“Save yourself.....don't do it!!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Log Cabin Guest House
Ranked #24 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Save yourself.....don't do it!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Let me preface by saying my husband and I consider ourselves adventurous travelers and we find the greatest pleasure in staying in off-the-beaten-path places and make an effort to seek them out. We have stayed in tents in Africa, 14th century cottages in France, 12th century medeival towers in Italy and many, many cool cabins, cottages and B&B's across the country. I had high hopes that this would be another great adventure for my husband's birthday weekend. It was MISERABLE! The cuteness and quaintness ended within 5 minutes of the initial "Aawww!" when we walked in the door.

First, upon check-in the woman who checked us in spoke more to her dog (who she was afraid was going to eat her pizza while she was checking us in) than to me....she rushed me through signing my credit card receipt so she could keep an eye on her dog and could barely acknowledge I was standing there. She was so wound up about the dog eating her food I found myself anxious about what the dog was doing!

When we got to the cabin initially it was cute, but we had brought cheese, wine, crackers, etc. and realized all we had for utensils were a couple plastic forks and knives and two small paper plates for the morning breads. The wine opener appeared to be broken but luckily we had brought our own and had multi-tool in the car. The cabin was cold but warmed up quickly as we built a fire. Once the heat started to build the stench of animals took over, mostly the smell of a male cat. We made the most of it, but as soon as we went upstairs to the bathroom it was so hot a person could barely breathe! When I came down I asked if I looked skinnier because I was sure I had sweat off a couple of inches in the short trip to the bathroom! We consider ourselves hardy but a trip to the bathroom was brutal!!!

Later that night we climbed into an uncomfortable bed with lousy pillows. The heater would kick on like an engine and we would get hot, then within minutes of it going off we were freezing where I would have to put my face under the covers because the air was so cold to breathe (bed was between two windows). Luckily we were awake in the middle of the night when we heard rustling so the mice didn't get too much of our food. Fortunately we live in the country so my husband didn't freak out but instead got up and took care of the mice, others may not have had such a calm reaction. We concluded they used my purse to launch themselves up. After that everything went into the fridge and microwave.

The next morning we had to venture back upstairs to the sauna to shower and the only way to suffer through the heat was to open the window as wide as possible. Even with that I had sweat rolling down my back while I was drying my hair....to turn the heat OFF would have left my husband freezing downstairs. The shower is very small and the shower head shot three lame streams of water. I set my towel on the toilet lid while I showered and when I got out my towel was HOT just from sitting in the room.

We planned on spending most of the day relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere of the cabin....we brought books and music.....but we saddled up and left for most of the day and groaned when we had to return for the night. We went straight to bed and as soon as we got up we packed to leave opting to just wait and shower when we got back home so as not to suffer through having to be back upstairs. This is a very drafty cabin with HUGE temperature difference between upstairs and down. It does not appear to have had the necessary maintenance and upkeep that a cabin like this should have to ensure a comfortable stay for the guests. Especially when customers are charged nearly $200/night. On the drive home we passed some dilapidated old motels that were closed up and joked that we were going to upgrade and stay there next time.

So....go if you dare, but don't say you weren't warned!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Demogirl66
Tammara K, Owner at Log Cabin Guest House, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
I remember your stay.....your husband said there were no complaints when he checked out. If you would have mentioned you were not pleased I would have done whatever I could to make your stay more pleasurable. Give me a call and we can work out something for your next stay. Many upgrades have been made since you were here. Your comments/complaints are what help us to understand where we need to make changes. We have had management couples for several years and are just now getting back to family owned and operated. Please feel free to voice your concerns with us.
Thank you.
Tammy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wonder Lake, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I love this place! This is my fourth stay at the cabins. This time in..Grant..which is the "handicapped" cabin. These cabins are over 100 years old. They have a wonderful rustic charm with modern conveniences. Wood burning fireplace, hot tub, satellite TV. They are not new apartments set up to look old and rustic..they ARE old and rustic. If you can't take a little dust (cow pasture next door) and the occasional bug, go stay at the shiny city dwellers hotel up the road. Highly recommend for a romantic couples getaway.

Room Tip: I like to go out during the week and off season to avoid the loud city tourist crowd. I go here for...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy B
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed in the Parker House and thoroughly enjoyed it. You have to remember this cabin is almost 200 years old. However, it was very clean and well kept. Be prepared for two small loaves of delicious breakfast breads and orange juice to welcome you. These were the perfect size to get us going in the morning while we planned our day in town. We brought our own butter and travel mugs for coffee. Loved all the corks in the walls left by previous guests. HAHA, if those walls could talk!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Cabins are very cool - very log cabin/original, with updated bathrooms etc. They are very close together however, so be prepared for that. The deck on the Grant, was broken down and the deck in general a mess...table/chairs not cleaned or even able to be sat on. We received our one small load of frozen bread and 4 bottles of warm orange juice about 10 am, the morning AFTER we checked in. Neither of which was consumable until the next day. We are self sufficient and knew day one this was not a resort by any mean, nor really a bed and breakfast (as there is no breakfast per say), it is a rustic cabin and because of that has it's own charm for sure. Bed was not very comfortable and sheets were average at best. Overall - cabin look/feel was great, hospitality not so good and in general not something we would return to

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn R
Allen's Log Cabin Guest House has recently become family owned and operated with many upgrades. Please feel free to give us a call and we will gladly offer a repeat guest discount for your next stay and you can see the upgrades taking place.
Thank you.
Tammy
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The log cabins are every bit as rustic as we had expected them to be. It was clean and comfortable and we very much enjoyed the wood-burning fireplace. We were very disappointed in the condition of the whirlpool tub however. The surface was peeling in several spots which made it very unappealing to us. In addition, the water pressure was so slow I'm quite sure the water would have been cold by the time the tub was full.

Although we enjoyed our stay for the most part, we felt it was over-priced due to the condition of the amenities.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingMarj
Reviewed September 6, 2010

$225 a night weekend stay, with a 3 night minimum stay since its Labor Day weekend, you'd think the least they could do is dust. Our cabin (Parker) had a seemingly neverending supply of dust and cobwebs. I understand the idea of roughing it, but once again for the price, come on!
Killed quite a few spiders and wasps inside the cabin during our stay. Left after only one evening, could no longer take the filth or the smell. And the couch was broken. Ate the cost of the remaining 2 nights stay, worth it to get the hell out of there.

• Stayed September 2010
7 Thank dansusie
Illinois
Reviewed December 15, 2009

There are no phones in the cabin and no internet connection and the TV didn't work, so I used my cell phone to call the emergency contact number to ask what I was doing wrong with the TV. Apparently the lady who is the emergency contact while I'm staying in their cabin isn't even in the area but is in Chicago, 2 or 3 hours away. She didn't act surprised at all that the TV didn't work, she said her mom had screwed up the Dish Network TV the previous week and said she hadn't had time to get it fixed. She told me to go to Walmart and rent a movie, just what I want to do on a romantic evening, take a trip to Wally World. Other than the lack of customer service and no shampoo in the showers the place wasn't too bad, pretty nice rustic cabins just outside of Galena with some nice views. For $200 a night though they are a little too pricey for as primitive as they are and the fact mom screws up the tv before you get there (or they didn't pay their bill and got the line axed, not sure which).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple