“Very surprising”

Sergio's cantina
Ranked #26 of 147 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Very surprising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I got an Amazon local coupon for this restaurant and I honestly didn't have high hopes. Reading some of the reviews on here and also my past experiences with most Mexican restuarants having pretty bland run of the mill food. However, I am very glad we gave it a shot. The place is fairly small and about 1/2 the tables were full and the server got to us right away. Of course we got a very large order of chips and salsa which I thought were pretty good. We also tried the bacon and pineapple guac which we both loved. The combination of salt with the sweet of the fruit were amazing. For our entrees my husband ordered the carnitas platter which we both thought were sooo good and I ordered the combination platter with a steak taco, a tamale and a shredded beef tostada. We both thought the best one was the tamale but the others were also very good. I noticed the refried beans were some of the best I've ever had as they had a very nice different and unique flavor. While this place is definitely out of the way and would take a bit for us to get there we will definitely return.

• Visited May 2014

Chicago, IL
“Excellent food & margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great, warm chips with delicious salsa. The guacamole is excellent! We enjoyed the flautas & tostadas entrees. Margaritas are the best... And half price on Tues & Thurs.

• Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Downhill.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were there this past Saturday at 730PM. We were seated right away. After about 15 minutes of waiting, the young hostess brought over some chips and salsa, still no waiter. About 5 minutes later a waiter finally came over to take a drink order. Took forever to get the drinks. We had to ask for silverware and napkins. Food came out and it was just terrible. Our party of 4, we just wanted out. The check came and it was shockingly expensive. The noise level in there is just horrible. The dishes were dirty and it was just a mess. The place is so small on the inside, we usually sit outside but it was supposed to rain. Anyhow, let's just say I never complain about food, but this place pushed me over the edge. They need to reevaluate there operation and start paying attention to details. Start by cleaning the place.

Illinois
“Tasty Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our family ate at Sergio's on a warm and sunny fall afternoon. We opted to eat outside. While I did enjoy the experience with the Spanish music playing, it was a bit loud with the street noise. Other than the noise, we had a good experience at Sergio's. I really enjoyed the lite chicken flautas which were extremely tasty even without cheese and sour cream. Also, the corn and black bean side with lime juicy was something I want to make at home. Others in our party ordered chicken quesadilla, carne asada, and bean burrito. Everyone enjoyed their meal. The chips and salsa were good and our server refilled them at our request. The server was efficient. I would definitely go back to eat at Sergio's, but would probably sit inside next time.

Illinois City, Illinois
“Long wait for food, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just returned from a frustrating evening at Sergios. Was surprised to get a table right away as there was a festival going on in town and it was difficult to even get a parking place. A very young waitress took our orders. Skinny margarita was very good, complementary chips/salsa also very good. 45 minutes later our water glasses were empty and we were tired and full of chips/salsa by this point and still waiting for our food which finally arrived after about 50 minutes. My husband had steak and chicken fajitas. I ordered the light enchiladas. Had requested no red sauce. They were smothered in red sauce. They were simply horrible, couldn't eat them. Ended up ordering chicken fajitas which were very good and surprisingly received in less than 15 min. so have no idea why our original order took so long to arrive. Asked again for water glasses to be filled. The waitress disappeared for 10 minutes. Have no idea what she was doing. Possibly waiting on tables outside as they looked busy on the patios. We had a $15 gift certificate which the waitress took when we ordered our food. Bill was presented without the $15 taken off. So more waiting. She wanted me to sign the copy with the original amount which she had already credited and gave me a copy. I did not sign it, but she seemed very confused. She was a sweet girl and maybe new to the job, but I have never waited this long for a meal or had such poor service. She did give me fresh avocado as I requested and did not charge me and only charged for the original dish which was $3 less than the fajita dinner. We have eaten here before and had a great meal, but doubt we will return. I'm rating the food average because the fajitas were good, but the light enchiladas were terrible.