“Underachiever”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Fiora's has, unquestionably, the most lovely venue of any restaurant in about a ten mile radius. And then they screw it up with so-so food and uneven service. They need a top notch chef who can really make this place sing. It could be so much more.

1  Thank GonzoM5

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We were in Geneva for a short one night getaway. There are several nice restaurants in Geneva but this one was new to us. Tried it for lunch and went back for dinner. Like many businesses in Geneva, it is in a converted house. The bar looks like a library, book shelves, cozy dark wood tables and bar. Restaurant has a fireplace and a more casual sunroom dining area. There is outside dining in warmer weather and we're told a band on Friday and Saturday nights. I had the special that day. A delicious salad with mixed greens, spinach and the usual additions. Blue cheese dressing and 2 skewered pieces of filet mignon. Outstanding! Too bad it was a special and not on the menu. Friendly staff, lovely inviting atmosphere. We'll go back when in town again.

3  Thank stringerOakLawn
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The setting is an old home-converted into the restaurant. Many small rooms which divide up dining areas. There is also outdoor seating, but due to the cool weather during our visit it was not open. The menu is somewhat eclectic, we had short ribs in a wine sauce with wasabi flavored mashed potatoes. Was well prepared with excellent presentation. The waiter really made the evening with his knowledge of the menu and his service. He was the best server we have had in the last year. The location is South Third Street and well located to the quaint shopping district in Geneva. I have no reservation recommending the establishment. Their menu is online-but their daily specials are not, but presented by the wait staff.

2  Thank Sugar Grove Guy
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We are residents of Geneva but just discovered Fiora’s last weekend. What a gem!
Located conveniently in downtown Geneva, Fiora’s is an unassuming restaurant located inside what appears to be an old house. There are several “rooms” to eat it, ranging from the library, to the wine cellar to the sun room. Having been captured by the twinkling white lights, I called & made reservations for my husband & I to dine in the sun room, which looks out onto Third Street. So quaint.

The service was attentive (almost too attentive at times, but I’ll take overly friendly vs. rude & snotty any day.) Our reservations were at 6:00 and we were awkwardly seated next to the only other occupied table. Thankfully the room quickly filled up & we no longer felt like we were on a double date with complete strangers. I did appreciate that we never felt rushed. It’s a special treat for my husband and I to enjoy a leisurely dinner, without kids, and our server was very good at pacing the meal for us.

Our food was very good. We started with bacon popcorn. It was good, but not nearly as enticing as the name sounds. I followed that with a cup of Asparagus Soup, which was tasty but overly heavy on the asparagus. My husband had a spinach salad and enjoyed it. For his entrée, my husband chose the pork shank. The sauce was on the vinegary/mustardy side but after a few bites, the sharpness subsided and it was very good. I had the filet medallions. The steak was cooked to perfection, I literally cut it was a fork. Again, the (port wine) sauce was a little overwhelming. I will definitely order the steak again but ask for it without the port wine sauce. The potatoes were very tasty and it was served with fresh, perfectly cooked asparagus. One other thing work mentioning is that each menu item has been paired with a wine, available by the glass, which is very convenient when you’re the only wine drinker at the table. Their wine list is extensive and they do offer re-corking service if you don’t finish the bottle, also nice if you find a bottle you really enjoy.

Now for my favorite part – dessert! My husband had the cheesecake served with fresh berries. I had bourbon pecan gelato topped with a serving of Godiva Dark Chocolate liquor. AMAZING!!! I’ll go back for that alone. What a treat.

All in all, they were fairly reasonably priced. My husband & I had an appetizer, we each had a soup/salad, entrée, dessert & I had a glass of wine. Total tab: $109+tip. Not something we’ll be doing every week but certainly worth a visit every now and then for a night out. I do recommend making reservations and if you’re looking for something a little more romantic, request the sunroom after dark. The ambiance is lovely. Enjoy!

2  Thank bmgonz
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We just went back after a meal when they first opened when you could not hear the person across from you. The noise issue is better now. Awesome view and location!

Good: food good, staff, wine selection, atmosphere

Bad: for the money it should be better

Inspired: No one when we went