“Right of the highway”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Galesburg
Springfield, Illinois
“Right of the highway”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

An older HIE. However, upgraded showers, beds and linens. Nice amenities mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair dryer, microwave and refrig. Unfortunately, the refrig was so loud, I had to unplug it to sleep. The temp was hard to control as well. Would have liked to have had a night light. Usually I just keep the light on in the bathroom and close the door. However, the noisy vent didn't allow this. There isn't a nice restaurant within walking distance...although there are plenty downtown. I went across the street to HY VEE and had a simple chicken dinner for about $5.00! Not bad. Check in/out was easy and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Semomu
HotelServiceRep, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are currently putting a plan together to solve these issues. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Whitney Hendricks
Guest Service Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I spent a night here on a longer trip, and the property seemed very clean and nice. Linnens were typical for Holiday Inn Express, with choice of Soft and Firm pillows, nice towels, good assortment of toiletries. My room was on the third floor, with a King size bed, microwave, mini fridge, and bathroom. Location is convenient right off I-74, with a grocery store and gas station in walking distance. Restaurants are down the street, an easy drive. The staff was very nice, and I had no issues during the stay. Internet access was excellent.

The only thing that keeps this from getting five stars is that the property seems a bit dated and in need of a refresh. The exterior paint was a bit faded, and the interior of the room looked like it was older. It was clean, but there was some chipped paint, extra caulk around the top of the tub where wall paper was starting to peel, and the like.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had a good stay here. Of the larger chains in Galesburg, this was our favorite. The staff was pretty friendly and helpful with a full hotel. The breakfast was good. The room was ok. Everything was pretty clean. Very clean compared to some of the other hotels in Galesburg. The pool was a bit heavy on the chlorine, but probably safer that way with the number of people that were using it over the course of our stay.

As with all hotels in Galesburg, you have to pay way more than you'd expect. That's we've gone to staying in Peoria. We pay less and get better quality. I'll deal with the drive. That being said, on future trips where I need to stay in Galesburg, this would be my choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Doug V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Doug V,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Our goal is to ensure you feel valued and appreciated and I am happy our hotel exceeded your expectations. I am glad to read you liked our staff service, clean hotel and breakfast options. We would cherish another moment to host your next stay when you are in the area again. Thank you again for your review.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Loami IL
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice and friendly place to stay while traveling with pets. The staff is very accommodating. Highly recommended. Extra charge for the dogs was not out of line. The only draw back is the rooms look a little tired. They are clean and well stocked. An empty refrigerator and a microwave are standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank micnmac
Marion, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stay in Holiday Inn Express properties all over the Midwest and this place is pretty typical. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms had everything I expected and were very comfortable. It does seem that the rooms could use a bit of renovations as they are getting a bit worn. My only real complaint is the price. This place was nothing special but was priced about 25% higher than similar properties.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We checked in late, after dark, and were so happy to have a room. It was a very nice room, clean and quiet. Breakfast was a treat the next morning, bisquits and gravy, eggs, most anything you would need. Folks at the front desk were great, friendly and helpful. They did charge a lot ($25) for our small dog but we were happy that she was welcome there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I approached my room with much trepidation, because I had been reading a lot of negative reviews regarding hotels generally and a few regarding this hotel specifically on TripAdvisor, so I was prepared to find all manner of fault. Frankly, I also have had more than a few bad experiences with Holiday Inn, so I have tended toward the Hilton chain for quite some time now and never been disappointed. But I needed to stay in Galesburg and there was no Hampton Inn, so I took a chance on HIE. First off, I had requested a room on the third floor away from the Interstate, based on a prior review here, and foam pillows. Check, and check. Interstate noise was non-existent, and had multiple foam pillows, some marked soft, others firm. The Wi-Fi was wholly adequate to support MMORPG video gaming, even at the far end of the building. Everything was clean with towels galore. I would catch the faintest whiff of some smell occasionally, and although it didn't quite smell like tobacco, I marched down to the front desk to tell them about it, because even if it was not objectionable, I didn't want to be charged for it (see the fine print in the contract you sign at check-in). But the receptionist just laughed and said I wasn't the first person to notice the new furniture smell. Oh, okay, if it wasn't a problem for them, it wasn't a problem for me. Breakfast was a bit of a step up from the usual fare at Hampton Inn: scrambled eggs, enough bacon to feed an army, ham slices, biscuits, and of course their trademark cinnamon rolls. There was also cereal and I think pancakes, but who would want them with all the other tasty food? I'm trying hard to find something negative and I guess it would be that the clock was blinking when I entered the room, so I had to set the time. I know, right? I've been in hotel rooms for which I've hundreds more and had the same problem and couldn't even figure out how to set the clock. So as to everything that mattered, I was much impressed and would stay again. I did get a substantial discount on the rate, so I rated value highly, but I was a bit surprised by the standard going rate at this hotel and all the others in Galesburg. Of course, I can remember when gas was 33 cents a gallon and you could buy a 24-pack of Coke for under $4, so I guess it's me. :)

Room Tip: I had room 322 and the furniture was new and the exterior noise greatly suppressed.