“Simply Marvelous!!!”

Ranked #7 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Florida
“Simply Marvelous!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent four nights in the Veranda Suite and loved it. The room has a lovely view, a super comfortable bed, a roomy jacuzzi tub, a kitchenette with microwave and small refriderator, and a nice size bathroom. Although we did not use it, the fireplace would make the room very cozy in cooler weather. Grounds of the hotel are meticulously maintained and there are bicycles available for use by guests.

The staff were all pleasant and helpful and seemed to really want to make the stay enjoyable and memorable.

A full breakfast is included in the rate. Although there was no choice offered, the food was delicious and a nice variety over the four days. Room service was very fast. Dinner is only served on certain evenings but the dinner we had was excellent... good food and service.

The inn is located 8 miles or so from Galena down a winding two lane road. At first we were a little concerned about having to make this drive every day but once we had driven it, it really was not a problem and the peaceful setting of the inn made it worthwhile.

While a stay at Goldmoor is a little pricey, it is well worth it for those who want a special and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: The Mississippi Suite would be our choice... large room with a corner jacuzzi tub, a full screened i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to Goldmoor Inn two years ago and my kids won't stop talking about it since than (so we are going back). I usually don't like going to visit/ stay at the same place twice, but this place is an exception. It has the best service/ staff. The owner Patricia is so kind and friendly she makes everyone feel welcome. I was shocked at how family friendly this place is. Plus they go out of their way to accommodate everything (including our dietary needs). They definitely have the one of best breakfast I have ever had. I can't wait to go back this weekend. The property is beautiful and shouldn't be missed if you're staying in Galena.

• Stayed August 2013
Metamora, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from our 9th weekend visit at the Goldmoor Inn and I think it gets better each time.

The relaxing atmosphere, fantastic food, luxurious accommodations, and friendly and accommodating service makes for the most amazing getaway I can imagine.

The dining is fabulous. The chef, Taylor, makes a Beef Wellington that is to die for; I swear that the beef was melting in my mouth (and I like my beef well done). My husband had the Sole and, again, just simply delicious. We had the pleasure of sitting at the Chef's table in January and it was truly incredible to watch Taylor in action. This time, although we were in the Chef's Quarters, we chose to sit in the dining room just for the view of the river.

Our server, Sue, remembers us each time we visit and doesn't miss a thing. She's wonderful! Patricia and her husband are always friendly and take a moment to speak to all the guests.

We try to choose a different room each time we visit. Each room is uniquely decorated. So far, our favorite is the Turret Suite and the Chef's Quarters. The rooms are spotless.

If you visit, please take the time to talk with the staff. Every single staff member has been incredibly friendly and helpful.

The Goldmoor Inn has become our home away from home...it's become"our" place and we can't imagine going anywhere else.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'll break down several aspects of the trip detailing the good and the bad and you can decide for yourself.

Reservation Process - My wife and I book our $800 stay with a $700 gift certificate towards our bill. About a week out from the reservation, my account was charge the full $800 instead of the residual cost less the certificate. They did remedy the error within a couple days of bringing it to their attention, but t was a good thing my wife and I had an extra $1,000 lying around in our bank account or that could have been very troublesome.

Arrival - Was a bit confused upon arrival. Most rooms have an outside access door so you don't have to go through the hotel... so I had no idea which door was the actual front entrance. It wasn't labeled nor did it look any different. I just guessed and went for it.

Room - We reserved a cabin because we wanted the privacy. We were suprised that both of their cabins are in very close proximity to each other. You walk out the front door and just stare at the other one. The view was disappointing. When we got to the room we though the room seemed damp. Tried to ignore it but it kept getting worse the longer we were in there. I called and request a dehumidifier for the room which they did not have. I tried to turn on the fireplace after that and I couldn't get it to funciton properly. I called the front desk and asked them for assistance in operating the fire place. The two different employees working the front did not know how to work the fireplace either. 2 HOURS LATER an employee came down to the room and attempted but could not figure it out either. That same employee let me know that they had just shampooed all the carpet and furniture in the cabin which is why everything felt wet. So she offered to move us to another room, the only other room that was unoccupied.

Second Room - The second room offered much less privacy being inside the hotel, but atleast it was dry. The second room also had a working fireplace which was a plus. Since they were not expecting anyone in that room, it was not properly prepped with ice, a towel warmer, complimentary cookies and water, etc. I had to request that they come properly prep the room because they never even considered it. When I asked what the staff was going to do for failing to give us the room we reserved, as well as, the fact that the new room was much cheaper than what we paid for. We were told she would give us a voucher for our next stay for the difference. I had to let the staff know that this was unacceptable. #1, just crediting me the difference isn't enough for the trouble and I wouldn't ever consider coming back if that is the only thing they can do; #2, a voucher for my next stay? What is $70 going to do against a $800 bill on my next stay and that's assuming I would even want to come back again. After that employee spoke with the owner and they gave us a free dinner at the Goldmoor Inn Restaurant.

