“Cozy & Romantic”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Chicago
“Cozy & Romantic”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband & I stayed here for one night during the holiday season. The Inn was decorated beautifully. This is our second stay here and I think we loved it even more this time. Our room was so cozy and beautiful. We had a fireplace and a french door looking out onto a patio with the river in the background. It was so pretty. I wished the weather was nicer so we could enjoy the patio! The bed was comfortable & I loved the huge shower & whirlpool tub in the bathroom. They bring milk & cookies to your room in the evening. Coffee was set up in the bar area in the evening and we stopped in for a drink before retiring. The bar is cozy & friendly. Unfortunately we missed breakfast so I can't comment on that. The Herrington is a great place for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanaChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed December 22, 2008

My husband and I had lunch at the Atwater's Restaurant in Geneva. We didn't have a reservation ( didn't think we needed one Dec. 22) but the place was packed. It was already mid-afternoon and we were very hungry. Luckily we were offered a table near the bar area by our gracious server Marci. She kindly set the table with linens, silverware and offered us something to drink.
The food was very good! My husband ordered a butternut squash soup followed by London Broil, both very appetizing. I had the Shrimp "Provencale" (pasta , shrimp and vegetables in a light sauce) very tasty. The lunch included a nice, fresh variety of rolls as well.
The place is very quaint, on the bank of the river. The atmosphere, the beautiful Xmas decorations, and the fireplace reminded us of the inns in the English countryside, very romantic.
A great place for a romantic lunch or dinner. We plan to be back, with reservations, to enjoy the inside of the restaurant.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank trvlbufElmhurst
Rockford,Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We recently celebrated our anniversary at the Herrington. If you want a romantic place, this is the place to stay. The staff was very friendly. The Inn was beautiful. We ate at Atwaters. The meal and service was excellant. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay memorable. Will highly recommend this Inn.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jadee5
Germantown, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 29, 2008

I just returned from a 3 day, 2 night stay at the Herrington. After hours of research on the internet for a place to "get-away", I knew that this was the place for me. From the moment I called to make my reservation, they treated me with care and respect. That level of customer service continued the entire stay. The entire Inn is warm and inviting, not like some 4-star "stuffy" hotels. The rooms are comfortable and the fireplace adds a touch of home away from home. I ordered room service twice and both times it was delicious and delivered quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed the spa..... again, great customer service. Shops (and Starbucks) are within walking distance. The walkway along the Fox River is very peaceful. I couldn't have imagined a better place to "run away" to for a few days.

• Liked — The warmth of the Inn and the people that work there.
  • Disliked — Honestly, I can't complain about anything.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank jdpone
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception (120 people) in August 2007, so we've seen the ins and outs of this property, spoke with everyone from the bell crew to the manager, seen and stayed in different rooms of the hotel, and have eaten here several times and tasted a lot of food.

Let me start by saying the property is outstanding. It has a romantic view of the Fox river, it is the heart of downtown Geneva, and is very peaceful and quiet. It is meticulous - very clean, the staff is always sharp and helpful, and the food is fantastic.

The service is excellent - and we have really been able to experience it. The day before our wedding, a huge storm and series of tornadoes swept through the area. There was a widespread power outage, and the Fox river was historically high and threatening the property.

We were supposed to be married outside in the courtyard, but the weather was not cooperating. I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding and witnessed a 24 hour hotel crew pumping water outside of the courtyard, sandbagging, and doing everything they could to keep the hotel grounds as beautiful and spotless as possible. I was worried about our event the next day, hoping the power would be on, that the hotel wouldn't flood, and everything would be OK.

The staff was exceptional. They took care of everything. The courtyard outside was too soggy for our ceremony, but they put together an elegant ceremony inside and everything went beautifully! You'd never know the weather chaos the day before.

Everyone kept telling us how excellent THE FOOD was. How they've never been to a wedding with such terriffic food. We had the filet with the asparagus risotto - it was to die for. The catering manager surprized me - she had the chef put big flowers on the dinner plates, something I never knew was coming. She was at my side all night. I never had to ask for anything.

Our wedding night was spent in the most beautiful 4 poster king bed. The room was huge with a fireplace and a balcony with a view of the Fox river. The free continental breakfast in the morning in lobby was great.

I can't say I have a single complaint. Not one. The rooms were a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. If you are considering staying here for a romantic weekend, go for it. Geneva is not the hottest town, but it's quiet and charming. Can't wait to come back for our anniversary.

• Liked — Charming, quiet, romantic
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Krissy31
California
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I was booked into the Herrington Inn & Spa in Geneva, IL by my company for a business conference and fell in love with this little gem.

Much like a bed and breakfast, with a bit more services. Not cheap, but well worth the extra coin.

The rooms are large with marble bathrooms, a jetted tub and separate shower, a giant canopy bed, and a gas fireplace. My room faced the rushing Fox River.

I understand that the spa is heaven, but was unable to partake due to my time limitations.

They have a "distinctive dining" top-shelf restaurant and there are many great places to eat within walking distance as well. The lobby bar is quite cozy.

The hotel is small and the staff attentive. In fact, cookies and milk come with the turn-down service. Beware, those cookies are dangerously good!

The meeting facility was one large room, and is detached from the main building, giving you a real calming sensability after your work is completed as you come back into the most inviting lobby.

I recommend that, should you have business in the western suburbs of Chicago, you book yourself into the Herrington Inn. You won't be disappointed. If you are a local, it goes without saying that your next romantic getaway must be to this lovely little inn on the Fox River.

• Liked — Peace and quite, lovely room, and ambiance
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank cwcharacters
Naperville, IL
Reviewed January 4, 2008

My wife and I are just back from a two-night stay at the Herrington. (Our last stay was 3 years ago.) We were very satisfied with the service, atmosphere, and facilities. We had a Junior River Suite. The views of the Fox River with the fresh snow were beautiful. King canopy bed, fireplace, CD player, DVD/cable, comfortable 2-person jacuzzi, refrigerator, and ........ cookies and milk every afternoon! A perfect getaway spot. The staff accomodated our request for an early check-in, and was professional and courteous throughout our stay.

Geneva has many options for dining and shopping, and
St. Charles is only about 5 minutes away.

We highly recommend the Herrington!

• Liked — Quiet and private; great river views; had every amenity needed for a terrific getaway.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joe_Drutz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles
Hotel Arista
Hotel Arista
#1 of 18 in Naperville

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!