for one immediately after checking in.

Room was clean, bath room was clean, hair dryers was not fitted on the wall so every time you need to use hair dryer you have to remove it from its case and plug it in.

Location is basically in middle of no where, there are couple of restaurants nearby and one supermarket is 10 mins walking distance away.

Complementary wifi was of good speed, no in room safety deposit box.

Hotel offers shuttle service within 7 miles of the hotel, I did not use this so cannot comment on it.

Decent hotel, only stay here if you have some business in this area otherwise no.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for bringing to our attention regarding the water. We have now placed water behind the front desk so upon your next visit if you would like one we have it available. The hotel is centrally located near Interstate 88, Interstate 355 toll road and Interstate 294. Only 5 minutes away is Yorktown Mall and 8 miles away is Oakbrook Mall. These malls contain movie theaters, a plethora of restaurants, Home Depot, Costco and many more. The great thing about our hotel it is all accessible by our complimentary shuttle! I hope when you visit us next time you can take advantage of our shuttle and all the businesses are has to offer.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have to say, that I was pleased with the hotel. It does not have the normal Crowne Plaza look and feel, particularly as you are pulling into the driveway. On the other hand, this place really did offer the old Crowne Plaza comforts and service. The staff was friendly. The hosted happy hour was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

LHeap,

Great to hear that you liked the hosted happy hour we have Monday-Thursday nights from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Sounds like you enjoyed the food and drinks along with the many people who attend. I will let the staff know of your comments!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I had to travel to Chicago for business. We chose this hotel based upon reviews and cost. The positive reviews had it correct. Great value for this quality hotel. You won't be disappointed. The bed was very comfortable. And a little thing that both my wife and I found very effective - a clip specifically designed to hold the curtains closed so the light won't come in in the night! We were both impressed!

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside are quieter - but the noise from the street was a minimum.

Dear STL-Mike-Rose,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with your wife at our hotel. Thanks for the great compliments regarding the staff and the little special things inside the guest room like the curtain clips. My staff and I look forward to your next visit so we can make you feel at home while your away from yours!

Warm regards,

CarlC

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I tried this place several months ago and was not satisifed with their service and rooms. The King Superiors are tight. Rooms on facing Roosevelt get the traffic noise. However, rooms with even numbers are very, very quiet. The breakfast bar now has a better selection too.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room away from Roosevelt.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear ToughOLBird,

I am glad we were able to get everything right for you the second time. The staff here takes suggestions and comments to heart and they are not taken for granted. The only way we get better at what we do is from suggestions we receive from our guests like you. I will share the comment with the chef about the breakfast selections and that way he will be sure to keep moving forward on this. Also I am happy that you found the even roomed numbers to your satisfaction.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here because Oak Brook was packed. Wow, what a nice hotel! Never had stayed at a Crowne Plaza. Very pleasant stay. My fiancée and I got a great rate online and when we arrived they gave us a nice room right by the pool and vending machines. Perfect for us. The pool is really nice and clean and we swam for about an hour. No hot tub, but it was July and pretty hot so it wasn't needed. The beds and linens are nice and soft, but my favorite part of the room was the bathroom. The soaps/shampoos are really nice. I loved the modern shower too where there was no tub to step into and the water just drains right onto the bathroom floor. Pleasant staff, very accommodating.

Room Tip: Cheaper rates online.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Pat G,

I am glad to hear that you like our hotel and did notice your comment about the lights coming into your room. The next time you stay ask for a room that does not face Roosevelt road and there will be less lights to contend with and this should make the room a little darker in the evening.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to our area!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We chose to stay here first for the location, we have business right up the road, and second because it is pet friendly and we chose to bring our two 4 lb dogs with us. When we checked in we did not mention the dogs, but after settling in we read the paperwork givin us regarding internet et.. And it mentioned that they would like to have on record info on the dogs, so we called down and were told we had to move to the first floor, which is the designated floor for dogs. Ok so the next day we also asked to be near the back of the hotel because the road noise is very bad. This hotel is very close to the main road.
We have to give the hotel two stars because of the noise...noise...noise! The road, the doors slamming constantly, and the our room smelled like smoke. So at some point someone smoked in themroom and they cover it with a room spray that wears off in between cleaning.
No hot tub, and the back of the hotel room we had upon opening the curtains looked right into the workout room so you really can't open the curtains!
Stayed 4 nights and looking forward to leaving, sorry, we really wanted to like this hotel because there aren't any other pet friendly hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Stay off the road! Very noisy
1  Thank Barb K
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear BarbK,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay due to the noise of the road from your room and the fact that when you moved, the room looked into the fitness center. We do have other rooms available on the 1st floor that may be a better option for you, your family and your dogs. While I can't do anything regarding the road noise I have brought the door slamming issue to the maintenance department and they are checking all the doors throughout the hotel. Thank you very much for mentioning this in your survey. While we are a smoke free hotel from time to time we do experience guests that smoke in the room and this is very unfortunate, however I know that the housekeeping department strips the rooms down to nothing and thoroughly cleans the room when this occurs. I have met with the executive housekeeper on his procedure to ensure the correct steps are taken when cleaning a room of this nature. I would hope you give us another try when your travels bring you back to our area and if you would please call me to make your next reservations. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience and please be confident your comments were heard and addressed!

CarlC

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our family stayed here for a weekend get away. We were very happy during our stay. The location is nice to be close to the city. The hotel itself was great. The rooms were a good size and very clean. The staff was very friendly and willing to help with any requests right away. There were also follow ups by the staff to ensure all requests were made. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Carmen CD1,

I am glad to see that you enjoyed our Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove. The hotel is also very close to the City of Chicago like you stated about 20 minutes. I don't know if you had the opportunity to check out Yorktown Mall or Oakbrook Mall but they are only minutes from the hotel and offer many shops and dining options so if you have experienced our award winning restaurant "Glen Prairie" then you should check out Seasons 52, Bucca De Beppo and Maggiano's Little Italy to name a few. You also mentioned how well the staff took care of you during your stay and this is great!! The staff here at the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove prides themselves on their customer service. Thank you for taking the time to mention them. We look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!