“incompetent”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Galesburg
Chicago
“incompetent”
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Husky services.... Manager needs custumer service skills this place needs to be clean up.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
South Dakota
Reviewed October 11, 2008

My husband and I were driving through and saw this hotel from the interstate. They had rooms available and we were able to get a nice quiet King room. The hallway on which our room was located was very noisy; it sounded like an older ventilation system, but we couldn't hear it from our room. My husband had medication that required refrigeration and although our room did not have a refrigerator, upon contacting the front desk, a complimentary mini-fridge was immediately delivered. The pool was good-sized, allowing my husband to swim laps for some refreshing exercise. Meanwhile, I enjoyed the over-sized whirlpool. Although we departed in the morning well before checkout, housekeeping knocked on our door around 8:00AM to see if we had left. Before departing we checked out the continental breakfast - there was average variety and enough food to satisfy our appetites. Overall it was a pleasant place to stay and I would stay there again. The hotel was fairly empty, however, and I cannot speak to the noise level of the hotel if at full capacity.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Old facilities, housekeeping bugged us in the early AM
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We stopped very late at night. They had one room left, a smoking room. However, since there are not many places to stay in the area, we said we would take it. There was not any smell of smoke when we entered the room. Our room was quite large with a king size bed. Everything in the hotel was very clean. Our room had a nice view of an inner courtyard and the pool area. The morning breakfast was the typical continental variety. The difference is that it was served in a restaurant. The waitresses circulated around the restaurant to see if you need beverages refilled, etc. They were quite friendly with all the customers. The lobby was very comfortable with a feeling of the advertised "Prairie." We had no problem with our bill at check-out. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — would have like something hot for breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Room did not get cleaned. Had to ask for towels shampoo and toilet paper. Mold on shower ceiling and drains and toilet backed up. Checked in with Credit card and paid at the end with debit card. The owner is an attorney and sited "Confusion" for an additional $490.00 being debited from my checking account. I called him using information hoping that he could help resolve this overcharge as the hotel would not give me his contact information. He was not only disgusted that I had reached him but said that he was not about to drop everything for $500 and hung up on me. When I first called the General Manager he couldn't even find the $490.00 charge which really made me nervous as it was already gone from my checking account, then he started guessing and then concluded that it must be my father in law's room charge because the amounts matched. He said that he would only credit my account if I gave him my father in law's credit card information. Upon acknowledging that the charges were not mine and I did not sign for, have a hard copy of or authiorize this random charge, the GM still wasn't going to credit my account until I provided him with another guests credit card information. Another guest who like myself had already paid the hotel in full. The GM was treating my money like his personal funds to float a loan or keep at his discretion . I spent three hours on the phone with corporate and the hotel to get my money back. So, if you want a clean room and a hotel that you can trust with your debit card information without having to fight to get back your own money when you get home, stay far far away from the Best Western Prairie Inn in Galesburg, Illinois.

• Stayed July 2008

Travelers are raving about these Galesburg hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Formerly known as Jumer's, this property was "the" place to stay or have your group event if you were in Galesburg. Unfortunately, that was 20 years ago. And although the current management has made great strides in bringing back the "glory days" of the facility, it still misfires in a few key areas that need to be improved in order to get there.

THE GOOD: From the front lobby to the remodeled rooms, from the spacious outdoor courtyard and "conversation pit" areas to the family-friendly pool scene and restaurant, the Prairie Inn has some very nice features. It was falling apart just a few years ago, and the new management (whom I believe is a local lawyer whose law practice is in the same commercial development area as the hotel) has done a great job in getting much of the property back up to snuff. Two sinks in the room, high speed internet is available, etc.

THE BAD: Some misfires that need to be corrected: Bathroom remodeling should have included curved shower curtain rods, as is now the industry standard. A light bulb was burned out in our room, it took 15 minutes for the staff to show up to correct it, and they didn't have the correct bulb for the fixture. This prompted me to wonder aloud just how many Prairie Inn maintenance workers it takes to change a light bulb. (Rim shot) Additionally (and this was really annoying), the hotel does not have wireless capability for the internet service and does not include a high-speed cable in the room (as, for example, Hampton Inn now does as a standard feature). It was inconvenient to go to the front desk to get one after driving for 7.5 hours that day. Finally, the 10% discount at the restaurant is nice, but you should just use the "buy one get one free" coupon in the local phone book... you'll save more on the total bill if you're not traveling alone.

THE VERDICT: A good place to stay if the Holiday Inn Express (which is also closer to the hotel and downtown than the Prairie Inn) is full, but management needs to start dotting i's and crossing t's in order to bring the property back to its former greatness.

• Liked — Sincere efforts by management to resurrect the property.
  • Disliked — Inconveniences and "the little things."
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank StuphMan
Chicago Suburbs
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We stayed at this hotel and were pleased. The room was quiet and clean. The breakfast was a bit better than average and the hotel staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gallopgirl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2006

I happened upon this hotel as I was traveling to Iowa. Wow..what an impressive property!! The staff went out of their way to make my stay very pleasant. The hotel's restaurant had the most delicious, freshly prepared items and priced reasonably. There was entertainment in the lounge which was also enjoyable. This hotel was definitely one of the finest hotels, charmingly furnished, exceptionally clean and comfortable, and excellent customer service...top notch people in Galesburg IL

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galesburg
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Monmouth
Super 8 Monmouth IL
Super 8 Monmouth IL
#2 of 3 in Monmouth

Been to Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!