“Excellent stay at the Inn at Irish Hollow”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #9 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent stay at the Inn at Irish Hollow”
Reviewed May 8, 2005

The Inn at Irish Hollow is an excellent bed and breakfast nestled in the Illinois countryside. They have 3 cottages and 3 rooms in the main building. We stayed in the Stonewood cottage - a truly relaxing and romantic experience. They prepared the cottage upon arrival with soft music, champagne and chocolates. The cottage was outfitted with CDs, games, magazines and books. There are no TVs or telephones. The breakfast is a formal, three-course gourmet meal. You can choose to have breakfast served in your cottage or in the main building, a former general store. The Inn at Irish Hollow is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Galena. We highly recommend this bed and breakfast - it's a wonderful getaway.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank name_screen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 4, 2004

My husband and I went there Halloween Night- Son and dog went to stay with Grandma- We walked in and they told us they had upgraded us to a larger cottage called Stonewood- We were so happy when we walked into our cottage that neither of us could speak- Gorgeous fireplace, soft music playing from the stereo- champagne, chocolates and nuts waiting for us- The next morning we had the most unbelievable breakfast- again we were speechless while we ate- we have never been treated so good- I highly recommend this place to any couple that needs to relax and rejevnuate themselves- You will NOT be disappointed!!!!

10 Thank lisajil
Reviewed October 26, 2004

We stayed at the Inn at Irish Hollow to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The inn certainly met and surpassed our expectations. We stayed at the French maids cabin, which was wonderfully and romantically decorated with antiques and beautiful art. We were greeted with soft music, flowers, champagne and chocolates. It was a cozy and comfortable cottage with a two-sided wood burning fireplace, a jacuzzi, stereo system, fridge, microwave, coffee - tea, porch, games, books, magazines. They thought of everything!! It was also very clean. Your hosts Matthew, Bill and Tony prepared exquisite meals daily with beautiful presentation. They are excellent bakers. Some highlights of our meals were peach maple bread pudding, chocolate-cherry scones, sweet potato -white chocolate cheesecake, yum yum!! The grounds are beautiful and secluded in the Galena countryside. Great walking trails and cows outside of your window across the road. We will definitely return!! I highly reccommend The Inn at Irish Hollow if you are looking for a quiet and romantic time.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 4, 2004

We had a truly lovely weekend away at the Inn at Irish Hollow for our 15th wedding anniversary. We were in one of the private cottages and were very impressed with the decor. Everything from the wonderful four-poster bed to the double whirlpool tub was perfect. Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne, homemade chocolates and fresh flowers. The attention to detail in regard to EVERYTHING is astonishing! The food is not only amazing in terms of its flavor but also in it's sophisticated presentation. We immediately booked a stay for the same weekend next year. All of the entries in the guestbook are effusive and we now know that no one was exaggerating - the place is top-notch.

• Stayed September 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Park Ridge, Il
Reviewed April 6, 2004

An unforgettable gem for your romantic weekend getaway! Truly unique in its setting, outstanding meals, with the most impressive warm and inviting surroundings straight out of Town & Country magazine!
Unforgettable!

4 Thank tucsongrace
Reviewed March 21, 2004

I met the most amazing woman on St. Patrick's Day in Chicago and we hit it off.

I told her how I liked to plan adventures and tour the Midwest looking for unique things to do. I shared some adventures I had recently done and she challenged me to put together a weekend she would never forget.... But it had to be a place I had never been.

I thought Galena, would be good place to try since I heard that it was the home of US Grant and was a great weekend place to check out. I then had to find the right place to stay. After surfing the internet I came across the Inn at Irish Hollow. I was told that they are usually booked up months in advance but as luck would have it, they had a last minute cancellation.

After an hour of horse riding at a local stables we went down a small dirt road to Irish Hollow 15 miles east of Galena at 5:00 pm on Saturday.

The check in was inside a General Store that was built in 1911. It was attached to a home that was built by the owners of the General Store.
As you enter the house you are greeted by a cozy fire and a beautiful baby grand piano. There is nice leather furniture and you know that this place is special. I would recommend it for the person who wants to really sweep his/her mate off their feet because it is a warm and wonderful atmosphere that will have you grinning ear to ear.

We were shown upstairs to our room by Matt. Matt is a great host and makes you feel like family. The room was awesome and well done in nice English Farmhouse decor. My date was blown away by the claw foot bathtub and fireplace at the foot of the four poster bed. Next to the fireplace was two nice high back chairs. Great for relaxing and reading a book while sipping some wine.

At 7:00 it was time for dinner. The dinner is in the General Store with 6 tables for 2 for the 6 couples that are staying at Irish Hollow. The lights were dimmed perfectly and smooth jazz played giving the place a sense of elegance not matched by any 5 star restaurant I have ever seen (NYC, Paris, Chicago, Greenwich, London, LA, Miami, combined). These guys could spank Charlie Trotters back side with their cooking.

Let me tell you about the 7 course dinner.....

We started with an Irish cheese and Apricot Preserve appitizer followed by a red pepper, pesto ravioli that was finishied off with a wonderful Tomato Soup that was easily the best I ever had. The soup was followed up with a Spinach, walnut, apple, raisin, cranberry salad with a mimosa vinagarette. Yummy! We then were treated to a homade Kiwi Lime sorbet that made my date swoon. The main course was a Brown Sugar encrusted Beef tendeloin with Baked Yams and Asparagus side.... This was Amazing, Melt in your mouth food. Desert was a wonderful Choclate Cake with Midori whipped cream topped with Papaya amd mango chunks. Followed up with coffee. The dinner included a fine cabernet from South Africa and fresh bread with fresh Thyme Butter.

I was told by my date that it was the most Romantic and wonderful evening in her young 28 year old life. I fell in love that night to the best thing that ever happened to me..... My new beautiful Girlfriend.
That's what happens at Irish Hollow. James Bond couldn't do it better....

In the morning we were treated to a 3 course breakfast of Brown Sugar Broiled Pink Grapefruit, followed by chocolate, cranberry, walnut scones. Then we had a Phillo dough mushroom and red pepper and egg dish that really was amazing. The Brown Sugar, Bacon swirls were to die for.

Bottom Line.....

I can't compete with these guys so, I booked a cottage at Irish Hollow for the 4th of July with my new soulmate..... That's fate for you.......

See ya there!

Bryan Hunt Chicago

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 10, 2003

I have never visited a more memorable place. The cottages are cozy, yet all the comforts you could want. Saturday night's dinner was, perhaps, the best I have ever had (including Chicago, NYC and Paris) and served with style and warmth in a refurbished general store that could not have felt more elegant! The breakfasts, I long for---oatmeal topped with bananas foster, scones, the best omelet I have ever had. You may hike to a gorgeous view, enjoy complimentary Champagne in your whirlpool, or take the short drive to Galena. So romantic--so fun--cannot wait to return.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member