“Great Galena Getaway!”

Ranked #16 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Munster, IN
“Great Galena Getaway!”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My sister-in-law and I enjoyed a great fall weekend in Galena. The Main Street Inn is smack dab in the middle of town, so once we parked on Friday night, we didn't need the car again until we left town on Sunday. It's an older, storefront kind of building; beware of the 15-20 steep steps that lead to the rooms upstairs, and plan your comings and goings (ups and downs) accordingly. We were in the Garden Room - two double beds - super comfy, cozy and quiet. A complimentary continental breakfast is offered each morning, and I only wish there had been more variety each day - the selections were exactly the same both mornings. There's a neat little bakery down the street that could provide something different every day. And there's also a couple of cute little restaurants open for breakfast at reasonable prices. Friday night we enjoyed a nice steak dinner down the street, and Saturday after a day of shopping and wine-tasting, we had a pizza delivered to our room. On our way out of town on Sunday we took a detour to Hanover, IL and found the Rocky Waters Winery - a hidden gem and well worth the trip! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Main Street Inn and we may make this an annual adventure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank HandyAndi53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St. Louis, MO. USA
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We got into a very busy downtown Galena on a Saturday not realizing how hard it is to park there. We ended up paying the real estate co. next to the inn $5 for a parking spot so we could check in. That hassle aside, we rang the owner, who efficiently checked us in for our 2 night stay. The owners are around, but definitely stay out of your way unless you ring them. The day we left they put out a breakfast the night before, since we were the sole guests, which was much appreciated. The room we stayed in was roomy enough and clean with a modern bath. The breakfast was basic, but good with fruit and yogurt too. We loved the location, which allowed us to cruise the main shopping area, but also walk to the U.S. Grant home. Galena is a charming town for a short stay and I'm glad we went and I'm happy with the Main St. Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ames, IA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My room was nice, and I ended up with a large room with two queen beds for just myself. The downside of this inn to me was that when I called to make reservations, no one mentioned and I didn't see prominently on the website that children are not allowed. I ended up leaving my daughter with my husband and going to the wedding alone, but if I hadn't done that we would have been stuck, because all the hotels were full for the weekend because of a wine festival.

Another issue I had was that the armoire felt like it was going to collapse every time I opened it. This was a functional armoire, the only closet in the room.

Other than those two issues, the location is great, very clean, bathrooms in great condition, and continental breakfast was good and it was nice not having to eat a formal breakfast with other people at the B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SauerPauer
Defiance, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Main Street Inn was just like the pictures you view on their website. You get what you see. We stayed in the Garden Room, which contained 2 queen size beds and our own private bathroom. It was beautifully decorated. I love B&Bs but my husband does not so this was a great compromise. It was like staying in a B&B but much more private. It is in the heart of Galena and within walking distance to all of the shops & restaurants. We would recommend this inn to anyone visiting Galena and would definitely stay there again! All rooms are upstairs so you must be able to climb stairs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

It was a girls weekend. Grandma and grand daughters. We stayed for a couple of nights. What a wonderful place. Comfy and peaceful. Very conviently located. Would highly recommend to anyone that they would enjoy their stay. Inn keepers were available, but pretty much we were on our own. Which I preferred. Great job, keep up the good work.

Jacque p

• Stayed May 2011
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I had a most excellent stay in the quaint little town of Galena and this adorable Inn. I came to Dubuque for a business outing and all the places in Dubuque were completely booked. So glad that happened.

If you're a traveler from California, think Main Street of St. Helena (between V. Sattui and Beringer). There are some adorable boutiques. Fabulous home style restaurants. I loved Fritz and Frites. It's a German/French Bistro (interesting combo, isn't it?). I had their schnitzel with hot potato salad and spaetzle. Made me feel like I was sitting at my friend's dinner table in Muenchen.

There are some nifty places to go walking. Be sure to take a walk along the river and walk yourself over to Grant's Pass (I think that's the name of the park). If you're in a walking mood, there are this killer steps...great for the glutes and you get a wonderful view of the town. Be sure to ask the Inn keeper about these stairs.

As for the Inn itself, it is super quiet. The Inn keepers are very helpful and extremely accommodating. The rooms have an old world style decor and it's just fun. There are 7 room at the Inn each with its own bathroom. It has both a shower and a tub, which makes it convenient to test out those bath salts and bubble mixes bought earlier in the day. ^__^ Honestly, I had a great night's sleep during my stay. What more could a person ask for when traveling.

This is definitely a place that you should check out AT LEAST once.

Room Tip: E-mail the Inn Keepers through their website.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Main Street Inn in Galena this past weeked. We were in this beautiful town by the Mississippi on the border of Illinois and Iowa for the inaugural Tour of Galena cycling race.
The inn is in an excellent location, next to all shops and the river. The staff is accommodating and unobtrusive. Check in/ out was a breeze. They even let us check out late (basically whenever we wanted) because the cycling race was going on until later in the day.
The Main Street Inn does server breakfast at 8am. It consists of pastries, coffee, tea and juice. They do have a common area with microwave, toaster and maybe a fridge, not sure, that you can use if you want to.
The rooms are cute and the beds comfy. The bathrooms are newer, all decorated in old world style.
They do have free wi-fi which is always a bonus!
Good place to stay in Galena!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple