“Wouldn't Go Back”

Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Galesburg
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The room was dated. There is no elevator. When someone enters the hall near room 310, the doors make noise all night. The hall door bounces before it closes a couple of time. The door on our room bounced when that hallway door bounced.

The toilet overflowed after I peed in it 1 time.

Management was indifferent when we told them of the problem.

I got no sleep either night there.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you check in.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank dotbowels
prairieinn, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We had maintance add additional cushioning to the door to minimize noise. They have also checked the working condition of the bathroom and have everything up to working order.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Guest Services Manger

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were in town for the annual Heritage Days celebration and stayed over until Sunday. This hotel is convenient, right off of I-74, clean, and comfortable. Our daughter enjoyed the indoor pool, our son the WiFi. There is an on-site restaurant that looks decent with a nice menu, but we didn't eat there - too busy with Heritage Days!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric M
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our facility. Please let us apologize for your ability not enjoy the restaurant. We hope that if your in the area you will give us a chance to accommodate you and your loved ones. if you have any questions or would like to make reservations when your in the area please call us at (309) 343-7151.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have stayed twice at this hotel as we travel through Illinois. It is easily accessable from I-80. It is very hospitable, clean and the restaurant is great. Good customer service. They upgraded our room to a room with a whirlpool and it was great after travelling all day. The people at the front desk were accomodating and we appreciated their attention to us.

Room Tip: We were satisfied with rooms on both stays. Quiet area and we were undisturbed. Our room had a door...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roseburgeson S
prairieinn, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for the woderful comments. The staff will be delighted in knowing that you appreciated their kindness, professionalism and the attention that you received. If you are ever in the area again feel free to contact me directly to make any arrangements that you will need for your stay.

SIncerely,
Front Desk Manager
309-343-7151

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We travel by here at least 2 times a month on our way to family and it seems nice from the interstate. We stopped at the exit- went to our usual hotel stop (down the road at a major chain) and it was full. It was late, and the desk clerk at the HIE said he would call the Best Western Prairie Inn to see if they had availability and they did. Upon entering the lobby- it seemed nice, out of date furnishings but nice and spacious. Kathy, the desk clerk, was very nice and helpful. Welcomed us and we paid for our room and she gave us directions to drive around the building. Problem # 1. The buildings are not easily distinguished. When it's very late, very dark and it's hard to see if it is building # A, B, C... exit it's very unnerving. Then I saw people who i thought might be owners walking around at midnight, we passed them and waved.. no response. Problem # 2. Seeing people out walking for exercise who work at the property (they went to the building that appeared to have permanent residences in it) and don't acknowledge their guests? Then problem # 3 (we have only been on the property for 10 min.= we get the children out, load our bags on our arms for the quick night, and go to use our hotel room card to get in the "secure" entrance. It doesn't work. In fact- it's falling off the entrance wall. There's obviously no power to it at all as it doesn't light up or do anything. I go back to the car with the bags in tow- (meanwhile the kids, husband are loaded down and it's raining now with no entrance covering) and get my receipt- call the desk (Kathy- who is so nice by the way) She says she will send someone. About 5 min later, the maintenance man? (plain clothed) opens the door, apologizes and says "we have been having problems with them for some time and they aren't working). We get to our room, Problem #4. The room has an odor. the carpet is dirty- ( we wouldn't walk barefoot on it) and the bedskirt is ripped on both beds, hanging by threads.. among other things) Dingy dingy towels.. ugh. I was so over it- i told the kids to fold the spreads back and get in bed (it was nearing midnight). We were awaken at 6 am by the smell of cigarette smoke- someone smoking in the portico by our room outside... and talking loudly. Problem # 5 Then bugs in bathroom (water bugs) on floor. ....I was sick that I had paid $89.99 (AAA rate) PLUS TAXES. I go to ck out- and tell her we had problems and that i literally was sick that i had paid my hard earned money for this room. It was more of a $49.99 sort of room. She says she was sorry- looks to the other gal at the desk, who "gives her a thumbs up" and gives me a TEN DOLLAR DISCOUNT. At this point, i was ready to tell her to keep her 10 dollars!! I told her politely the problems... the bugs (i even took a pic with my cell to show her)... she said she would have to talk to the general mgr?????? who wouldn't be in until tomorrow???? We travel A LOT. And this is really unheard of- the mgr on duty should be able to accomodate guests immediately.
Trust me- i am NOT a complainer. Hotels are not perfect, but this is was ridiculous. Maybe this was just a room that fell short- maybe it was a series of bad things but it is what it is. But how this hotel got the AAA diamond rating is beyond me. It's a hotel that needs some TLC and attention to detail. If you are going to charge that much for a room (the going rate really), then it really should be worth it. We stay at HIE, Drury's, Hamptons.. and the free breakfast, the extras are nice but the CLEAN room is the kicker! They did offer a 10% discount coupon for their restaurant that we passed on. The general mgr never called me as promised, but they did refund my card 12.50?? Maybe they should listen to customers- called personally and talked to me. I would of politely and professionally given them my opinion. So anyway, we will pass on by this hotel and wish them well, but lots of areas of "dropping the ball" :((

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dentalgal
prairieinn, General Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your satisfaction. Since your stay we have repainted the building signs so they are now fluorescent and easily seen in the dark and we have changed our bug extermination provider. We have ordered new bed skirts and we are in the process of changing out the exterior locks for a better, safer experience for our guests.

The owners, managers, and staff all strive to exceed expectations. In the dark, personnel might not have seen you wave, but we love getting the chance to converse with our guests. I hope that you will give us the chance to speak to you about your concerns. If you would like to speak in more detail about the efforts to make our guest's experiences better please contact me directly at 309-343-7151.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My son was touring Knox College. The hotel is in a quiet area near the college. It is not near the bigger commercial areas of Galesburg, but the town is not the big. You could get anywhere in town within 15 minutes. Our room was good sized, clean and what you would expect. The indoor pool and hot tub were much larger than most hotel pools. The hotel buildings surround a courtyard and some rooms open out onto it.

Room Tip: You will pay more, but you can get a room that opens out onto the courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
prairieinn, Front Office Manager at Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you so much for this nice review!!! We look forward to seeing you again!!!

Amber Smith
Guest Services

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Galesburg at the beginning of the month. The stay was fine as hotels go, clean room, decent bed, great wireless internet. The cable tv wasn't working the night I was there, but the wireless more than made up for it. I paid the next morning with gift cards, but when I got my credit card bill at the end of the month, they had still billed me the full price of the room. I called and within 2 days they had it all straightened out and refunded me the full price for the room that night. That is what I call customer service. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Adam S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We strive for our staff to be the best. Knowing that you were satisfied with the customer service you received makes us proud in our staff. If mistakes happen then we will try our hardest to correct them immediately. Thank you for your patience with the correction of the mistake and we hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Visiting Knox College, I have stayed at this hotel many times. On my last visit, I could tell that updates are happening. The room had been updated. This is an older hotel and not fancy, but the rooms are big enough. There's a coffee maker. The beds are comfortable. Having the restaurant onsite for breakfast is a big plus and the food is good and inexpensive (even before the discount.) I've never eaten dinner there. As a previous reviewer stated, walking in the interior corridors can be confusing, but I have never had a problem with noise from other rooms. The staff are nice and helpful.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galesburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Galesburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Galesburg
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#8 of 10 in Galesburg
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Monmouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg

Been to Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!