“Clean and family friendly hotel”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Calgary, Canada
“Clean and family friendly hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed for business and found it to be Bright clean and in a good location. They have a hotel restaurant which is convenient too and manager reception with free drinks from 530 to 7pm. Rooms were nice but I found the hall ways noisy and could hear every time a door closed or even if people were talking softly.

• Stayed August 2011
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
We appreciate your staying with us, I hope that next time your in the area you will choose the Crowne Plaza again. We have a "Quiet Zone" set aside on one of our floors. Please let me know your coming back and I can set aside a room for you there.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Very quiet. Had a great pool for my grand neice to enjoy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your posting. I do love the pool, it is so beautiful and relaxing. A great place for a few days away.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Everything worked with this hotel. Friendly and efficient check in, plentiful safe free parking, decent restaurant (Simple but nice breakfast buffet for 14 dollars), spotless property. There's a good pool and a small exercise room that both looked good though I didn't use them. Free Internet. Room was big, clean, and the best part was that the third floor is a designated quiet floor. I never heard one peep. A sign said that housekeeping would not appear between 10:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. If only other hotels around the world would adopt this wise policy.

There's a good Greek Restaurant across the street where I had a fine meal.

Excellent firm, new beds. This hotel was comfortable and everything was spot on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank whitemountainman
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed the third floor, next time your in the area and book a reservation we would love to designate a third floor room for you. We hope to see you again soon.
Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The rooms like they had been recently refreshed, and as usual with Crowne Plaza properties, the staff were top notch.
Nice clean rooms, convenient location in the west suburbs, friendly staff and worth the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you back again soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Building itself appears to be older style from the outside, but appears to be well-decorated and generally cared for inside. Lobby area spacious and trendy, if a bit sparsely decorated. Front Desk staff was attentively though perhaps a bit frazzled. Our rooms were just down the hallway so convenient and overall seemed fairly quiet (which I was slightly concerned about considering there were offices near my room - though I think the hotel was also overall quiet). I was also pleased that I didn't hear much street traffic in spite of being on a fairly busy street.

Rooms are generally nicely decorated, though a bit on the smallish side. In the two rooms I saw, I would be hesitant putting more than 2 people into either room (though, to be fair, one of our rooms was handicap accessible so to get a large enough bathroom you lose some bedroom space). Nice touches to the rooms include laptop-sized in-room safes and small refrigerators. I also liked the coffeemakers which allow you to make just one or two cups if that's all you desire. Bathrooms were well appointed and well decorated. Shower was nice and strong

I was able to sleep on the bed with relatively comfortable pillows, though the bed itself was a bit firm for my taste.

Perhaps on the downside is just tiny things that gave a slightly "unpolished" feel - we had two rooms and one of them had a connecting door. Our second room wasn't the connected one and, while the Front Desk was happy to move me there, I didn't get that room as the lock wouldn't work properly. Front Desk gave me the impression this was an ongoing problem. Layout of the room also, perhaps given the smallish size, was perfectly conducive to everything you might want to do in a room. Phones in room, which were cordless (and I'm not sure cordless is all that necessary in a hotel room), worked okay but "didn't feel right" - it's being a bit difficult to put my finger on exactly my concern, just that something felt a tiny bit off.

Neighborhood seemed safe and served my purposes fine, but clearly a residential area with little tourist reason to stay. I also didn't get the feeling this could be a "business" hotel as I didn't see much in the way of large businesses that might have need in the area - some local retail, a KMart, etc. Again, very residential geared to the point of wondering why there is a need for a hotel in such an area. That said, again it seemed quite safe.

Exercise room, while I got lazy and didn't partake, looked pretty decent - especially for a hotel. Cardio plus some weights, both machine and free weight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I were wanting to just get away from everyone and have alone time for few days. We were staying a hotel 20 minutes away, and we wanted an extra night, but our previous hotel was full so we decided to use hotwire and book the crowne plaza. Although on hotwire, it didn't say crowne plaza, I knew it was through forums & such since we travel and having been booking hotels that way for 4 years now and we wouldn't book if we didn't know which hotel it was. The reason why I picked Crowne Plaza was based off the reviews on tripadvisor and their pool looked real nice.

So, once we checked in, the woman in the front counter wouldn't say a word to us except get our names. I'd get their names but none of them was even wearing name tags which is not common from my travels. I asked her for a king size bed room since it's me and my boyfriend, and she tells us that there is no king size and that since we booked through hotwire, it gives us queen. That is the first time I have ever heard that, and my boyfriend asked if there is no king size room in the ENTIRE hotel and she said Nope, and wouldn't hear anything else from us. I felt so shutted out and I have never met anyone so blunt and rude. I was just kind of shocked, and didn't know what to say. We went to the room, and we couldn't believe it was true because the parking lot was empty, the restaurant and pool was empty and there was BARELY anyone at the hotel! So we looked up the hotel website and saw tons of king sized rooms available (most of them add some entertainment thing option added to it) so I decided to book the room on the website to prove a point. We went downstairs, and asked why they would say there is no rooms available...and they got upset with us. So my boyfriend basically got very upset, and basically told them we just booked a room for King although the woman made it very clear that there was none available, and I can't tell you HOW RUDE the other woman was (she took over and tried to "fix" it). She said the king room is an upgrade (again, first time I've ever heard that before) so I asked her, why not tell us that from the beginning? What if we want to pay for an upgrade? And she explained that the entertainment option is 14 dollars extra (It includes DVD player, internet, etc etc on the TV), but then later on, she slipped and said she can get rid of the entertainment option, so basically all the king sized rooms with entertainment options can be removed to be given as a standard king room...Seriously? And she got mad at me when I asked her questions? ANYONE who wants to stay there...REMEMBER - All king rooms with the entertainment option can be removed to be given as a standard king room in case they try to pull the same thing with you.

They really upset us so much, that we were feeling really bitter. The rooms are wonderful and the wifi is unlimited and free...and the pool is great. The food is definitely WAY too expensive, it's good but very small. There's tons of restaurants or takeout in the area for 2nd options...Such a shame because we would have enjoyed ourselves a little bit more, but it took the relaxing experience away because everytime we went to the desk, we got a very angry attitude from them. I don't even understand what we did wrong to them in the first place! I paid 120 dollars through hotwire which was only 30 dollars difference from their website, so it wasn't like it was a inconvenience for them pricewise.

Seriously...NEVER, EVER going there again unless they change the staff. Horrible experience. I've been traveling my whole life and all over the world, and this was the worst experience with their staff I've experienced. Stay at the sheraton suites in Elk Grove instead, that's the best hotel for relaxation and work - and I use hotwire every single time to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pamela G
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I spent one night at the Crowne Plaza in Glen Ellyn during April 2011. Finding the hotel was a bit of a challenge as it doesn't exactly appear hotel like from the outside. Once inside, the front desk made me feel right at home. The staff were professional and very helpful. This hotel is somewhat smaller than most Crowne Plazas that I have stayed at, but has all the basics.

My room was comfortable and quiet. The HVAC system worked well and I didn't wake up at all during the night. The bed, mattress and pillows were all of good quality. I enjoyed eating in the restaurant/bar on the ground floor. There was a simple but appealing menu in a nicely decorated restaurant with a good environment. Once again, the staff were professional and helpful. I would stay at this hotel again if given the choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thanks for spending time with us this weekend, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on tripadvisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Lombard Oak Brook
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!