“Overall a good stay, if slightly unpolished delivery of hotel experience”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Dallas, Texas
“Overall a good stay, if slightly unpolished delivery of hotel experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Building itself appears to be older style from the outside, but appears to be well-decorated and generally cared for inside. Lobby area spacious and trendy, if a bit sparsely decorated. Front Desk staff was attentively though perhaps a bit frazzled. Our rooms were just down the hallway so convenient and overall seemed fairly quiet (which I was slightly concerned about considering there were offices near my room - though I think the hotel was also overall quiet). I was also pleased that I didn't hear much street traffic in spite of being on a fairly busy street.

Rooms are generally nicely decorated, though a bit on the smallish side. In the two rooms I saw, I would be hesitant putting more than 2 people into either room (though, to be fair, one of our rooms was handicap accessible so to get a large enough bathroom you lose some bedroom space). Nice touches to the rooms include laptop-sized in-room safes and small refrigerators. I also liked the coffeemakers which allow you to make just one or two cups if that's all you desire. Bathrooms were well appointed and well decorated. Shower was nice and strong

I was able to sleep on the bed with relatively comfortable pillows, though the bed itself was a bit firm for my taste.

Perhaps on the downside is just tiny things that gave a slightly "unpolished" feel - we had two rooms and one of them had a connecting door. Our second room wasn't the connected one and, while the Front Desk was happy to move me there, I didn't get that room as the lock wouldn't work properly. Front Desk gave me the impression this was an ongoing problem. Layout of the room also, perhaps given the smallish size, was perfectly conducive to everything you might want to do in a room. Phones in room, which were cordless (and I'm not sure cordless is all that necessary in a hotel room), worked okay but "didn't feel right" - it's being a bit difficult to put my finger on exactly my concern, just that something felt a tiny bit off.

Neighborhood seemed safe and served my purposes fine, but clearly a residential area with little tourist reason to stay. I also didn't get the feeling this could be a "business" hotel as I didn't see much in the way of large businesses that might have need in the area - some local retail, a KMart, etc. Again, very residential geared to the point of wondering why there is a need for a hotel in such an area. That said, again it seemed quite safe.

Exercise room, while I got lazy and didn't partake, looked pretty decent - especially for a hotel. Cardio plus some weights, both machine and free weight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I were wanting to just get away from everyone and have alone time for few days. We were staying a hotel 20 minutes away, and we wanted an extra night, but our previous hotel was full so we decided to use hotwire and book the crowne plaza. Although on hotwire, it didn't say crowne plaza, I knew it was through forums & such since we travel and having been booking hotels that way for 4 years now and we wouldn't book if we didn't know which hotel it was. The reason why I picked Crowne Plaza was based off the reviews on tripadvisor and their pool looked real nice.

So, once we checked in, the woman in the front counter wouldn't say a word to us except get our names. I'd get their names but none of them was even wearing name tags which is not common from my travels. I asked her for a king size bed room since it's me and my boyfriend, and she tells us that there is no king size and that since we booked through hotwire, it gives us queen. That is the first time I have ever heard that, and my boyfriend asked if there is no king size room in the ENTIRE hotel and she said Nope, and wouldn't hear anything else from us. I felt so shutted out and I have never met anyone so blunt and rude. I was just kind of shocked, and didn't know what to say. We went to the room, and we couldn't believe it was true because the parking lot was empty, the restaurant and pool was empty and there was BARELY anyone at the hotel! So we looked up the hotel website and saw tons of king sized rooms available (most of them add some entertainment thing option added to it) so I decided to book the room on the website to prove a point. We went downstairs, and asked why they would say there is no rooms available...and they got upset with us. So my boyfriend basically got very upset, and basically told them we just booked a room for King although the woman made it very clear that there was none available, and I can't tell you HOW RUDE the other woman was (she took over and tried to "fix" it). She said the king room is an upgrade (again, first time I've ever heard that before) so I asked her, why not tell us that from the beginning? What if we want to pay for an upgrade? And she explained that the entertainment option is 14 dollars extra (It includes DVD player, internet, etc etc on the TV), but then later on, she slipped and said she can get rid of the entertainment option, so basically all the king sized rooms with entertainment options can be removed to be given as a standard king room...Seriously? And she got mad at me when I asked her questions? ANYONE who wants to stay there...REMEMBER - All king rooms with the entertainment option can be removed to be given as a standard king room in case they try to pull the same thing with you.

