“Very enjoyable dining experience”
Review of Perry Street Brasserie - CLOSED

Perry Street Brasserie
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Perry Street
Chicago
“Very enjoyable dining experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I dined at this restaurant with friends for a special celebration and it did not disappoint. I had the St. Lucia special that was comprised of seafood over rice with a curry sauce. I enjoyed it very much although I thought the spicy sauce somewhat overwhelmed the delicate flavors of the seafood My friend's pork chop was large and tender. The soup was good although not memorable. Our waiter was very pleasant and helpful and service throughout the meal was attentive. The desserts were tempting but we were too full to indulge. This restaurant is pricey for Galena but the quality of the food and service justify the price. The portions are fairly large and soup or salad is included so it is a reasonably good value. A good choice for a special occasion. I would definitely return for another dinner.

1 Thank ArielChicago

illinois
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Food was mediocre if not poor; on a sat night we were one of 4 couples so the feeling must have been shared

Visited July 2014
1 Thank winterhawk99
Breckenridge, Texas
“Best meal in Galena!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Ate here our first night in galena.....service was excellent even if a little slow. Food was fabulous! 5 Texas 'girls' on a girlfriend getaway and we all voted this our best meal on the trip! Staff and chef all very friendly. We all shared the chocolate mousse dessert and it was to die for!!

1 Thank DLPlovestotravel
Lake Zurich, Illinois
“Nice Little Brasserie in Galena”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

When we first walked into the restaurant, it looked a little dilapidated, and it was really a bit too chilly, but we were warmly welcomed and shown to a corner table that overlooked the main street. It's also not much to look at from the outside, and it's very strange that some of the photos that feature/describe the restaurant show the back shot of the restaurant. Better to show front or side view? The brasses on the walls are quite nice.

We'd also read about the fresh hummus, so I had to order that. It did not at all disappoint, served with a salad garnish and garlic toast points. Very delicious.

Very generous alcohol measures, as well, which, since neither of us were driving, were much appreciated.

I had the special seafood medley which, while nicely presented, came with a serving of couscous that was "swimming" in a what was a rather delicious curry and citrus flavored sauce. I would have preferred that the couscous had been molded into a small tower, and the sauce served in a boat on the side, as having it all swimming in the sauce made it gooey and runny. I think I would have preferred some angel hair pasta with the seafood instead. Vegetables were good.

The service was not particularly swift; we waited for quite a while between our salad and soup course until our main course arrived, but the fact that everything came piping hot kinda helped make up for the delay. My dinner companion enjoyed his soup and his veal scaloppini. He had the oysters as a starter. He had nothing but good things to say about all of his food.

The best thing about the entire dinner was the spiced/flavored oil for bread dipping that came with the soup and salad course. It is by far the best dipping oil that we have had anywhere in the world. Apparently the chef sells it; it is worth buying. Makes you want to give up butter.

We had the crème brulee and the Cherry bomb for dessert. The big cherries were really delicious, with a very nice flavor, but I was very full by that time and could not finish it; the presentation of the desserts is very appealing and appetizing. My coffee got cold quickly because the half/half was so cold.

We would return if & when we are in Galena again. They were very busy the evening we were there, which made the overall experience much better. However, while the staff were friendly and happy, we think they could kick up their service attentiveness just a notch.

1 Thank larwilson
Chicago, Illinois
“Great meal!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Wonderful meal and service, though the decor/carpet could use an update. Try the crab cakes--they're delicious!

Visited June 2014