“Warm and Charming B&B”

Annie Wiggins Guest House
Ranked #17 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Lovely B&B located a short walk away from the downtown business district. The innkeeper, Wendy, was very welcoming and gave us suggestions about things to do in the area when you're all "shopped-out". Nice place to kick back and relax. We'll definetly be back :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Over the years we have stayed at a variety of home rentals, B&B's, and hotels during visits to Galena. This was the first stay at Annie Wiggins and I must say, one of the best in the area and walking distance to Main Street.

Wendy and her staff are excellent and do whatever it takes to make your stay pleasant.

The room we stayed at was one of the smaller ones on the third floor, but excellent for our needs for a short stay in the summer. If we were going to stay longer or went during winter months we would have opted for one of the larger rooms with a fireplace....but it is great to have a choice!

And lastly, I am not sure if it was because I had a certain food allergy or they are great cooks, but the breakfasts were outstanding and I could eat everything (I let them know ahead of time when I booked)! Even my wife, who is a picky eater, ate everything! I would go again just for the food!

The only negative you need to be aware is that this B&B is right next to train tracks. The first night we heard nothing, the second night it rumbled by, blowing it's whistle at 3am - ugh!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CinciJeff
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I'm so glad we booked our Getaway early because these beautiful rooms were all booked when we arrived last weekend. We stayed in Hattie's Room. We loved our view of the courtyard and all the "nooks and cranies" were charming to say the least. It was beautiful and the fireplace kept us "toasty" at night. The room was fantastic, quaint, and comfortable. The location is perfect for all we needed. It is close to the wonderful downtown stores and site-seeing. The next morning was started with a wonderful breakfast with coffee, tea, juice and all this served in a charming dining room (there were 2) .
I'm looking forward to our next experience soon.
Thank you for your Hospitality!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I planned a romantic getaway - our first time to Galena.

We stayed at the Annie Wiggins guest home - in the Hattie room. It was lovely and all that we wanted. It was charming and old - yet updated, and we felt right at home!

We were met by Wendy (the owner and did not know it) and she escorted us to our room and told us what to expect and where things were. And to call if we needed anything. We called an hour later and she was right there!

The Soaking tub was amazing - and the room ws so cozy. We loved it.

The home is adorable also - and we learned the history at the breakfast that she provided. After serving us all , she joined us at the table and shared stories of the home as well as just talking to us. We sat at the table and talked for over an hour laughing away.

We came in the winter - and although the weather was better than expected - we can't wait until the spring-summer or fall so we can see the flowers, the fountain, and sit on the porch with a glass of wine.

It really is a charming Inn - if you are looking for the Ritz Carlton - you may be disappointed - but if you would like to have a quiet - peaceful - romantic stay, where the owner treats you like a guest in her home, this is the place. We can''t wait to come back! It was a wonderful stay that we really needed.

As far as the one comment on the train - barely heard it at 5:30 am and if we did - it was a nice sound to imagine what it was like back in the day to hear the train.

Keith & Roseann

Room Tip: Get a room with an outside entrance and porch - if you want to enjoy the out side and relax
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knudsonstudios
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed in the Sarah room. It was romantic and private. It has a large bathtub, which was not noted on the website, but I thought was extra value for the money. The owners are friendly without being in your face. Breakfast was delicious. My only criticism was the train! Ofcourse, there is nothing to be done due to location, but I was awakened at 2am to blaring horns and a long procession of freight cars passing nearby. It was difficult to get back to sleep!

• Stayed: February 2012
bheiken, Owner at Annie Wiggins Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

The train goes along the Galena River next to downtown, so all properties within a short walking distance are within the influence of the train.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Annie Wiggins for a lovely Fall weekend. We were greeted by Sue the innkeeper and given a short tour and then shown to our room. The room was comfortable and clean. The soaking tub was very nice. There is complimentary iced tea and lemonade at all times, as well as brandy if desired. We loved the view of Galena from the front porch. It is only a moderate walk to the downtown area. My husband and I have stayed at a handful of B&Bs in Galena. This one wasn't my favorite, but I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rockinrobyn71
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This was our first visit to Galena, IL, and we wanted to be in town so that we could walk to town. This inn has an excellent location.

The hosts are very nice and put on an excellent breakfast. The inn is decorated wonderfully. My complaints are mostly with the room, as it just wasn't convenient and therefore limited the romantic value.

Nice things about the inn and room: 1) The bed was comfortable. 2) The tub was a nice feature, especially with the romantic lighting. 3) Third floor was private. Along with this was very squeaky steps but you can't really help that with an old home. 4) Breakfast was excellent both mornings! The tables were set with the intention of guests sharing their adventures. Dining room decor was fabulous, as well. 5) Shower was great (pressure and temperature.) 6) Porches had some public seating areas. Lemonade and iced tea easily accessible was very much appreciated.

Suggestions: 1) hang some sort of window covering, please! The light from the neighbor's cupola shone through the window all night. Privacy wasn't an issue, as it was a third floor room, but the light was an issue. 2) fix the door. It won't close unless locked and doesn't fit the jamb. There is a 1/2 inch gap around most of the door; this lets in a lot of light and noise from the hallway in addition to reducing privacy. 3) Cut off one of the hallway lights at night. Three lights shining directly in our room from the gap was overkill. 4) convert that inaccessible, locked storage area into a closet to hang our jackets and/or shirts in. The room has one hook on the inside of the door, but absolutely no furniture with drawers or rack for hanging anything on. We had to keep our jackets on the floor and all of our clothing in our luggage. 5) Include a bottle of wine the first night. For the price paid, a bottle opener and wine glasses beside the tub are almost teasing. 6) Provide a DVD player and CD player.

The parlors are nicely decorated, but they are not welcoming for guests to sit and visit in (aside from the dining room from 9:00 -10:00 am for breakfast.) We were told that there were some DVDs that we could take to our room, which we did, but found no DVD player. There was no DVD player in the parlor.

The final issue with sleep was that this inn is located directly beside an active train track. The train whistles throughout the night with the whistle often sounding right by the inn. The first night it was three times. The second night once or twice. I recognize that the owners can't move the track, but that the house is adjacent to it would logically negatively impact the amount of money charged for the rooms.

At $205/night and a two-night minimum on weekends, the room and inn simply are not worth the money. It's a nice place, but it comes down to a lot of money for a room that is a basic room with a nice tub but some issues that keep it from being as comfortable that I expect $455 (with tax) to be. I should have stayed home and bought a new clothes dryer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple