“Great!”
Review of Stoney Creek Inn

Stoney Creek Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed January 15, 2013

A few friends and I went skiing up at Chestunut mountain in Galena, and stayed the night at the Stoney Creek Inn. It was an awesome hotel, with a rustic look to it. The pool, spa, breakfast, and service were all top-notch. Slept well, had a great time skiing, overall a great trip. Next time I'm out in Galena, this is where I'll be staying!

Room Tip: I have no idea. We got a first floor room, and there were no issues (including noise) whatsoever.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is one of my worst overnight experiences. First of all my husband arrived a day before me. They slept on the downstairs floor and got less than 5 hours sleep due to parties, noise, walls literally as thin as paper etc etc.

My husband contemplated checking out but instead arranged that we could switch rooms to the upstairs section. They made a big fuss about this and claimed they didn't have any rooms close to each other if he wanted to switch rooms. With two little ones it would be nice being close to each other but my husband figured it would be better if we could get some sleep and then it would be ok to split up.

When my oldest and I arrived and asked for our room they wouldn't tell us the room number, in spite I first was quizzed in detail about spelling of our last name, my husbands first name, address etc. The receptionist called and when no one picked up immediately she felt she didn't have time to bother and left me and my son in reception with all our bags. Not a word!

The second receptionist then came a little later and I had to repeat everything. Then she called my husband who asked her to sent us up, but she refused giving us the room numbers and I had to ask several times to please let us know our room number, each time without luck. And by then both receptionists were there and bot ignored my son and I. It wasn't until my husband came down to the reception and asked what the problem was and then the receptionists claimed that they didn't know our room numbers and that was why they didn't sent us up. How could they call both rooms and talk to my husband if they didn't know the room numbers - and how come they both conveniently ignore us?

NICE WELCOME!

Later in evening around 9 PM my children couldn't sleep due to 2 TV's blasting loud sounds out. One in particular in the bar was overly loud and one could hear it up on the second floor in the rooms. I politely asked if they would mind turning it down since the bar was empty and no one was watching, and they told me "it is a bar". I told them I understand but since you don't have guests in the bar and this is mainly a hotel it would be appropriate to turn it down or at least mute it till there would be bar guests. For the remainder of the evening there was no other bar guests but it is still running two hours later! They did turn it down a little but still loud enough to listen to and follow in detail upstairs.

Also had to call about a room/hallway party and the night guard Joanne I believe her name was did come up immediately to help us, but she walked right past it and did do NOTHING. When I addressed this with her she lied to me and said she did ask them to be quiet and told me that she for fire safety couldn't ask them to close their room door. My husband and I had passed her and watched her while she just walked passed the noise and we saw she did not address them, that is unless she turned around, came back and addressed them after we went into the room...... but she certainly didn't do anything. My husband afterwards himself went to their room and they did close the door then, so I guess she had not addressed them.

Several other of the guests had gone to ask for blankets and gotten them without any questions asked. When I went to ask for blankets as my children were freezing I was told by Joanne that she didn't think they had any. I asked her if she could check and she said we maximum have one. She came back with two, not 3 as we had asked for. I could see through the door that there was still a stack of blankets right next to the two she gave me and I asked her please double check because we really needed them. She went into a huge discussion that she didn't see that we needed them etc etc. Then She told me they are not blankets but mattress covers, and I wouldn't want those. I told her I rather have mattress covers than my children freezing. Then she went and got mattress covers and I told her that I could see the stack of blankets. She then said "no I wont give you those. They are reserved for our themed suites". I couldn't believe that as one of them was exactly the same as the blankets she had just given me and the same as other guests were getting. She wouldn't budge and only when I asked to speak to the manager she gave in, although she did say the manager was not available. Then she gave them to me with the threat "they are reserved for the suites so when they are cold and need them I will call your room and wake your family up and get the blankets".

As mentioned in the beginning of the review, when my husband changed rooms they refused giving us rooms next to each other as they claimed that all rooms were taken. While we were sitting in the hallway we noticed some team mates checking in at 9.30 pm. They got the room right across from the hallway of my son and I and they in fact asked why they had to be so far away from pool. They had requested another room downstairs where we came from etc. They didn't want that room. The receptionist also told them it was all they had. What is their problem? Would it be so difficult for them to have made two families happy by giving us rooms next to each other and giving the other family a room where they wanted?

It seems to me that the receptionists are going out of their way to make the stay unpleasant for as many people as possible.

