“Great pizza and great specials”
Review of Cannova's Pizzeria

Cannova's Pizzeria
Ranked #20 of 63 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Galena, IL
“Great pizza and great specials”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Many people go to Cannovas for their great pizza (and it is some of the best)- but I actually like to try their evening specials. They usually only have a couple of options- but I've never had a bad one. In fact, one night I had the best sea bass I've ever eaten. They also have a great selection of wine. Cannovas has a friendly casual atmosphere and friendly staff.

Madison, Wisconsin
“odd little place”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We took our first trip to Galena the other day to help move one of our daughters to Western Illinois University, which makes Galena about the halfway point in a two day trip. Anyways we spent the night at Stoney Creek Inn, which we highly recommend, and decided to grab a bite downtown. It was a Friday night so parking was hectic as expected in a small but lovely town. Luckily we found a spot at the end of downtown and it was right in front of Cannova's, so we figured why not. The wait for a table wasn't long at all but the wait for our service was as one of the two servers did not know we were one of her tables. Once things got figured out everything else went smooth as far as our server and our meal. There was quite a bit of vulgarity from the kitchen staff but I suppose that can be expected from any kitchen. The only reason I bring that up is because of the way the kitchen is located in the building. It really gives the customer a good vantage on what is said and done back there. Another downside to the place, and it is sadly out of their hands, is that located right next to the restaurant is a bar that draws in a highly obnoxious crowd. As we were walking out to our car some things were said towards our daughter by some patrons, who were standing outside of the bar smoking. These words, let's just say, make us feel very uncomfortable about stopping by the place again when we go pick our daughter.

2 Thank rosemont22
Baltimore, Maryland
“Delicious pizza and excellent service”
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We were looking for a local place to have pizza, and this place was recommended to us by the owners of the bed and breakfast we were staying in. It was pretty crowded being a weekend and labor day weekend at that, so when we stopped in, they gave us about a 45 minute wait, but we weren't in any rush. We stopped back in 45 minutes after walking around, and had excellent service - the best we had in Galena. The other places we ate at had overbearing waitstaff that wouldn't leave us alone to enjoy our meal.
Cannovas pizza was delicious - I love whole tomato slices on my pizza! My husband doesn't, but he enjoyed the rest of it. It is a small place, so it can be kind of crowded.

Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Downhill over the past years”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our family were once frequent customers to Cannova's Pizzeria until our past couple of visits have left us very disappointed. The servers have become very ill-informed on the specials of the night and even the simple menu that the place has had for many years. When we asked what a steak special included , we were not only told the wrong side but also the wrong type of steak! Yet still got charged for the full $32 of the plate. We did receive an apology for what its worth. Another bad moment was when my husband was in line for the restroom he noticed kitchen employees picking toppings off the pizzas while drinking beer. Now I know there are worse things that cooks do to your food but at least they do it behind closed doors. This place has open windows to the kitchen so customers can see what goes on. But the saddest moment was when were asked to wait at the bar for our table. The bartender, Rory I believe his name was, was clearly drunk and could not say coherent sentence to save his life! He is not the first that we suspect to be under the influence of some substance while at work but his condition was unbelievable and disgusting We do not know what has happened over the past couple of years at this once fine restaurant but things have taken a turn for the worse. There are many fine restaurants in Galena, but in times like these, or any time for that matter, this place is not worth your hard earned money.

1 Thank sallynjim
St. Paul, MN
“A great place to dine”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We went for the pizza as it looked good as we walked by. We were not disappointed at all. the pizza was great. A crisp crust and fresh ingredients. My husband had the nightly special of orange roughy with a mernier sauce. That was excellent. I rarely get fish that properly cooked at a restaurant that specializes in fish. It was a very pleasant surprise at a pizza place. The have a great list of wines by the glass also. It is small and crowded but the food was wonderful.

Been to Cannova's Pizzeria? Share your experiences!