They really upset us so much, that we were feeling really bitter. The rooms are wonderful and the wifi is unlimited and free...and the pool is great. The food is definitely WAY too expensive, it's good but very small. There's tons of restaurants or takeout in the area for 2nd options...Such a shame because we would have enjoyed ourselves a little bit more, but it took the relaxing experience away because everytime we went to the desk, we got a very angry attitude from them. I don't even understand what we did wrong to them in the first place! I paid 120 dollars through hotwire which was only 30 dollars difference from their website, so it wasn't like it was a inconvenience for them pricewise.

Seriously...NEVER, EVER going there again unless they change the staff. Horrible experience. I've been traveling my whole life and all over the world, and this was the worst experience with their staff I've experienced. Stay at the sheraton suites in Elk Grove instead, that's the best hotel for relaxation and work - and I use hotwire every single time to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pamela G
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I spent one night at the Crowne Plaza in Glen Ellyn during April 2011. Finding the hotel was a bit of a challenge as it doesn't exactly appear hotel like from the outside. Once inside, the front desk made me feel right at home. The staff were professional and very helpful. This hotel is somewhat smaller than most Crowne Plazas that I have stayed at, but has all the basics.

My room was comfortable and quiet. The HVAC system worked well and I didn't wake up at all during the night. The bed, mattress and pillows were all of good quality. I enjoyed eating in the restaurant/bar on the ground floor. There was a simple but appealing menu in a nicely decorated restaurant with a good environment. Once again, the staff were professional and helpful. I would stay at this hotel again if given the choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thanks for spending time with us this weekend, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on tripadvisor.
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stayed here for a early Father's Day surprise-a family trip to Chicago & soccer game at Toyota Park. I reserved adjoining rooms for our family (3 kids and an infant). The hotel provided one adjoining room which did not adjoin to our other room which ended up another floor! The hotel was unable to give us rooms that adjoined. When we returned back to our rooms after the soccer game, the air conditioner was stuck on in one of our rooms-even when the thermostat was set on to heat and on high, the hotel was unable to do anything for us-we were stuck with a freezing cold room and an infant. Our other room had the opposite problem-the room was was to hot. The hotel refused to send someone to fix the temperature problem. For a Crowne Plaza hotel we expected better service-the hotel refused to offer us any kind of compensation-not even a free breakfast-it was a horrible experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jeepkitty
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
I am terribly sorry that your celelbration ws not to your expectations, we strive to make each guest exprience the very best and we did not do so with you. I would love to speak with you directly please give the hotel a call and ask for the General Manager, I want to make things better and I look forward to talking to you.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2011

When we first pulled into the parking lot we wondered if we made a mistake - outside appeared "dated" but we were wrong! Inside the front door all our fears disappeared! Fantastic service, Excellent Front Desk personnel and check in was without any problems.We were upgraded from 2 Q beds to a King room suite due to need for double beds. The new room was awesome, very clean and comfortable. Great fitness facilities and pool. Couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hawaii
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The service and staff were very friendly and competent. Having a quality restaurant on site was very convenient ; service and food at both breakfast and dinner were much better than typical hotel fare.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I had the pleasure of having to stay in the western suburbs for an event. The interior of this hotel rivals an mid-upscale hotel in downtown Chicago. It has big windows, which are adequately covered by blackout shades when need be. The interior of the rooms are contemporary with a light blue and brown color scheme. The mini-bar cabinet with small refrigerator inside is really cool. Flat screen mounted on wall has great HD picture and can be seen well from entire room.

The pool is the best I've ever seen in a hotel- it's huge and actually gets almost 10 feet deep on the deep end. Only complaint with entire hotel is that there is not hot tub. Fitness center is well equipped and clean. One neat feature in the hotel is that they have purified water dispensers in the fitness center and on each floor. They have recyclable cups so you can take the filtered water to your room, rather than have to buy water bottles.

Restaurant is great- atypical for a hotel restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!