All reviews the main house somerset cottage hal wendy get away my husband and i porch swing garden room wonderful hosts back porch grounds are beautiful cookies quiche rolling hills breakfast was delicious off the beaten path galena area each morning
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 week ago

This property is beautiful. Close to Main street in Galena as well as some wineries. My husband and I went for our friend's wedding and stayed for a little honeymoon weekend. Hal and Wendy were wonderful hosts that made delicious breakfast. They were also very knowledgeable about the area and gave us tips to help enjoy the weekend. The cottage we stayed in was perfect. It was cozy and rustic. There was a jacuzzi in the room as well as a fireplace, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, couch, TV, DVD player, and really anything that we needed. The main house also had movies and board games we could borrow. There were fresh baked cookies on our table when we walked in the door and all of the little homey touches brought such charm to the cottage. I would recommend this location to anyone looking for a quiet, intimate bed and breakfast in Galena!

Room tip: Read the guest book! It tells you fun places around town as well as everything you need to know to work the gadgets in the room.
Reviewed 1 week ago

Hal and Wendy are wonderful and warm people. Delicious breakfasts with homemade food. Peaceful setting nestled in a gentle sloping ravine a short and lovely drive to Galena. Comfortable bed and large bathroom. Would not hesitate to return.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Away from town, engaging hosts, beautiful surround, roomy and comfortable cottage.. with s back porch swing. A getaway, a stay away and right away we knew it was a great, albeit serendipitous choice. Simply wonderful.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While chain hotels have their place, I much prefer to "buy local" if possible, so when I was invited to a wedding in Galena, I looked for alternatives, and I was fortunate to discover "Hawk Valley".

There were 6 individuals in our group, so we rented all three bedrooms in the main house. The bedrooms are different sizes, but each has an attached bathroom and an outside entrance to the deck. Each room has a mini fridge with bottled water. One of the bathrooms has a shower big enough to bathe a horse!

Because we rented all the bedrooms in the house, we also had access to the living room and dining room, which was FAR more comfortable for our family than any hotel. Coffee and tea were available 24-7 (there's a Keurig) , plus a plate of excellent home-made cookies. The grounds are lovely, with opportunities to walk and explore. There's a pond (without alligators, a refreshing change from our home in Florida!)

The property itself is out in the country, so there's almost NO traffic noise.

Our hosts were Hal and Wendy, and they were awesome! Because we had the typical "wedding" activities to attend, Hal gave us a map and outlined the best ways to get to where we needed to go.

Breakfast is served between 8-9 AM and was excellent. The menu changes, of course, but one day we had pancakes and the second day we had cheesy scrambled eggs. Plenty of food for even the heartiest eater, and even the left-overs go to feed the neighbor's livestock!

Important Note: Read ALL the "rules" on the website. I didn't see the rule about "no children" in the main house until weeks after I made my reservations, and I was concerned because one of the rooms I reserved was for my son, his wife, AND their 2-year-old son. I contacted the hosts and explained my error (and it was MY error) and asked what we needed to do. The hosts graciously said it was not a problem, because we'd reserved all three bedrooms in the main house, so we were unlikely to disturb other guests. I get it, I love my grandson, but I probably won't love yours, especially if he wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Another note, equally as important. The hosts recommend that you contact them directly, instead of using a "third-party" service like Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com.or others. The old expression 'too many cooks spoil the broth" is appropriate. I've personally observed several instances where a customer made a reservation with a "third-party" service. The service took the customer's money, but the reservation was NOT delivered to the lodging. The customer was justifiably angry, the host knew nothing about a reservation, and phone calls to the "third-party" service were answered by a "Your call is very important to us" recording.

Because I live almost 1500 miles away, I'm unlikely to return to the Galena area, but if I did, I'd certainly stay at Hawk Valley, and you should, too!

Date of stay: September 2019
HawkValleyInnkeeper, Owner at Hawk Valley Retreat & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

We thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and complete review. We are so glad that you found us and that you enjoyed attending the wedding. We certainly enjoyed having you stay with us here at Hawk Valley Retreat.

May you continue to travel and experience all that this country has to offer.

Wendy and Hal

Reviewed September 4, 2019

Beautiful romantic cabin with quiet nights and stars...jacuzzi..cookies.great breakfast and new friendships. Forget about the world for a while and listen to yourself think and breathe in the country.

Date of stay: August 2019
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HawkValleyInnkeeper, Owner at Hawk Valley Retreat & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Forgetting about the outside world and everything that is on your plate is exactly what we hope for. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit. Wendy and Hal