“Horrible Customer Service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garden Prairie
Holiday Acres Resort
Reviewed August 15, 2012

As campers for many, many years, we have never experienced such a terrible place with such poor customer service. For $25 a night for tent site (which we rented two costing us over $100 for a day and half) which advertised a pool, store, restaurant, mini golf, playground, fishing pond, bike rentals, etc., we were willing to pay the price. However, upon arriving at 3:30 in the afternoon in August (prime vacation time), we were shocked to find the store closed and no one including any campers anywhere to be seen. We had to call to get someone over to register us and they were not too happy when they arrived. From there we head to our tent site passing a pretty gross looking playground that was very outdated and dirty and then a bunch of seasonal's which were not kept up at all. We came to the tenting area and although we were very pleased with our site right along the river and no neighbors at all since no one was there, things quickly went downhill. We headed back to the store to get wood and ice and it was closed again. Another phone call and we were told we could get it at 6 pm. It was 4:00. So we hung around campsite a bit and shortly thereafter a golf cart arrives with a guy acting clearly annoyed that we didn't come to get our wood and ice yet and would we please do so now. It wasn't anywhere near 6:oo yet so we didn't get it, and you'd think they would have just delivered it but we had to drive back to the store. The port-a-potties in the tenting area hadn't been cleaned in quite some time and you couldn't even get in them with all the flies surrounding it so we had to walk to the public bathrooms some distance away only to find those just as filthy. Showers were quite an experience with curtains either missing or hanging by a thread and ice cold sulfur smelling water. You needed a shower following your shower. The next day we decided to go to the pool. We passed the store (again...closed) and the mini golf place which looked unplayable. Got to the pool to find it locked up and vacant as well as the so called restaurant next to it. Ran into a man on our way back to our site and he said pool would be open by 10:30. We didn't get to go back until early afternoon and when we arrived it was chained up. We noticed as well that there were many chairs around the pool and every one of them was broken and rusted. Pool looked dirty too so we were fine that we couldn't go in it as we probably would have chosen not to anyhow. Went back to our site and fished with our grandsons and played in the creek (which I later read on line from another reviewer that you are not supposed to go into, yet no one told us). By late afternoon we were bored and disappointed with this "RESORT" and decided to pack up and leave. We stopped at the store on our way out to tell them we were leaving. CLOSED. We drove away. When I returned home I wrote a letter to the campground explaining our concerns and asked that we possibly get some of our money back as they did not provide what they advertised. He wrote a nasty letter back to me telling me I was a liar and his campground was so wonderful and that they just don't find they need to cater to people who come Sun-Thurs as they have such a great seasonal crowd who come Fri-Mon, but apparently they don't mind still taking our money. This is the worst campground and management ever. Don't go!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Deborah B
Skip K, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

In response to the above posting:

-The cost of a primitive camp site without electric is $25.00. Please check the website for rates, they are posted. Check the other campgrounds in our area and you will find our rate in line with the rest.

- We have a pool, store, mini golf, two playgrounds, bike rental, and restaurant ( Friday & Saturday hours ). We do not have a "fishing pond", nor do we advertise having one. There is however fishing on the Kishwaukee river which runs through our park. All of these amenities are available ( except restaurant ) during the week. The store is not staffed during the week, but is available. There is a phone number displayed to contact staff if a camper needs anything, not to mention we all live within steps of the store. We are ALL available 24/7. One of the staff who brought ice and wood is my son, the other a family member. I see no reason for them to lie about what happened. I will address your other statements as I go.

-As I stated in my response to your email, our primary campers are either seasonal or from the Chicago land area and are here on the weekends. None of our week day campers have ever conveyed to us any of the problems you and your family have stated, otherwise, changes would have been made to rectify those issues. We have a large number of repeat campers, from tents to RV's, not to mention a substantial number of seasonal campers who would not camp with us if the "problems" you stated were true. I would be happy to provide or post any of the numerous letters we receive on a weekly basis telling us what a wonderful time they had staying with us.

-As for the condition of the children's park, port-a-potty, bathhouses, and pool area, as I stated in my email, I find your descriptions to be untrue. The children's park is cleaned on a daily basis, is not run down, nor does it have broken benches. The same goes for the bath houses and bathrooms. Our ground staff is out and about checking these very things every single day.
I have yet to go to a campground that does not have well water or that sulfur odor. As for being cold water only, again, I have to refute your statement. I agree you may have to run the water for a few minutes before it becomes hot, but there is hot water in all the bath houses. The shower curtains are not "hanging by a thread".

-The pool is open, as it is every day ( weather permitting ) at 10 am. Entrance is through the bath house. The gate is kept locked adjacent to the parking lot for security purposes. As I replied to your daughter's posting and your email, none of the chairs are broken or rusted, nor is the pool dirty. Again, I would be more than happy to post photos.

-Please check the website photo page; you will find many of our campers swimming and tubing in the river. We have not be told by the county that the Kishwaukee river is unsafe for fishing or swimming.

-The response email I sent back to your husband ( not you ) was neither "nasty", nor did it say that we did not "find the need to cater to people who come during the week, nor did it call you a "liar". You were simply upset that we would not refund your money. Again, I would be more than happy to post my reply email or send it to anyone who would like to read it.

What I truly do not understand is if the first 3 hours of your arrival were so terrible, why did you stay? There are other accommodations available in the area and we would have happily refunded your money that evening if you chose to leave. In your email you stated that "for the $100 which is more than we would have spent in a very nice hotel where we could have had a pool" ( I'm quoting word for word ), again, why did you stay? Your family didn't bother to bring any of the complaints you listed in either your email or your review postings to the attention of any of the staff while you were here. As the owner of an east coast B&B yourself, you would hope any of your unhappy guests would bring the cause of their unhappiness to the attention of staff. Please do not use the excuse of a closed store as a reason for your lack of being able to complain to us while you were here, you just chose not to do so.

As in any business, no matter what you do, you just can't please everyone.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Acres Resort

Baymont Inn & Suites Rockford
Hampton Inn Rockford
Hampton Inn Rockford
#2 of 24 in Rockford

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!