“Good quality fairfield”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Galesburg
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galesburg
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel once or twice a year for the last several years to visit family. It is always dependable, quiet, clean, and the staff has always been helpful when necessary. Just don't stay in the King room directly above the pool as it is noisy. A big plus is free wireless. The breakfast is what can be expected at this type of hotel. If you want something better go to the cafe on Seminary just before you get downtown. In my opinion, this is the best hotel in Galesburg. I've tried all the others.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed here for a family reunion. The hotel was in good shape, although the tub drain ran a little slow. Many, but not all of the rooms have refrigerators.

When the air conditioner broke down, maintenance brought in a new unit and swapped it out quickly, no problem.

The free breakfast was good, with make-your-own waffles and other treats.

It's in walking distance to the Sandburg Mall (Sears, K-mart) and Target, although Downtown Galesburg has much more character (shops, restaurants, a railroad museum and historic buildings).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Had to be in Galesburg for a few days and this was the only hotel available during that weekend. I generally avoid the Marriott due to its non-smoking policies, but here I had no choice.

The hotel was just about ok for its price. The rooms were clean. The wireless worked. And the location was fine for the few activities Galesburg offers.

Strictly functional, but I guess you can't expect much more in a small town.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2007

What can I say, the Fairfield Inn in Galesburg, Illinois, never ceases to amaze me with its mediocrity after at least a half dozen stays. The staff is friendly, and the lobby and pool area are clean but super basic. Other than a location on the "strip" with Appleby's, Perkins, Lowes, and a couple other yucky fast food joints, there is little to recoemmend this hotel. Lake Storey, a decent park, is about 2 miles drive away. It has a lake and is reasonable for biking and playing sports, although it's small.

We got the deluxe king bed room, which is only $10 more per night than a regular room and gives you a sleeper couch, a microwave and a 1/2 size refrigerator, all more than in a basic room. Perhaps also about 100 square foot larger room. The room was modestly clean, nothing really horrible, but the staff really should walk in and try to see it from the eyes of a guest. For example, the window is filthy with handprints and general filth, and should be Windexed promptly. Everything is so-so. Low ceilings and small bathrooms, but I suppose that is what Fairfield is all about. The bathoorm is redone within the last five years, but could use a thorough scrubbing.

Some disappointing things are clearly under the control of management and staff. The continental breakfast, for instance, is cereal, a couple of danishes, and juice or milk. Period. I have stayed at all types of Marriotts, esp Fairfields, and to not have oatmeal, donuts, better fruit selection (there were a couple of old bananas and oragnges), daily yogurt (had it one day, but not the next), is really quite poor. I have nothing to say except, of all the Fairfields, Courtyards, Springhill Suites and Residence Inns I have stayed in--and there have been many--this was the worsst free breakfast (breakfast included) I have ever experienced.

Another example would be wi-fi. Free, it's says. They gave us a "code" when we signed in. My Dell notebook, which has no issues signing in anywhere, could not link with this circuit. Even when I used the Broadband connection that requires the sign in and security code, it did not work. And staff was as clueless. I don't need Geek Squad IT staff, but if you claim to have internet, you;d better damned well be able to show me how to connect on my Dell.

This hotel is right across the street from the Sandberg Mall, a very mundane, lower eschlon mall in a dying railroad town called Galeburg. I have travelled here many times, and other than making a wonderful time out of nothing with my son (who I could invent a fun time with a Coke can and a little imagination), there is zilch to do here. Peoria is 39 miles away, so that is something. But other than that, Galesburg has little to offer the traveller. The Fairfield Inn is, frankly, the best of the heap. And a low heap, it is.

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

The Fairfield Inn, Galesburg, is the one-eyed king.

Note that, off the Sterling Street exit in Peoria, exactly 39 miles from this Fairfield Inn, is a Springhill Suites by Marriott which I have stayed at twice. It can be seen from I-74, it is new, it is similarly priced, and has a whale of a great free breakfast,. first class rooms, and is a pleasant stay in every way. If Peoria is a goal, choose the Springhill Suites over the Fairfield Inn Galesburg, or even the Marriott Hotel or Residence Inn in Peoria (both about one mile from the Springhill Suites, but not nearly as nice).

Enjoy Galesburg, Illinois. Home of Carl Sandberg, and the local penitentiary. Oh, and railroads. Plenty of railroads.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Smythe77654
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I have stayed here twice before (Jan & May 2007)& found it to be average and price-wise OK.But I had to stay several nites this time and 2 different nites, not in a row, had to call the mgt to complain about cigarette smoke (hotel is smokefree). 1st time mgt must have found source quickly, but 2nd time I had to open a window-I was on 1st floor & wasn't wild about that. I complained when I checked out & was given a 5% disc by a clerk who knew nothing about either time. A fine is posted in the hotel for smoking-it would have been nice to hear that the culprits were fined. I won't stay there again for that reason only.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2007

When we made this reservation, the hotel claimed that there would be ongoing construction in the lobby of the building. However, there was also more construction going on in the hotel that we were not told about. Had this information been shared with us, we would have booked elsewhere for the stay. The management of this property failed to inform us that they would be replacing carpeting in the hallways outside our room at 8:30 am on Sunday morning. As we were celebrating relatives 25th wedding anniversary the night before, this was a problem. In addition, at sometime near 10:00 or 10:30 am, the hot water to the building was turned off. My wife managed to get a warm shower, but I was not so lucky. There is absolutely no reason to have construction going on outside of guest rooms at 8:30 AM on a Sunday morning. It is also completely inexcusable to cut off the hot water to a property without notifying the guests first.

I registered my complaints with the front desk clerk when I checked out on Monday. As the clerk was a new employee, she simply took down all of the information I gave her and passed it on to the manager. I also registered a complaint with corporate and they said they forwarded it to the hotel. After three different calls to the hotel manager, I am still being ignored. This hotel does not care the first thing about customer service, and Marriott's standards have dropped extremely low as well.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZMike-7
Reviewed January 20, 2006

My wife & I stayed here in Jan. of '06. We were able to get an outstanding deal thru priceline.com for this property. We left extremely pleased. Rooms are spacious, modern, clean. Front desk was polite, check-in/out was prompt. Has a nice indoor pool and a nice lobby with a television for relaxing and meeting with friends.

Location is good, lots of restaurants nearby, as well as Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee grocery, a movie theatre, etc.

I highly recommend this facility.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank razorback70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galesburg
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#8 of 11 in Galesburg
Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Galesburg? Share your experiences!