“Off the grid.....peace, quite, and great food!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #10 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Off the grid.....peace, quite, and great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very different from the usual places one might stay. This is what makes it so great and memorable. This place is all about decompressing, relaxing, and enjoying time with the one you love. Take a walk, read a book, enjoy a romantic dinner, and on a clear night enjoy the stars.

I was a bit skeptical upon on arrival but let me tell you this B&B is worth visiting. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Inn at Irish Hollow in the French Maids Cottage and I have to say this is hands down the most relaxing, romantic, service-oriented B&B we have ever stayed at. No TV, no phone, nothing but the quiet of the country, serenaded by crickets and cicadas. The accommodations were 1st class with high quality linens and the decor fit the name of the cottage. Each morning we were delivered a full gourmet breakfast filled with locally grown ingredients. The 2nd night we walked a short distance to the General Store where we had a world-class candle lit 7 course dinner with a nice red wine. Our host was a newly hired employee of the owners who did literally everything while we were there and made it look easy. Thanks Vincent! We will definitely be back and maybe next time we'll dine with Harrison Ford, a frequent visitor to the inn. Can I mark 6 stars?

Room Tip: I have seen the French Maid's and the Gardener's cottages. Both are superb, each with their...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zenbion
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

After a "last minute" decision to spend our 10th anniversary at a Romantic getaway, we began searching for the perfect place around our Chicago area home. Our internet search sent us to Galena, IL. and upon further looking, to The Inn at Irish Hollow. Unfortunately the Inn was completely booked for our weekend. A phone call to the Inn had Matthew working his magic to make it work for us. When we arrived, we were instantly taken back! The town was so picturesque. The drive to the Inn was spectacular and the Inn itself was AMAZING!!! Every last detail along with the warm welcome made us know this was going to be a wonderful few days!!! Our cottage (Olde Orchard) was breath taking!!! It took me a couple of days to take in all the attention to detail and coziness of this cottage!! Our coffee in bed in front of a cozy fire, and wine and cheese on the screen porch were definitely part of our routine each day. The seven course dinner was delicious and presented so elegantly and the breakfasts were out of this world!! This place was definitely a little slice of heaven!!! We are home now and missing our beautiful weekend so much that we are already planning our next trip!! Thank you Matthew for your hospitality and making our special time so memorable....we will see you soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DJ_and_Lisa
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

My fiance and I have stayed at The Irish Hollow several times. We go once per year and stay for 2-3 days. Each time we've had the pleasure at staying at a different cottage (which you chose in advance). Matthew is fabulous in every way; friendly, attention to detail and always provides a special touch to the hospitality.

The food is amazing which include fruits and veggies grown by the Irish Hollow in their various on-site gardens.

The accomodations are on par with the 5-star castles that we've stayed in throughout Ireland.

There's a lot to do in the area. We've gone hiking (including the Dubuque Woods just over the Mississippi River), picnicing, and even visited the casino in Dubuque for a few hours of poker :)

Don't pass up the opportunity to stay at this world-class B&B!

Room Tip: The cottages are worth the extra cost :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy827
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I cannot recommend the Inn at Irish Hollow more highly! My boyfriend and I recently drove there from Chicago for what I thought would just be a lovely weekend getaway but which ended with a marriage proposal that completely took my breath away. Unbeknownst to me, my now-fiancee had been in contact with Matthew, the incredibly helpful and courteous innkeeper after he and I had made our reservation, and the staff at the Inn was very accommodating to him in orchestrating the moment thoughtfully and creatively. I'll hold off on going into more detail because I wouldn't want to potentially diminish the impact for anyone else that might find themselves in a similar situation down the line. I will say that I could not have envisioned anything more beautiful and will cherish the memory forever. In addition to that monumental event, everything about our time at Irish Hollow was wonderful, and you certainly don't need to experience a life-changing occasion there in order to make your stay fantastic and memorable. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the Inn was inviting and charming, the acres of wild-life that it sits on was stunning, and the food was absolutely delicious. In fact, the only "problem" we encountered was that all of the courses were so extraordinary and the portions so generous that we were never quite able to finish everything. Relaxing in our room above the general store/dining area, hiking amongst wildflowers on their peaceful, private trails, horseback-riding at a ranch nearby, and enjoying an incredible couples massage on-site, we were completely transported away from the stresses of our every day lives and were able to fully enjoy nature and the company of one another. If you are reading this, I hope you will give yourself or someone else the gift of experiencing this place. I am already looking forward to returning in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Caitlin C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We visit almost every 6 months. Our favorite place to go. Everything on the web site Is for real. Matthew, Bill, Tony , and crew know how to do it with taste and elegance. Counting the days till our next visit !

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank KCarl227
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I can't put into words how amazing the Inn at Irish Hollow is. We just got back from a two night stay in the Gardener's Cottage and our experience cannot be overstated. The attention to detail and love that is put into everything is something I have never seen before. The food was A-MAZ-ING! not just good for a B&B, but amazing as in some of the best food I've had anywhere. Each breakfast came with a fruit course to begin (Day 1 - fruit platter/ Day 2 - fruit and homemade granola parfait), a fresh made pastry (Day 1 - chocolate and almond croissants/ Day 2 - cinnamon rolls) and a main dish (Day 1 - eggs florentine with lemon dill sauce/ Day 2 - corn cakes with red pepper jam stuffed with goodness...)

The 7 course dinner menu I will post a picture of...but it was just as delicious as things I've had downtown in Chicago and better than most.

The cottage...was just unfair. I am ruined for life!!! It was heart-breaking-ly beautiful and romantic. I actually laughed when I opened the door because I had never seen something so magical. We had previously stayed at Eagle Ridge on our last trip to Galena and considered it for this trip as well. Never again. Not a chance

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple