“A Wonderful Surprise at a Reasonable Price!”

Fried Green Tomatoes
Reserve with OpenTable
Fried Green Tomatoes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Galena
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Diagonal
Description: Fried Green Tomatoes proudly serves wonderful steaks and boasts a Wine Spectator Award winning wine menu. Outstanding service and an inviting atmosphere make Fried Green a must stop while in downtown historic Galena, Illinois. Fried Green Tomatoes is the place for steak, fresh scallops, and homemade lasagna. Reservations accepted. PLEASE NOTE: We are a multi-level dining facility in a historic downtown building. For the dining enjoyment for all of our guests, we do not provide highchairs or booster seats. Corkage fee $15.00 per regular sized bottle. We are a multi-level dining facility, please e-mail us at to request first floor dining.
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“A Wonderful Surprise at a Reasonable Price!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I left very happy and quite frankly, with our expectations exceeded during our recent dining experience here (Wed, June 25th). It has now moved up on the list of our favorites in the Galena area (that's great praise, as nothing can top #1 Perry Street Brasserie).

Independently, we both considered dishes with an Italian slant and if we had been dining with another couple, I'm sure one of us would have ventured off in that direction. That said, my wife ordered the braised walleye while I had the pesto salmon. Both outstanding and were served with fresh vegetables. Bread with olive oil was also provided. Dessert was a cheesecake that we shared and polished off (much to my wife's delight, as she is not a big fan of that type of dessert).

We ordered a bottle of wine as is our custom. The wine list prices were reasonable for most bottles ($25-$75). The waiter suggested their June special wine for $36 and we went with his suggestion. It was a red blend (Cab Franc, Merlot, Petite Sirah) that we enjoyed.

It's rare that we find such good food and drink at such reasonable prices. Each of our meals ran about $25 each, so pre-tax/tip, our bill came to $85. Factor in good service and we heartily recommend Fried Green Tomatoes for anyone visiting Galena.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Lee C

Chicago, Illinois
“Really Good!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Had dinner here in January. So good! I read reviews so I had high expectations, but I was still surprised at how good it was! I'm not the type to finish a meal but I ate the entire thing. Good service, good ambiance. I will definitely go back next time I'm in Galena.

• Visited January 2014
Dousman, Wisconsin, United States
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We ate at Fried Green Tomatos on a Friday night. We had a table at the front window where we could people watch as they walked by. The service was outstanding. She gave us just enough attention. The food was amazing! Loved the house salad and the lasagna was awesome. I could tell it was home made in a good way. My husband and I left the restaurant stuffed and happy. Great atmosphere, fantastic service, and fabulous food. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Visited June 2014
Paw Paw, Illinois
“Dinner”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Had dinner on a quite Sunday evening. Enjoyed our experience very much. One of the better dining places in Galena.

• Visited February 2014
Webster City, Iowa
“Ski vacation with family”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Not kid friendly, no children's seating. You should have stayed at the former location in the Insane Asylum. We will not go back.

• Visited February 2014