“Nice place to stay in Galena”
Review of Stoney Creek Inn

Stoney Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and I decided to take a couple’s weekend to Galena. I had planned initially to stay at the DeSoto house downtown, but waited too long and couldn’t get the room I wanted, so I decided to book our stay at Stony Creek Inn. For about the same price as the room at DeSoto, we stayed in one of their themed rooms(“Captain’s Quarters”), a large nicely appointed room with LCD TV, fireplace, 2-person whirlpool tub, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc. The staff was very friendly, the hotel definitely had an interesting decor, and the room was quiet (except for the door -- see below). My wife appreciated the natural and/or organic toiletries supplied by the hotel. The hotel is located on the north end of town close to a McDonald’s and grocery store if you need anything quick, but is still only a few minutes from downtown. We decided to skip the breakfast provided by the hotel in favor of eating at a local restaurant, so I can't really comment on that.

Complaints? Very few, and only minor issues that did little to detract from our stay. The bathroom lights were over the sink with a vent light in the middle of the room, so the shower stall was a little dark. The door to our room was a double door that rattled when a neighbor’s door was opened or closed, making it sound like someone was trying to open our door. However, that only occurred a few times, and only early in the evening. If it would have happened later at night it would have been much more annoying. The couch faced away from the TV, making it difficult for us to watch TV together, but there was one chair and footstool placed in the middle of the room for watching TV; so I grabbed another from the desk to sit in.

None of the cons listed above were significant issues, so i we visit Galena in the future, we would definitely consider staying here again.

3  Thank MrLuckyPants

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Our visit was wonderful. Went to Galena for a couple days away and this hotel is a great place to settle in. Staff was friendly and anxious to offer suggestions on restaurants and places of interest. The morning breakfast buffet is large with hot food and a spacious dining room. Large convenient parking lot outside the door. Parking downtown is limited and tight. The deluxe king room was large and inviting. Everything is clean and spotless. The drive downtown is only a few short minutes and easy. You will not make a mistake with the Stoney Creek Inn. We would definately return and recommend to others. Thanks to the staff for the excellent recommendations on attractions and restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe king room
1  Thank C7VetteCruiser
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just before coming to Stoney Creek Inn, my car stalled because I had gotten water in the tank. One of the staff members, from the hotel, volunteered to pick me up and provided me with information on a tow services, car repair services, etc. When I got to the hotel, another staff member was actually kind enough to look at my engine and help diagnose the problem. I have never, in my life, experienced such a helpful staff. The staff helped make my trip really wonderful, despite such a rough beginning. I can't say enough good things about this hotel and the people who work for it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Mary P
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had five women on an overnight stay to celebrate each of us turning '65' within the next few months. When we walked into Stoney Creek Inn we were greeted by Shawn who took such great care of us. Not everyone takes the time to visit and talk to you as you check in. Shawn made us laugh and we were able to get off to a wonderful start! We had two rooms. The extended king had a wonderful area where we could all sit and visit and share our snacks and stories. The rooms were very neat and clean. You felt as though you were in the Northwoods and it was very nice and relaxing. Breakfast the next day was delicious. We all loved making our own waffles. Everything was exceptionally clean and staff was very helpful. The pool area was very clean and one of the women was able to enjoy the hot tub and pool. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1luckylady
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Since we didn't get into BB but ended up in a nice place any way
The inn has an interesting North woods and golf theme.
Expect to encounter plenty of bears !
The staff was very courteous helpful and ran a tight ship.
We had our own dinner heated in the the room microwave, we ate in the breakfast room.
Nice sitting area in the front and side. Swimming pool hot tub and sauna
Just on the city outskirts. You will want to drive the 3 min back into town.

Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Galena, IL for a fun weekend getaway and Stoney Creek Inn set teh stage for a wonderful trip as soon as we checked in. The hotel staff were great - everyone is very friendly and helpful. Additionally, the property is immaculate! I was surprised by how clean everything was...and I loved the decor; everything from the lobby to the guestrooms to the pool area is so well done. Clearly, not one detail was overlooked in setting the atmosphere of the facility. Kudos, Stoney Creek Inn!! Thank you for such a great weekend and I hope come back and do it again!

3  Thank nadia w
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I were on the last leg of our trip on our way back home to eastern Illinois from California, Made the reservation the night before at Stoney Creek. It looked like a nice place on the web site, it was in historic Galena, had a room with a Jacuzzi tub for two (a must as it was my wife's birthday) and an off-season price that was very attractive. We have never been more pleasantly surprised upon walking in our room. Outstanding accommodations - super comfortable bed, furnished in rustic furniture made from tree limbs, awesome Jacuzzi tub...can't say enough nice things. The staff and the common areas of the Inn were spectacular as well. What a great place!! Can't recommend this place high enough. It was the highlight of our trip and that includes the accommodations we had in Las Vegas. Would absolutely stay there again and we will on our next trip.

Room Tip: Themed rooms are the way to go. Larger rooms, Jacuzzis, all the perks at a very reasonable price...e...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple