“Landmark Geneseo Restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2014

It is extremely rare for a restaurant to remain relatively unchanged and consistently good for over 50 years. The Cellar opened in the cellar of the Geneseo Hotel in the early 1960's as an up-scale restaurant for a rural town of only a few thousand residents. Quality food and good service have remained remarkably consistent over the years. Using an open charcoal grill, this is one place where they prepare your steak exactly as you ordered. If you want medium rare, that's what you get; and it is tender and flavorful.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We don't go to the Cellar often, and I don't know why. It is an excellent restaurant. The filet was one of the best I'd ever had and their BBQ shrimp is famous. Great appetizers and lots of wonderful entrees. It reminds me of an old supper club with a lot of ambiance. You are in the cellar of an old hotel so the ceilings are low. The service is great and the servers have been there a long time and know their business. They also have a nice wine list. We need to go back sooner, not later!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

If you like a good steak, than this is the place for you! The Cellar has been around forever and hopefully it will be there forever! They are always busy so a reservation wouldn't hurt! .

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have been to the Cellar numerous times and was greatly disappointed by this last visit. I ordered a filet which is one of the more expensive items on the menu-you would think a bit more care would be taken in preparation but unfortunately I ordered it Medium and the filet came out Medium-Well to Well-Done. You have your choice of sides and broccoli was mostly stalks and a bit of floret. Their sweet rolls are normally wonderful, but these seemed a bit stale (maybe from the night before). Our party order chicken livers that they raved about (I just have to take their word on that) and fried mushrooms and onion rings. You also get a salad with your choice of dressings. I've never tried any fish besides shrimp, but I hear the catfish is great as well. You may have some difficulty there if you have specific food allergeries, so I would be mindful if necessary. Lastly, they have a great bartender and after-dinner coffees. I imagine I would visit again, but likely order a cheaper meal if their quality is decreasing.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Been there once, several years ago. Food was amazing, but the staff was only okay. The reason we haven't returned is we called for a reservation and were basically told to "forget it!" When asking about a later time on the date, made to feel stupid, actually hung up on.

HAD to pick a date listed on this site, couldn't pick "long time ago." :)

1  Thank K-INKStat2

Been to The Cellar? Share your experiences!