“Comfortable stay in a refurbished historic home”
Review of Great House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galesburg
Great House
Ranked #1 of 3 Galesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a lovely, carefully refurbished and updated historic home with large columns in front and a great staircase. Feels like you're in Gone With the Wind but in a town that hosted the Underground Railroad. Rooms are comfortable, clean, and spacious. The breakfast around the dining room table was very fresh, tasty, and served in style at the time we requested. There is plenty of easy parking in back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank RyanLChicago
There are newer reviews for Great House

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We statyed there 19-22 Nov 2012. We had a wonderful stay at Great House. We love B&B's and this one is at the top of our list. My husband was born and raised in Galesburg, so we went there to visit his family for the Thanksgiving Holiday. I can't stay with his familiy due to my allergies to anmimals. Betty is such a gracious host. She made each breakfast a culinary adventure. YUM! The rooms are large and well appointed with antiques and books galore. We stayed in the Lincoln Bedroom, so of course, it was appointed with all things Lincoln. We saw the movie "LINCOLN" while there last week which enhanced our B&B experience. The house was built in 1857, before the civil war and is a grand house. We prefer B&Bs over hotels, and this one exceeded our expectations. Thank you Betty for sharing your home with us. Gary and I had a wonderful time and will stay there again when we return. We'll be sure to book early.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lincoln room as it had a King sized bed. I think the other two rooms have Queen si...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gharaldson
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Beautiful house! Historic, but bright and airy. Each room has its own bathroom and tv and sitting area. Old houses sometimes seems musty, not this place at all! I always wake up in hotels with a stuffy nose-I woke up breathing easy! And breakfast is truly the best thing I've eaten in Galesburg. Fresh fruit, beautful omelette! When I travel assume I have to bring my own food for breakfast as I can't eat gluten. She asked about food sensitivities when I made the reservation. I couldn't arrive until 9 pm, no problem! Loved the owner. Loved sitting on the porch reading the paper and listening to crickets. I come to Galesburg often. Great House made it feel like a little vacation in a historic railroad town instead of a chore!

Room Tip: Didn't mean to select pool and fitness center, obviously none there. Tripadvisor won't let...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank siamtropicals
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We recently spent two nights at The Great House. It was an absolutely delightful experience! Betty was a great hostess, and we thoroughly enjoyed visiting with her. She provided an "over-the-top" breakfast both mornings. If you're going to be in or near Galesburg, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We recently enjoyed a great stay at the Great House while my son was visiting Knox College. The Great House was the perfect place to stay as it is conveniently located near to the college and downtown. It also is located in a neighborhood well suited to a nice evening stroll.

The house itself is a gem and is very well appointed for the guest. We stayed in the Lincoln Room and it was great. Bring a couple of pennies to leave on the mantle and peruse the many Lincoln pictures, busts and books in the room.

Betty was an engaging host, providing us with a tour and history of the house and my wife and I both enjoyed longer conversations with her during our stay which were delightful. Breakfast was very good and filling, easily taking us to a dinner that evening.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shaun C
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was born and raised in Galesburg but haven't returned for roughly 30 years, so when I found this incredible house on TAdvisor we just HAD to stay there! I lived just down the street and used to walk by this place and fantasize how fantastic it must be to live in such a majestic house. Well thanks to Betty the wonderful owner of this property my dreams were realized at last! She has spared little in the renovation of this house and it is just fantastic from top to bottom. Coupled with great service including a wonderful breakfast, you just can't go wrong staying here! Especially when you consider the alternative, staying in a regular old hotel.....We totally loved it.....you must however be aware of the trains that run through G-burg (not something the management can do anything about!) sometimes nearly constantly it seems but for many this is the charm of this city and you should wrap your arms around the character the trains create. Anyway, staying here is a treat of treats and you'll love it, we flew out from New Jersey and drove down from Chicago which is about a three hour trip, take the toll road, even though you pay a LOT of tolls, the road is great and the drive is much more pleasant than using HGWY80. There is a blow dryer in the room, nice firm bed and each room is dedicated to a particular president and their family, not in a political way but more about the man and his family, very unique. Say hi to Betty for us and ENJOY THEE GREAT HOUSE!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Garry O
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We were married at the Great House on 04-14-2012. Our wedding was planned in a very short time (less then 60 days) on a very very tight budget. We never imagined how elegant and dream like our wedding would really be. Betty was beyond accomodating to this jittery bride and was not only comforting but took care of even the small details that made our day perfect. we were married in the music room with our 37 guests seated in the living room in chapel style seating. My daughter (flower girl) and Step son (ring bearer) and i walked down the beautiful stairs where i met my father to walk up the isle. this is an ideal place to have an intimate romatic elegant wedding and my memories of the beautiful dining room with our cake and horderves will always make me teary eyed. Our guests were stunned by the elegant decor and history of the house and could not stop talking about what a beautiful unique venue we had chosen. we also spent our honeymoon night in the Jefferson bridal sweet and rented 2 rooms the night before for family to stay. Breakfast was not only elegant but delicious, We cant say enough about our wonderful experience. Were even planning future partys for family there and cant wait to return for our first anniversary!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple