“A-MAZ-ING!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #8 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“A-MAZ-ING!!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I can't put into words how amazing the Inn at Irish Hollow is. We just got back from a two night stay in the Gardener's Cottage and our experience cannot be overstated. The attention to detail and love that is put into everything is something I have never seen before. The food was A-MAZ-ING! not just good for a B&B, but amazing as in some of the best food I've had anywhere. Each breakfast came with a fruit course to begin (Day 1 - fruit platter/ Day 2 - fruit and homemade granola parfait), a fresh made pastry (Day 1 - chocolate and almond croissants/ Day 2 - cinnamon rolls) and a main dish (Day 1 - eggs florentine with lemon dill sauce/ Day 2 - corn cakes with red pepper jam stuffed with goodness...)

The 7 course dinner menu I will post a picture of...but it was just as delicious as things I've had downtown in Chicago and better than most.

The cottage...was just unfair. I am ruined for life!!! It was heart-breaking-ly beautiful and romantic. I actually laughed when I opened the door because I had never seen something so magical. We had previously stayed at Eagle Ridge on our last trip to Galena and considered it for this trip as well. Never again. Not a chance

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank yasha7686

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed June 16, 2013

To celebrate our 15th anniversary my wife and I wanted a quiet get away. Talk about the perfect place ever. We rented the Gardener's Cottage, quiet, secluded, peaceful, perfect. An amazing cottage with King size four poster bed, screened three season room, window seat, wood fireplace, two person hot tub, two person shower, and completely wired with i-pad included putting you at control of the music selection. Amazing breakfast delivered to your room or served at the main Inn, your choice, both perfect. Seven course meal, and a bottle of wine. We took one to go to continue the celebration in our room (on the house)!!! Long walk on the trail and gazing at the stars. We will absolutely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gary K
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The raves reviews are not an exaggeration, we were thinking about returning before we even left. The beautiful grounds, the enchanting cottages, the delicious food, the walking trails and bikes, the delightful staff - they provide an entire experience - a low-key, luxury experience. Matthew's breakfast could have its own paragraph, as could Molly The Good Will Ambassador and the cottages. We stayed in the Stonewood Cottage - A thoughtfully crafted building with a combination of new and reclaimed treasures centered around a 2 way stone fireplace with a secluded screen porch. Why would you want to leave? The love they have for their piece of paradise is evident and they'll make you fall in love with it too, we did!

Room Tip: I recommend a cottage, they are so unique and only a little bit more than a room. You won't be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KTMKE
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I chose this gem for our 19th anniversary in April 2013. We selected it because of all the outstanding, flawless reviews. Plus, we learned on a B&B website that it was the #1 rated B&B in the Midwest last year, so we were very curious, although the Inn and Innkeepers seemed humble and had no articles in frames boasting that honor. After having stayed 3 nights, I can understand why the Inn at irish Hollow is ranked so high in terms of food, service, accommodations and cleanliness. We stayed in the Wells Fargo room inside the Inn, and it was a very private room, away from the other rooms in the Inn, and we enjoyed it very much, especially the delightful plate of home-made cookies that awaited us in our room the second night there. The only concern I had was the tub, because it did not have a wall or bar to hold onto if you needed to steady yourself. The bed felt more like a hammock then a bed, so if you have a bad back, it's not a good bed, but the sheets were so soft and clean, and we got a good sleep. We were drawn to the cottages, and intrigued by all the recommendations to stay in them, so we asked if we could tour them. The Innkeeper Matthew was more than willing to let us see the cottages. We saw 4 of them, (out of 5) and were wowed upon entry. The decor, the spaciousness, the huge bathroom, screened in porch and privacy was incredible! After seeing the cottages, we regret not booking one but we must say we were happy with our stay in the Inn. It was very quiet, and at night we enjoyed opening the windows and listening to nature outside. This place really is off the beaten path in a hilly, beautiful area about 15 minutes from Galena. Overall, this place lives up to its name and does not disappoint. It is cozy, inviting, clean, with outstanding food and service. The 7-course intimate dinner is worth the experience, and every morning my husband and I looked forward to the tasty and wholesome breakfasts prepared right there in the Inn. The food is definately part of the whole experience! If I was going to bring up any minuses it would be the trails around the Inn. We found the trails disappointing, but along one trail we found a few campfire sites, where we learned that during summer you can order a campfire dinner, which the Inn will prepare for you. What a nice touch, among many at the Inn at irish Hollow!

2 Thank Lindsey F
chicago
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The raving reviews are not wrong (and if you think the online ratings are effusive, read the guest books). I planned this as a special getaway to celebrate our anniversary, thinking it would probably just be a one time trip. We ended up enjoying our stay so much, though, that as soon as we got back we booked a return visit in December.

Living in Chicago we sometimes can't help feeling a little superior with all the amenities we have access to in the city, but Irish Hollow blew us away! Everything exceeded expectations--from the accommodations to the food to the service. Matthew is the perfect caretaker--he patiently answers every guest's questions, attends to any needs, and even helps prepare the delicious meals. Their massages were amazing, and Molly the cat was just icing on the cake--one morning she decided to join my husband and I on a walk as we explored one of the hiking trails and followed us the whole way.

The inn is ~15-20 mins drive from Galena which we didn't actually mind as it allowed us to enjoy the scenery. I have a feeling now that we may become one of their many regular guests.

One tip: Due to the small staff size, things are done at a more leisurely pace. We're so used to taking off first thing in the morning to explore, that we weren't anticipating breakfast to take nearly 1.5 hrs. I'm not complaining, though, as it forced us to take it easy and go with the flow, and it was an impressive 3 course meal. But just something to note in case you do have to be somewhere by a certain time. And of course if you are in a hurry, all you need to do is tell Matthew and they will work around your schedule.

3 Thank jcc813
viila park
Reviewed April 22, 2013

There are many good lodging options in Galena, but none that compare to The Inn at
Irish Hollow. The innkeeper Matthew is a warm and flawless host who thinks of your every need before you do. I could not over- hype the food if I wanted to;it is without a doubt the
best in freshness, quality and creativity my wife and I have ever had.
Spend the extra money and stay in one of the gorgeous cottages. We stayed in the Stonewood (Thank you for the gracious upgrade Matthew) and could not believe the
romantic combination of a country cottage with all the best luxury amenities.
The surroundings are spectacular and you can hike right out your back door or take a
beautiful drive to one of the many nature preserves. This is a first rate, superbly managed
property which my wife and I would recommend without hesitation. There is none better!

1 Thank frank g
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This wonderful place is unique and beautiful! The food was spectacular and Matthew does such a great job running the inn. I've never been to a bed and breakfast and consider myself a hotel snob, but WoW, this place is so perfect. My husband and I enjoyed every minute of our vacation. I loved having a whole cottage to ourselves. We stayed in the French maids cottage. The screened porch, fireplace and large whirlpool bath were out favorite parts of our home away from home. Besides the food!!!!! Which was like none other I've ever tasted! It was so what we needed. Thank you!!!

• Stayed April 2013