“Outstanding Fine Dining Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Perry Street
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Outstanding Fine Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My title sums it up very well. This is simply an outstanding dining experience and one that is equal to any in my neck of the woods (Milwaukee/Chicago).

It is a small, family-owned and operated restaurant. Renee (mother) is a jack-of-all-trades who seats, takes initial drink orders, handles dessert, and buses up. Matt (son), is the server who adroitly guided us through dinner options when we were in between selections. We appreciated him suggesting one over the other as many servers try to be "vanilla" in an effort not to offend. Steve (father), is the chef who came to our table and actually discussed the sauces he made and his food passion was evident from the start.

Is this too much of a gushy review? If so, quit reading now, because it gets better.

The food was tremendous. This is a fine dining restaurant, so a five page menu with 15 chicken options means you're in the wrong place. Rather, even though the menu had sufficient choices for a group, since it was just my wife and I, we inquired and eventually went with the specials of the day. My wife had a lobster, shrimp, and scallops dish with a wonderful sauce. I had the Texas quail accompanied with Barcelona sausage and wild rice. Both were outstanding. Matt suggested a potato appetizer with a glaze that was so tasty. For dessert, we had a chocolate outer shell with cream and dark chocolate inside covered with a topping of raspberries. Decadent!

Wines may be ordered by the glass, but we opted for a bottle. I recognized a few bottles on the wine list, so I could tell the prices were marked up 2x's over retail --> I'm good with that as I know many fine dining places have a 3x's markup policy. Overall, the wine pricing was good, as I think it went form a low of $39 to a high of $125.

On Friday or Saturday night, I highly suggest reservations. It is a small dining room (good!); they ave about 15 tables, but it is a mix of tables-for-two and tables-for-four. We arrived early and even though we saw a few tables "free", we were told it would be several minutes before they would get to us. That's ok, as it appeared they made no attempt to "turn tables" and instead, seated a number of diners who they knew they could provide excellent service to.

There are many good dining options in Galena. Part of the fun is trying them all out (who doesn't like variety?). We're no different, though I will say that on any return trip to Galena, we will 100% eat at Perry Street Brasserie first and then begin our foray to other restaurants. That's certainly not a knock on the other restaurants in Galena, but said in an effort to show you how outstanding the dining experience here was for us.

Thanks Steve, Renee, and Matt. Your restaurant alone is an excuse to return to Galena sometime soon!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Lee C

CHICAGO,IL
“What a meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We ate here on a Thursday night, the place was not busy, which was probably good for us.
The meals we had were done to perfection ;)
The owner Stephen and his son Matthew were very friendly and we had a wonderful conversation with them.
We will definitely be back again!

Visited June 2013
Bettendorf, Iowa, United States
“Back again!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Well this place has become not only a must visit when we go to Galena, but now has become the main reason to go to Galena in the first place. It's worth an hour plus drive from the quad cities just to eat here! Service as always is impeccable and friendly. They make you feel like family (the kind you look forward to seeing) As awesome as the regular items on the menu are, I can't remember the last time I didn't get the chef's special. This time was no different. I won't try to describe it as I am not a food writer, but I'll simply say it was the best steak I've had in ages, prepared with sausage and some amazing sauce. We brought our 5 year old daughter, and we were a little nervous about this, as this is an upscale, and very small restaurant, but they couldn't have been more accomodating. Their welcoming attitude affected the full restaurant, and everyone dining there was talking with us and our daughter. Appetizers, wine and beer, desert, everything as always was the greatest! It's a good thing we live just far enough away, or we might be there every week!!

• Visited June 2013
“A dining gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had two wonderful dinners at this wonderful restaurant in Galena. The food was superbly prepared and more than equal to any fine restaurant in Chicago. Matt was our server and his expertise enhanced an already wonderful dining experience. Save room for the special chocolate dessert! It's mind blowing if one is a chocolate fan.

• Visited May 2013
Carol Stream, Illinois
“The Place for Fine Dining in Galena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Received multiple recommendations for the Brasserie. We're glad we went. A little bit off Main Street and may not give the impression of fine dining based on exterior appearance. On the contrary, this is fine dining. The entrees included the owner chef's unique delicious touches. The service was friendly and timely. Try the desserts! They're to die for.

Visited May 2013