“This place is amazing!”

Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Chicago
“This place is amazing!”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I noticed that people who came into town to spend the weekend enjoying Geneva were always heading to Bien Trucha as if it were some secret gold mine. It took my friends and I about 3 tries to get in and get actually get a seat in this busy yet tiny restaurant but we finally got it. The shark tacos are amazing, who am I kidding EVERYTHING is delicious. What on earth they do to their food to make it taste so good, I have no idea. The drinks are perfect are all hand muddled... served by VERY attractive men. The prices are decent but I will warn you that the wait staff is very skilled at getting you to add on this or that to get your bill up there. This place doesn't look like much from the outside but is very much like a big city experience once you're inside.

Chicago, Illinois
“Would rate Bien Trucha very highly if it...”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Would rate Bien Trucha very highly if it were not that it is incredibly tiny-- even after an expansion. Almost always large grouping of people outside waiting to get in. Once seated there is no privacy as tables are crowded in tightly. We actually left the last time we got in because they seated two intoxicated loud women right on top of us. If you want to try their great food or fruit waters, carryout is a wise choice.

Chicago, IL
“Long wait, EXCEPTION Experience”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Yes, we really did wait 2 1/2 hours to be seated...and it was mostly worth it......We arrived just before 6 pm and the place was PACKED....it is little...but it was PACKED and there were tons of people walking over to it. Told the wait would be 2 hours we gave our cell phone and headed down to Stockholms to have some drinks and pass the time.

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

About 8:15 pm we decided just to walk over and see if we could "force" our way in...but in the two blocks the phone rang and they said our table was ready.

We arrived and it was "almost" ready.....small bar with probably 8 seats, it was lively with loud music going....reminds of a trendy NY spot...small with the table close to each other...but with a GREAT "vibe"..... and lights are very dim (hard to read menu)

I would guess there is no more than 16 tables in the place, but there are two clean/large bathrooms and service was excellent. Only downside was that we were seated somewhere around 8:30 pm and they close at 10 pm.

The drinks from the bar are small, but EXCEPTIONAL with fresh squeezed juice, and just enough alcohol to be stiff, but great tasting!!!

The food is an experience by itself, I didn't have any of the guac or the ceviche del mes, but everyone at the table LOVED them. The entrees are all tacos, and they served us with 8 (one for each) at a time. I thought the beef and pork tacos were the best, and I didn't really like the shark. I am not a tapas guy at all, but I will admit the food was something interesting and special.

Service was perfectly spaced between the different tacos, and drinks and water were constantly full, while the plates were cleared between each "course". It was easy to have conversation and really fun. Only thing I didn't like was the folding chair I had to sit on.

Place is always packed and it should be. It is a MUST DINE experience!!!!!

2 ceviche del mes 17.90
2 guacamole trad 13.90
2 tacos est playa 21.90
2 pescadillas 17.90
2 tacos arrachera 17.90
2 tacos al pastor 17.90
1 tacos pescado 9.95 (there are actually 4 mini tacos)
2 esquites 5.90
2 arroz poblano 5.90
4 pear mojito 43.80
4 mojito 35.80
12 traditional (marg) 95.40
1 tomatesta 10.95

Subtotal - $315.10
service - 63.01

Total - $401.76 **Its funny because the tacos are really small, the drinks are fairly expensive, but I was full (and very happy) after spending $100 per couple -- maybe because the margs were so good!!!

2 Thank mwalno
Chicago, IL
“Fun, lively, a little loud, small space... excellent food and service”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My wife and I have been there twice and will continue to eat there. Freshly prepared food, served by friendly wait staff. The place is a little crowded and a little louder than we'd really prefer but the food is very well prepared and served. It's possibly the best 'mexican' restaurant in the western burbs and reminds me of Frontera Grill downtown Chicago. ... I said 'reminds me of' ... it's not exactly in the same category but it's a close second and a huge step up from every other Mexican place west of I-355.
Must haves: Guacamole del Dia, Taco's ala Diabla, Taco's Arrachera and Pica Pica. All were excellent but we've decided to work our way through the entire menu over our next several visits.
(No burritos or chimichangas. No Budweiser or Miller Lite. ... just right!)

West suburbs Illinois
“very fun place, lively, loud, great dishes”
Reviewed December 14, 2009

cocktails are very tasty and stylishly presented, food served tapas style so go with 4 or 5 people at least and try several items
and share the dishes -- we all voted the bien trucha beef tacos at a favorite

it is a tight space and they play the music loud and its an open kitchen - be ready to talk loud and also be ready for a long wait -

but do try it for the great food and drinks - i am glad they opened up in Geneva -- also if its totally jammed there are at least 10 other places in walking distance -