“Great meal!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Perry Street
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Wonderful meal and service, though the decor/carpet could use an update. Try the crab cakes--they're delicious!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Another trip to Galena means another excuse to go to Perry Street Brasserie...or do I have that backward? When I suggested to my wife we make the short trip to Galena once again, I knew the smile on her face was because of this restaurant. It is that special.

How did it become so special? Well, you won't find them advertising in the DeSoto Hotel, Irish Boutique Hotel, or the numerous Guest Houses. You may not even find them by walking the Main Street, as they do not have the A-1 location that One Eleven or Fried Green Tomatoes enjoy. But ask around with the locals. Simple, it's a word-of-mouth thing. This is one of only two owner-operated restaurants in Galena (Fritz-Frites is the other). Review sites such as this one also show glowing reviews.

There are seats for 36 and they have no intention of "turning the tables" for more business. You are leisurely dining, so service could be considered slow by some, but it is perfectly fine by me, as Matthew is the primary server and we wanted his sole attention when it was our turn.

We quickly ordered a bottle of wine, and had bread and olive oil to hold us over until we ordered dinner. Starters were a cup of mushroom soup (wife) and a small salad (me). I had one of the daily specials as usual. It was Veal with Bison Sausage and rice pilaf. It was augmented by mushrooms in a marsala sauce. Delicious! My wife ordered a Veal dish off the menu (can't remember what else she had!) and in a rare instance, finished every single item on her plate. The dessert options are decadent and others have spent much time on them so I will skip that part of the review except to say we loved our dessert (Raspberry/chocolate/mouse), house specialty.

Steve (chef/owner) will usually make his way to your table to inquire as to your satisfaction. Jackie was very affable and handles the water/drinks/dessert part of the equation. Matthew suggested to us a restaurant we should try in the Milwaukee area. Given the outstanding dining experience they provide at Perry Street Brasserie, we 100% will take his recommendation as they obviously know quality.

2  Thank Lee C
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had dinner at Perry Street Brasserie yesterday night and it was simply great. The restaurant was small but cozy. The waitress, Heather, was very knowledgeable and friendly. We were able to meet Chef Stephen Dowe and had a great conversation. His food was exceptional. I had the St. Lucia special which was lobster tail, scallops, and prawns with a wonderful yellow curry sauce over a bed of rice and other grains. Awesome. My wife had a delicious veal scaloppini dinner. The desserts were excellent.
Expect Chicago prices, but the food and experience is well worth it.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This has always been one of my favorite restaurants in Galena. They always have a great menu, with beautiful deserts if you can save enough room for it at the end of the meal. Their hummus is to die for, best hummus I've ever had. Never had anything but a great meal here and I've been here too many times to count.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

food was really good, on par with restaurants in Chicago :) we arrived late and the service was kind of slow, but very friendly. very charming restaurant.