“Fantastic getaway but a little bit over-priced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #9 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic getaway but a little bit over-priced”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I spend 2 nights here during the memorial weekend. The Inn keeper (we met Matt, Bill and Tony) are super, super nice. I found the experience pleasant but a bit pricey in turns of what we paid for.
Pros:
Foods are amazing! We had country style breakfast every morning and they are definitely at the gourmet end rather than just some scramble eggs. One night we got a 7-courses dinner with a bottle of wine and it was phenomenal. Bill who I believed is the chef really put a lot of thoughts into cooking. They were also able to accommodate vegetarian meals. Daily treats in the room like cookies and chocolate truffles were really great surprises.
We stayed in the post master room. It has a working fire place and a cute claw foot tub. Details we liked included bed sheet (high thread counts), goose down pillows, nice bath products.
Cons:
For some reason the Inn is very dark all the time. In a perfect sunny day out our room and the dining room is just dark. Water from the faucet has a weird metallic taste and smell which made the shower experience not very pleasant. I consider the room "okay clean" because the sheets are nice but there is still a fair amount of dust accumulated from lots and lots of decorations and curtains. Also, we requested a picnic basket but did not receive it which is not a huge deal but a little disappointed.

We were quite happy about the stay because the area is gorgeous and we had good night sleep every night. However, it is over priced for what we paid for.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank giggleuma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed October 31, 2007

We are always looking for a good weekend getaway place, and recently stayed at one of the cottages at the Inn. It was a great experience from start to finish. The check in was efficient, yet informative, and the cottage itself was gorgeous. In fact, we both commented that if we had a weekend place, we would design it much like the cottage itself. There were many thoughtful touches, including the handmade chocolates in the refrigerator.

The breakfast was creative and delicious.

The location of the inn is a little far out if you are planning to have dinner with drinks in town, but the setting is so serene and beautiful, that we found it very worth the drive.

• Liked — The privacy and roominess of the cottage.
  • Disliked — The distance from town.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I booked the Inn at Irish Hollow to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and my parents 41st anniverary. Arriving to the General Store after an idyllic drive through gorgeous countryside, we were greeted by Tony who could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We each checked in to the English cottages set back on the estate, and were stunned at how beautifully appointed each cottage was, with enormous bathroom and whirlpool tub, split level living and sleeping areas dissected by an enormous stone hearth, and wonderful antiques and furnishings throughout. The screened-in porches were a little slice of heaven. Handmade chocolates and a chilled bottle of champagne were laid on, and each day, a fresh baked treat was left for us after the room had been cleaned.

Daily breakfast (three courses!) made from scratch by uber chef Matthew each moring was served in the General Store and is the best I've ever experienced; home made organic raspberry and vanilla fruit smoothies, eggs benedict, scrambed egg with dill, griddle cakes with roasted red pepper cream sauce, freshly squeezed orange juice, warm carrot cake muffins... Matthew (who doubled up as our server) had lots of helpful tips and recommendations for local restaurants and walks and is an expert on the local area.

The estate is situated just 15 minutes drive from Galena, and yet another world away in terms of utter relaxation. You can tell the pride and care our hosts take in this wonderful place.

Intimate, romantic, incredible--we will definitely return.

• Liked — The attention to detail
  • Disliked — That we had to eventually leave!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Catherine E
chicago
Reviewed May 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the French Maids Cottage in mid-April. I found the Inn to be very charming and peaceful. The grounds are beautiful - in the middle of farmland, with great walking paths through their acreage. Please note that the Inn is about 8 miles from downtown Galena, and it's a very hilly, dark and curvy drive if you tried to do it at night.

We stayed in the French Maids Cottage, which is the oldest of the 3 current cottages. While it was charming and fun to be in an 1800s era building, I felt like it needed some maintenance. The cottage was updated 10 years ago, and I think could be updated again. The bathroom was not what I expected for the price I was paying ($700+ for 2 nights). The brass fixtures were peeling, the shower was a little moldy (and tiny), and the bath products were very average. The place was also a little dusty, as if no one had stayed there for a while. The whole weekend I was wishing we had stayed at one of the other more expensive and newer cottages.

The food was simply amazing - very gourmet and rich. You will not leave hungry. My husband felt like they tried too hard to make the food fancy and gourmet, but I appreciated all the fresh ingredients. However, it was very rich food.

I would definitely go back, however, I would not stay in this cottage again. I would stay in one of the English Cottages. For the amount of money we paid for Galena, I expected a little more.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank badger90
Newton, Iowa
Reviewed December 14, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn (in a guest room, not a cottage) and had the most wonderful time. The attention to detail - whether it be the decor of the place, the grounds, the FOOD - is unmatched. No detail was overlooked. I cannot say enough great things about our stay - you will not regret booking at this spectacular B & B!

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank MissSugarJones
USA
Reviewed October 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed in the the English Cottage and loved every minute of it! The smell of a wood burning fire place was wonderful as soon as you walked in. There was also a romantic cd playing and some chocolate waiting on our bed for us. All the decorations, the comfy bed, the tub for 2, the private back porch, all of it is something we will never forget and we cannot wait to go back there!

• Liked — Romantic
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like!
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 4ts
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My wife and I booked a mid-week getaway (2 nights) for our 20th anniversary in the Stonewood cottage at The Inn at Irish Hollow. This place is secluded and small - 3 cottages and 3 rooms in a converted general store out in the country - surrounded by farms, trees, and beautiful scenery. We dealt mostly with Matthew, and he was very accommodating. He arranged for a beautiful flower arrangement, and we arrived to soft lights, champagne, chocolates and music on the CD sound system.

They do not serve dinner during the summer, but the breakfasts were amazing (we would like to go back and try their dinners). We had them delivered to our cottage after going on a morning walk on their mowed grass trails (they told us they have 500 acres). The food and the presentation were excellent – a huge fruit plate, the best omelet I’ve ever had, chocolate/raspberry muffins, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and more. We were also given a picnic lunch one afternoon, which was excellent, as well – a picnic basket with everything you would want – wine, chilled chamomile tea, warm pesto ravioli, an excellent salad, crackers and cheese, wonderful sandwiches, and wonderful dessert. We really enjoyed just relaxing in the cottage and reading together – something we rarely take the time to do.

The hiking paths were great – black raspberries were out and were delicious. It was expensive (about $700 in all), but we felt it was worth it for a special occasion. Our only minor disappointment was that the maid took our chocolates, some raspberries we picked, scones we saved from breakfast and a drink from our fridge – strange. We would suggest they put a little work into maintaining the landscaping around the cottage – beautiful, but overgrown. The screened porch on the back was great, but a grape arbor cut out the view. Overall, a wonderful experience – we would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2006