“Exquisite food, average service”
Review of Perry Street Brasserie - CLOSED

Perry Street Brasserie
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Perry Street
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We had an older gentleman for our waiter and it seemed that he must have been brand new, not only to serving, but to this establishment as he had a plethora of notes that he referred to constantly and rather clumsily. He was cute in a way, but not the kind of professional waiter that belongs in a place like this, IMHO. Aside from that, the food was probably the best we've had anywhere, and expertly prepared. The setting and atmosphere were lovely, old world, European. That is why the waiter seemed out of place. I feel he should have had more training before being let loose to flounder on his own, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. For the price it should have been 5.

There are newer reviews for Perry Street Brasserie

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I have dined here three times and ordered different menu items each time. We have never been disappointed. The food is delicious. Dessert was so good that I had to keep my husband from licking the plate!

1  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a small bistro that is elegant and comforting. It's expensive but so very worth it. The chef/owner takes great pride in his creations. The oysters and the crab cakes are great appetizers. Their signature St. Lucian is incredible - lobster tail, shrimp and scallops. The tenderloin steak is outstanding and the swordfish with crab legs are delectable. The garlic mashed potatoes are rolled into 2 large balls and then fried to create the most savory crusting! Save room for dessert! But that will be hard because the food is excellent.

2  Thank David W
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was so excited to go here after reading the reviews, but was disappointed when we left.
We were greeted by Matthew when we arrived. He was polite and friendly, but when I asked how he was, he replied, "Actually, not very well. I am really sick and was hoping that the Dr. would say I was contagious, but he said I was only contagious while I was running a fever." We were glad to hear that he was not contagious, but a little disconcerted that he was working at the restaurant while he was still sick. We ordered the two evening specials--a St. Lucia seafood combination and a veal dish, along with salad and soup. We waited at least 20 minutes before our salad and soup were served. The soup tasted good, but was basically broth with mushrooms in it. The salad with their homemade honey mustard dressing was excellent. I ordered the St. Lucia seafood combination and was told that it was mild, but could be made spicy. The waitress asked me how I wanted it and I told her that I definitely wanted it to be mild. When it came, it was spicy--even my husband who really likes spicy food said that it was spicy--I ended up switching meals with him. The veal was tender and tasty. The entrees were very pricey--$35 each, and included rice pilaf, which was yummy, and steamed veggies--the veggies consisted of two asparagus spears, one carrot piece and one broccoli piece. We are small eaters, but had no problem finishing the entire meal. I expected more for the price. The dessert, however, was excellent! We ordered the "Cherries" dessert to split and it was delicious! It was a chocolate cup surrounding white and chocolate ganache, topped by amaretto cherries. I would highly recommend going here for dessert, but I would probably skip the meal next time.

1  Thank Debra D
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Like other arts, the pursuit of culinary excellence combines hard work, acquisition of choice ingredients... and the rarest element... God-given talent. The Brasserie combines all these traits in an unforgettable experience. We have been blessed to travel the world and sample fine dining. Imagine our delight to find a 5-star restaurant in our own state. Go with the specials.savor every bite. Don't hesitate to e-mail the chef, who says it "would be a sin not to share my secrets." Pricey, but worth every cent. A feast of the senses.

1  Thank normalwriter