“Great time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub

Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 62 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: HWY 20 (3/4 mi from Main Street)
Description: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day every day at Frank O’Dowd’s Irish Pub & Grill. The beating heart of The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel, the Pub’s rich ornate interior, designed and handcrafted in Ireland, embraces an earlier time.The menu includes American favorites mixed with several iconic Irish dishes. Start with an expanded selection of appetizers. Meat and potatoes lovers will enjoy selecting entrees featuring fish, chicken and beef. While those seeking a taste of the “Old Sod” will delight in homemade Shepherd’s Pie or Hand Breaded Fish ‘N’ Chips.
Tremont, Illinois
“Great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Classic Irish Pub feel and good service. Dancers were great; Bar drinks were really well done.
Breakfast was terrific. Dinner was just okay

Visited April 2013

Rockford, Illinois
“Great Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

You will enjoy the place and the food of this Irish Pub.
The decoration and the ambience are very nice.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Dinner and Entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Awesome band and and entertainment! We were happy to get there early enough to get a great seat for the live band.

Visited February 2013
Walnut,Illinois
“Very friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great food and drink. The bartender was very professional. The entertainment was great each night. If you are staying at The Irish Cottage you must end your night with a drink in the bar.

Visited March 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“My First and Last Meal here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

My SO and I went to dinner on a Saturday night at Frank O'Dowd's based on some pretty good reviews and the fact that most restaurants were busy from the Galena Wine Lovers weekend. The meal started reasonably well; we were late for our reservations but seated quickly, and not too close to the all-too-loud music. Good selection of beer, not unexpected for an Irish restaurant. But, halfway through drinking her home-made potato soup my SO found a very large fingernail. Yuck. She called the waitress over who confirmed that it was a fingernail.

From there it went downhill. Manager came over, basically told my SO that she must have dropped the fingernail in the soup because the kitchen staff always wears gloves. The waitress and manager agreed it was a fingernail, but basically all the manager agreed to do was to pay for one of my SO's beers.

I had ordered a salad with steak, and asked for thousand island dressing. It arrived with ranch, and I didn't notice for a few minutes (I don't mind ranch dressing) so when the waitress stopped after a few minutes and asked if everything was okay I hadn't yet noticed the dressing mixup. A few minutes later when I did notice the dressing I tried and tried but couldn't flag down the waitress. I think she was avoiding us because of the fingernail problem. Also my SO really lost her appetite so she didn't eat much of her reuben.

When the bill came I had to have the waitress take off one of our bowls of soup; she hadn't removed it even though my SO only drank half of the soup and the waitress scooped it up when my SO told her about the nail.

I realize everyone has an off night but the manager's attitude really annoys me. All in all it was a terrible visit, I won't return, and I want to discourage anyone who considers eating at Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub. There are plenty of great restaurants in Galena - why encourage a business that doesn't care about it's customers?

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MadCityGuy
gr82birish, General Manager at Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We are very sorry to learn of your disappointing dining experience and can assure you that the issue with your soup is an isolated event. Your heartfelt comments regarding the staff is equally concerning. The experience and treatment you received from the staff is without excuse. I can only personally apologize for the sequences of events. The entire staff has reviewed your comments and in the spirit of creating a “teachable moment” will be prepared in the future. John Mazor, General Manager