My husband overheard a few of my conversations with the receptionist and he said they were obviously biased against asians and colored people because they treated me and a african american lady much worse than him or any of the other "white guests". It was at the point where my husband even said "I better get the corkscrew (for a bottle of wine) because they will give it to a white man not to a colored woman".

Several complaints were also made by our team mates about that the breakfast was probably the most horrible possible to serve, and it seemed like they just can't be bothered. I haven't myself tried the breakfast but the warnings are starkly negative.

I will give the one rating for the nice cosy decor when you enter the inn. From there on everything goes down the drain.

Lastly, need to mention that this inn is 20-30 minutes (20 minutes when no snow, 30 minutes with snow) from the slopes and there are several options between the mountain and this place. Had I known it was so far away I would have booked either the mountain resort or any place between here and the mountain.

We have still not checked out so hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank dkrejser
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Galena Stoney Creek Inn for two nights.
The rooms are small and the place is extremely noisy. You can here everything. From someone above you using the toilet to the guy next door coughing.....
The breakfast is laughable. All styrofoam, and terrible quality.
Lets talk service. There clearly seems to be a racial bias. To me (white male) the staff was courteous and helpful, to my wife (Asian) they were rude and unhelpful. They wouldn't even let her go up to the room, despite the fact that they had called me and I had asked to send her to our room (she arrived a day later than the rest of us). When she asked for additional blankets she was told there were none, despite the fact that she could see them in the backoffice and eventually she got some but only after much discussion.
I had requested two rooms close to each other and was told that not possible as fully booked and checked in. Hours later we met someone who had just checked in the room across from us and actually didn't want to stay there as they preferred to be closer to the pool.
So, obviously staff ignored my request willfully or was incompetent to find appropriate rooms.
We will not return....

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can avoid it
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Froheferien
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Freheferien,
It is my understanding that your wife was kind enough to call back after your departure and our General Manager and she had a very positive conversation regarding all that you address in your review. We do not and will not tolerate any kind of bias or discrimination and we pride ourselves in going above and beyond for every single guest who is kind enough to choose to stay with us. It is obvious that we didn’t perform up to our own expectations as well as yours and for that I sincerely apologize. We are conducting a thorough investigation and will take any and all appropriate action with our personnel we deem necessary to insure no repeat of any of these circumstances, misunderstood or not, ever happen in the future, especially the rude behavior and perceived bias you describe. Thank you for sharing your experience and helping us better serve future guests.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in the fishing lodge themed suite. From the minute we walked in, we felt at home and at peace. The people actually like pets and go out of their way to make you happy. We met with Dena, a general manager. She was welcoming and kind and makes a terrific first impression for this hotel. We were given a dog treat bag and made our way to the spacious suite with a whirlpool, gas fireplace and a general lodge feel with lots of quirky extra touches that make u believe the people who own these properties care about them and have a vision they are realizing. The room and whirlpool were immaculate (thank u, Roseanne--I hope I have her name right!) the dogs were the least anxious they have been in a hotel room--I think due to ample space and some similarities to home) and although we only had one night, we both felt as rested as if we'd stayed 3 due to the sanctuary-like environment. We loved the heated pool and spa--in keeping with the lodge feel--so nice! As far as inner environment of the inn itself, we felt like we were back staying at our favorite lodge in the Grand Teton mountains. We loved Galena, too--a bit like the northeast, where I am from. This inn is truly a little gem. I hope it stays unique, caring, and personal. We already can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I love Stoney Creek Inn's. They are located in all of the cities that I work in. Stoney Creek Inn's are sincerely my home away from home. The staff is always warm. The rooms are always clean and I love the snuggle friend that waits for me in the bed. Tonight I'm sleeping with a lion.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Where do I begin everything about this hotel is great. Lets start with the front desk best service I ever had at a hotel, the front desk person took the time to show me inside of five different suite rooms before I made my selection while giving us a tour of the whole hotel also. The room was perfect super clean, fireplace, hot tub in the living room area so you could view the fire, the decor in this hotel is awesome it really feels like your in a lodge somewhere in Colorado. The pool area has magnificent stone work done to it and log beam rafters too. If you like the lodge log cabin feel you must visit this hotel when in Galena. The price was unheard of only $120 for a suite room with fireplace & hot tub. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: go for a suite room its only like $20 more.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The staff was very friendly and greeted us as we entered the door. The breakfast was very good
with a nice selection of food and drink and the cheese omelets were great. We had a nice clean quiet room on the second floor. We will go here again. Trip Advisor gave us a great rate on the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family