“Not Good”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Geneseo
Altoona, Iowa
“Not Good”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Staying here right now. I am traveling with others for work otherwise I would be switching hotels. Let's start with the smell when you first walk in (this should have been my first clue to suggest to the others we go somewhere else). It reeked like whatever food the "managers" made for dinner. Absolutely disgusting and even as i sit here I can still smell it from my room on the 2nd floor. It does help cover up the stale smoke smell in the hallways though. The carpet is filthy, stained and I don't know that anyone has ever vacuumed along the edges. The location is okay and the wifi seems to be working well however I can't wait to check out in the morning.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Justice, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Dirty, worn out and pretty disgusting. They put an oval toilet seat on a round bowl! Why? They charged $15 for our dog for cleaning. They should have put the $15 towards cleaning the room before my dog stayed there so HE didn't get fleas. My dog was constantly walking around smelling stuff on the bed, floor, walls - everywhere! The carpeting was gross throughout the entire hotel. Couldn't sleep because we were so grossed out and wondering what we were going to take away with us when we left!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was in my GPS as a Super 8, but has been re-branded as America's Best Value Inn, which it isn't.

The room was large with a good bed, but the A/C made lots of noise (on a very hot day) and I took the cover off during the night. The TV (old-style) was out of focus, the pool was "temporarily" out of order, and breakfast was lean.

Wifi worked OK, also, but I should have gone back to demand a different room.

With a quieter A/C it might have been average, and there isn't much choice in this town, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We read the mixed reviews after our stay, and can say that our experience was great. our understanding is that this super 8 is under new management,.

Tha rooms were very clean (and I am very particular), the pool was a treat and well kept. Breakfast was standard continental fare, it was fresh and the eating area was clean.
The staff was friendly and accommodating as were traveling with a cranky infant and all they saw was cuteness.
As stated in other reviews it is a little off the interstate but not more than a few minutes. We Will stay here again

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Jamie A
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I already had a rough day of driving when I stumbled into this motel of last resort. The only positive thing I can say is that the staff was friendly. The room was appalling. From the visible crumbs all over the floor to the large mystery stain on the chair seat and the skid marks on the comforter... it was truly foul. I happened to be in a smoking room where even the ashtray hadn't been thoroughly wiped clean and I won't even start on the bathroom.... except to say that the toilet seat had clearly seen better days and that's being kind. The offensive food smell mentioned by another reviewer is STILL on my shirt! I'm shocked this dump had ANY positive reviews. For the 80 bucks I was charged just for me for one night... the cleaning crew could have slapped the rag around that room a bit harder. The owners should consider springing for some new furniture and linens!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Lvnewsguy
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I found this Super 8 location to be very nice and clean, with friendly staff, and affordable as most Super 8's are. Not much to say except it was clean and comfortable and an excellent value, which is what I look for when traveling. This location is not right on the interstate, so it may be easy to miss for the casual walk in traveler. But it was well worth a five minute drive into town. The breakfast buffet was your standard fare of cereal, fruit, danishes and donuts etc, but everything seemed fresh and well laid out. I didn't use the indoor pool but it also appeared well maintained. My main kudos go to the friendly staff, who seemed concerned with my comfort and went out of their way to make my visit memorable. Very cute little town too, I liked staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Granville, Michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2009

When you have 7 people in your family you usually either ask for a room for a family without specifying you have 5 kids or you get two rooms. While neither one seems fair, it was a nice surprise to stumble across this hotel with a room for up to eight people. They have a family suite with 3 double beds and plenty of room on the floor for more. While it was nice to have a spacious room, we were disappointed in the temperature of the heated pool (there should be a minimum temp before they can call it heated). The kids still swam, but even they thought it was cold. It's a fairly small pool (14 x 25), but we were the only ones swimming so that wasn't too bad. The continental breakfast was your typical pastries, cereal, breads, etc. Nothing fancy and some of the pastries seemed a little old, but it saved us from having to go out so it was alright. I also almost forgot about the smell in the common areas. I think the owners are from India and the cooking from their living quarters was coming into the other areas. We didn't smell it in our room (which thankfully also did not smell like smoke even though it was a smoking room) and it was better in the morning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank GangOfSeven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneseo
Best Western Geneseo Inn
Best Western Annawan Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites East Moline
Super 8 Le Claire/Quad Cities
Holiday Inn Express Le Claire Riverfront - Davenport
Comfort Inn Moline - Quad Cities

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Geneseo? Share your experiences!