“Outstanding”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Cedar Park, Texas
“Outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was my first stay at a Crowne Plaza and I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very welcoming and made sure that I was properly introduced to the Crowne Plaza Brand. The room itself was sized perfectly, nicely decorated and the bed very comfortable. I enjoyed the reading lamps on side of the bed, as well as the clip on the curtains that makes sure you get total darkness at night.

The only reason I couldn't give this hotel 5 stars is because of the bathroom. While it was clean, nicely appointed and had an awesome shower, its small. If you sat on the toilet with the door open, your legs would extend past the door. I am an average height 5'5 so that wouldn't have been a factor. However, the small bathroom would NOT keep me away from this property. Anytime I am in the area I will definitely stay at this property.

Because of my experience here, I am also much more likely to consider the Crowne Plaza for future business trips.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank businesstraveler212
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for our review, We appreciate you taking the time to share your experieces and look forward to having you back with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stay at this location 3 or 4 times a year. The staff is awesome and very friendly. The rooms are great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your choosing us and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed here over Christmas while visiting family. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. We had stayed here when this was a Holiday Inn and the improvement by Crown Plaza is wonderful. Will definitely stay here again when we are in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Batavia, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed the past weekend at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable and a little luxurious. After seeing the pool I was disappointed that I didn't bring a suit. I have nothing but good things to say.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We love to hear from our guests, thank you for your feedback n the TV listings. We will definately be looking into this for our "to-do" list. We look forward to haveing you back again on your next visit to the area.
Hanover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I recently stayed four nights at the Crowne Plaza, Glen Ellyn/Lombard, IL, while I was visiting family who live nearby. The dates of my stay were 26-30 December, so the hotel was not terribly busy. The room was clean and comfortable, and I slept well in the bed. The blackout curtains in the room had a large plastic clip on them, which you could use to make sure there was no "gap" in between the curtains...something small, but I appreciated it. (I like a dark room for sleeping.) The room came equipped with a small fridge, a safe, iron and ironing board, hair dryers. The bathroom seemed a little small to me (compared to bathrooms in other Crowne Plazas I've been in) but was clean and well-stocked. However, there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom.

There was a nice, large flatscreen television in the room, as well as an alarm/radio. I found the selection of available TV stations to be a little skimpy on some of the basic cable networks. I think management should give some thought to expanding and diversifying their channel line-up for their guests.

The hotel has a clean and well-equipped exercise facility, as well as a large, indoor pool, which seemed to be getting some use.

I only ate the breakfast buffet once, during my stay, in the Glenn Prairie restaurant attached to the hotel. However, my family members who live nearby say that the restaurant is excellent for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: I had a King executive room on the second floor that faced Finley Road, rather than the "main...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

We had a great experience with the Crowne Plaza, until the week of the wedding. Our original room flooded the Wednesday before our Saturday wedding and we had to be moved to another room. There was nothing that could be done about the flooding, but it was the hotel's reaction to the flooding that was very disappointing.
We were told from the beginning that there would be compensation for the change. First we were told that we would be given appetizers, desserts and a late night snack totaling over $1000. When we said that we felt the offer did not match what we were looking for, especially considering we could have ordered these foods from the beginning if we had wanted them, we were asked what we were looking for. We were also told that the management "did not want to over- or underwhelm us", which led us to believe that they were interested in working with us to rectify the situation.

I was then called one hour before our ceremony to be told that because of discounts we had already been given (based on negotiations made in December of 2010 which had nothing to do with the change in venue) we would be given nothing further. At the reception itself we were less than enthused with the extra food that we were given; we were later told it was worth less than $600, and when we went to the hotel bar after the reception, there were other hotel guests there eating and drinking. Considering we paid for the bartender to be there and the food was the hotel's "gift" to us, we were surprised to see people in the bar who were completely unrelated to our wedding party.

I feel like the Crowne Plaza took advantage of the fact that my husband and I were calm and understanding about the situation. We were told from the beginning that the change in venue would be made up to us, and the hotel chose to do nothing. I would be careful about choosing a wedding reception venue that does not keep its word.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

All but one of the service desk people were unfriendly and unhelpful. We had an issue with our room and were told maintenance had left early (?!) and we had to change rooms. The service staff merely brought us a new room key and left. We had to go to the front desk to ask for someone to come back to help us, so a man brought us a cart and LEFT AGAIN. So, we again had to go to the front to ask for someone to help us physically move, which was on the total opposite end and floor of the hotel, and now away from the rest of our party. We then went to the front AGAIN to complain and the MANAGER didn't even care or sympathize with us at all. The rooms are very small; my room had two "queen" a.k.a. double beds, and the only other room size is a king bed with a small pull-out. They also charged us a higher price than what they told us for a rollaway bed (because the rooms were too small for three to sleep...) Furthermore, the maids didn't clean our rooms until around 2-3 p.m. and they vacuumed the hallways at 4:30 p.m.... The only nice thing: the inside is updated and modern, and the pool and gym looked nice. I'm so thankful I didn't have to pay for this trip. I highly recommend not saying here....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we certainly appreciate every guests feedback and we will share yours with the staff. It is very important to each of us to continually do better and I hope that at some point you will come back to the Crowne Plaza Glen Ellyn and give us an opportunity to offer you the very best in service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!