“Going downhill”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Herrington numerous time since 2004 (12-15 times). The first few years, we felt that this was the best hotel in Chicagoland. It was our romantic get-away. The last few times we have stayed, we began seeing things start to go down hill (stains on carpets, loose faucets, broken floor tiles in the bathroom, the potpourri was at least 5 years old, tube TV, etc.) When we stayed in January 2013 it was obvious that someone had laid on our bed prior to us entering. they said the were training the housekeeping staff. This last time, November 23, 2013 was our last trip. We walked into the room and did our normal sweep and in the bathroom there was lingerie hanging on the bathroom door from the last people that had the room!! Disgusting! We started looking around the room and there were cobwebs all over the ceiling, the four poster bed was full of dust and the carpet had un-identifiable stains. There was a chunk out of the corner of the wall and holes where something used to be hanging. It makes one wonder what they are cleaning. How can you miss lingerie hanging on the back of the door? Then to top it off, the now have a "Passion Kit" as part of their wet bar. It is beginning to resemble a rent by the hour place. I expressed my concerns to management and apparently they are willing to lose me as a customer. This place costs $250+ a night! I think a $50 a night place would be cleaner. Save your money and go to a Hampton!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brian B
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is very disappointing to hear that we did not live up to this promise during your stay with us.

Firstly, please allow me to apologize once again for the issues encountered regarding the previous guest’s item and the wall damage you experienced in your room upon arrival.
We at the Herrington Inn & Spa have always had and continue to have the highest expectations from our housekeeping department. As discussed during your stay our executive housekeeper was advised and immediate action was taken both to rectify and prevent a repeat of this below par service occurring again.

Our wet bar stock caters to a wide spectrum of guests, from our corporate clientele to those celebrating their wedding night. It is unfortunate that some items have caused you offense, of course should you return to the Herrington Inn & Spa we will be more than happy to remove any items you feel inappropriate prior to your arrival.

Thank you once again for your feedback,

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Seeking a private retreat and an evening "just the two of us," we booked at room at the Herrington Inn. The bathroom is incredibly luxurious and we enjoyed sitting at the fireside and reading to each other. The milk and cookies was a fun little add-on, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The cons to our stay were mostly that the room we were given was far from the service desk...up three flights of stairs and along the back of the building. Quiet, yes. Easy to get our luggage to, no. We were also slightly disappointed that it was a 2-person BATH...no jets. The rain shower made up for it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Just_me_wandering
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I would be interested to know in which room you stayed. If you could contact me at the hotel at your convenience.

Kindest Regards & Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We booked this location as we attended a wedding reception directly across the street. The Herrington had a good amount of difficulty getting the reservations for the wedding block set up and we had to confirm and fix reservations and number of times but in the end the hotel figured it out. Rooms were a little on the high side for what we got but the location couldn't be beat for us. Night time cookies and milk were a very nice touch. Balconies had an excellent view of the review and a beautiful courtyard for our room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during the reservation process. I trust this did not create any inconvenience on the special day. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel should you wish to discuss the matter.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Herrington Inn & Spa very soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Every one of the staff I'd encounter asked me how my day was going and if there was anything I needed. It's rare that you get this level of customer service. They gave us a ride to and from dinner but you can also walk to many restaurants and shops. We had a 1st floor room with a great view of the river, which is literally a few yards from your balcony. The cookies and milk of course are a nice touch. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We enjoyed the delicious milk and cookies in the evening by our fireplace in our white robes in the room. The decorations can be a bit old fashioned, but the bathrooms are definitely luxuriously modern. Delicious breakfast of fruit, cheese, cured meats, tea, and coffee. The breakfast reminded us of our stays in Mexico. A stroll in island park after breakfast and along the river was the perfect way to end the stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback.

As the nights draw in and temperatures drop our Milk, Cookies, Robes and Fireplaces seem to becoming ever more popular! They will await your return.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this as I sit on my balcony enjoying the beautiful Fox River. The staff here are so friendly, they treat each guest like a VIP. The room was cozy and relaxing. We ordered a bath basket from the spa which was a wonderful in-room way to feel pampered. We did have breakfast at Atwater's. The food was delicious and the staff friendly and attentive. We plan on coming here again. This is a wonderful place to get away from everyday life.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback.

We strive to give every guest the VIP experience, a home away from home and the surroundings to forget about the world outside. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. The in room Bath Menu always helps!

I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

For the past two years I travelled on business to Geneva, staying at this charming hotel. This past trip, booked for pleasure 3 day weekend really disappointed. I booked a premium, river south facing room. I was given a corner room "118" on the back of the hotel, overlooking the parking lot and the private home next door. There is a bit of river view from a corner window. In addition, two large exhaust fans are outside my parking lot windows. I called the front deck and was informed despite the price I was placed in the correct room category. No offer to change despite my repeated dissatisfaction with the room. As I loyal, repeat customer I'm baffled. This hotel let me down.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joseph B

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is very disappointing to hear that we did not live up to this promise during your latest stay with us.

In response to your feedback we have altered this particular room’s classification to ensure your disappointment is not experienced by any other guests.

I do hope the remainder of your stay in the alternate room was closer to your expectations.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back and regaining your trust in The Herrington Inn & Spa very soon.

Stewart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!