Restaurant - The appetizers and dinner was outstanding. Best food I've had in a while. They have a pretty fair wine selection but their beer selection is very subpar. The desserts were lackluster as well with few options (and not even a chocolate something option..weird). The servers were very friendly and helpful in making selections.

In Room Breakfast - Breakfast was a bit odd. It is outstanding that they give you free breakfast and it is delivered to your room. However their is no choices, you get what they have that morning. And their choices are a bit odd. The first morning we had a quiche, pineapple, and vanilla pudding. (Vanilla pudding with grapes... weird) The second morning was creme brulee french toast or a soggy piece of bread with raspberry compote, two pieces of bacon, and a slice of seeded watermelon.

Second Room - Victoria Suite - Huge Room. It is like 900 square feet, ample amenities, fridge, microwave, full sink, silverware, plates, wine bottle opener, kitchen table and chairs, fireplace, whirlpool, walk in shower, towel warmer, bathrobes, hide-a-bed couch, several comfy chairs, outdated box TV, directv cable, receiver for the stereo.

Checkout- Checkout was smooth but you do have to actually go up to the front and checkout. No speedy checkout here.

Misc- We discovered as we were leaving that they had a gift shop, they do free bicycle rentals, and they have board games you can check out. All of which was not mentioned by the staff or in the handbook in the room. Odd. Would have been good to know.

Grounds - Grounds surrounding Goldmoor are very pretty. Heavy vegetation and half of the property has a great view of the river and bluffs surrounding it. Parking was limited so we saw many cars parked in the grassy lawns which was an odd sight to see.

No Fitness Center
No Pool

1 Thank Joshua C
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I do not get a chance to get away often and we wanted to do a close by (yet far enough away) romantic weekend getaway to celebrate our 17 wedding anniversary. I had never stayed in Galena before but knew that it would be a nice place to visit, so I ran a search for "romantic weekend in Galena" and the Goldmoor Inn popped up. I was impressed by their website and the history of their Inn (really it is a glamorous bed & breakfast). The prices for their suites are higher than other places in Galena (I compared it to other B&B suites in the area), but the views shown of their establishment on their website, kept bringing me back to wanting to reserve our weekend with them (they are located on a bluff overseeing the Mighty Mississppi River). I was NOT disappointed.

We reserved the French Cottage, which is actually away from the main Inn. When I made the reservation over the phone, the gentleman asked me if we were celebrating anything special. I confirmed that we were celebrating our 17 anniversary. He quickly offered specials that they were offering. As a surprise to my hubby, I added a bouquet of roses, wine and chocolate covered strawberries to our reservation.

In the French Cottage, we had our own private parking and and small porch as well as then best view from our cottage (the Mississippi River, green pastures with horses, and on the other side of the Mississippi, the state of Iowa). When we checked in, the staff was very polite and explained the establishment to us in detail and how each morning breakfast was served (included with your stay). When we opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the photos online did not do the cottage any justice. It was HUGE! It was also immaculately kept. The roses were there and the wine and chocolate covered strawberries with chilling in the refrigerator (did I mention there is a kitchenette, also!). They also have two just baked cookies for you every day you are there (yummy!).

Breakfast could be served in the main Inn or could be delivered to your room at no extra charge. We, of course requested delivery of our breakfast to the cottage. When the staff delivered it, they set the table up nicely (linens, forks, spoons, knives, etc) and set out our individual plates. Wait...did I mention that in our cottage we had the choice of having our meals served inside (each room has a two person table) or we could have it set up outside in an attached screened porch with a view of the Mississippi River!! The breakfasts were decadent and the servings were huge (I really liked that part)!

The first night we were there, we had dinner at the Inn. Their restaurant is spectacular (we both had the Beef Wellington and it was delicious). A wonderfully special touch to the dinner was when our server (thank you Linda for making our evening dinner just that more spectacular with your attentive service) brought a special package to us from the Chef!!!! It had two hand rolled chocolate truffles - pure decadence!! The chef had "heard" that we were there celebrating our 17th anniversary and sent us the special treat. How nice to have those special little touches!

All of the above is great, but what my husband and I loved the most was how romantic it all was. The scenery, benches and seating to see the sunset (which we could also see from our cottage). It is a romantic haven for couples! There is silence all around. It feels like it is just you and your loved one only. You can totally decompress from the fast paced world around and re-energize both yourself and your relationship with your loved one. We are definitely going back!

Room Tip: The cottages have a view of the Missippi. The cabins are located by the wooded area. I would call...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We enjoyed an wonderful weekend in the Galena, IL neighborhood. It's small town charm was fabulous! The Goldmoor Inn was just the icing on the cake! Great accommodations in the Chef's Quarters, amazing food, and absolutely superb treatment! From booking the reservation to our final departure, nothing left out! We have spent a little time this year traveling all things near the Mississippi and this was one of the very BEST!

Room Tip: Stayed in the chef's quarters and dined in the Kitchen...very interesting, nice perk! :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stay at this B&B in June. This is our second time here, it's so beautiful and relaxing! The chef is amazing . We stayed in the Mississippi Room, what a great view of the river! We will be returning again and again !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple