“Best meal in Galena!”

Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Diagonal
Description: Fried Green Tomatoes proudly serves wonderful steaks and boasts a Wine Spectator Award winning wine menu. Outstanding service and an inviting atmosphere make Fried Green a must stop while in downtown historic Galena, Illinois. Fried Green Tomatoes is the place for steak, fresh scallops, and homemade lasagna. Reservations accepted. PLEASE NOTE: We are a multi-level dining facility in a historic downtown building. For the dining enjoyment for all of our guests, we do not provide highchairs or booster seats. Corkage fee $15.00 per regular sized bottle. We are a multi-level dining facility, please e-mail us at to request first floor dining.
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just enjoyed our second trip to Galena and we were very pleased with our dinner choice...I wish we picked this place last year instead of Vannuchis. He ordered the Italian mac and cheese which I sampled and both the sausage and gouda cheese was fantastic. I usually am more adventurous but was in the mood for spaghetti and meatballs and they were the best meatballs I have ever had! House salad dressing was excellent. Only negative was the bread was kinda ho hum and the olive oil to dip it in had an off flavor but we will not hesitate to go back!

There are newer reviews for Fried Green Tomatoes

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We came to Galena for an anniversary weekend and decided on Fried Green Tomatoes for our first night in town. Had reservation and soon as we got in the door the person at the reservation desk said follow me did not ask for name until I mentioned it and seated us. Guess since it was a Sunday night and not crowded she did not bother to look. She came by a little while later and told us to save room for dessert since it was our anniversary. They were busy, but not every table was full so was surprised that it took our server Jackie??, not sure if she mentioned her name about 15 minutes to come to our table she asked if we'd like drinks, appetizers, etc., she did not bother to mention specials but that was okay as we knew what we wanted. We had the fried green tomatoes and escargot. My escargot was great but we felt the tomatoes had way too much cheese which took away from the tomatoes, so next time we will order without cheese. The house salad and bread with dipping oil was great. Husband's walleye was cooked perfectly but my salmon was a little dry but still tasty. They ley us choose a free dessert since it was our anniversary which was nice the the crème brulee was excellent. Even though we did not receive the attention from our server a restaurant of this quality as we should of had out over-all experience was good. We will be back.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

It was our first time visiting Galena and Fried Green Tomatoes was excellent. The atmosphere was quiet and decorated beautifully. The food was great and you have to eat the Fried Green Tomatoes they are very good. We had a bottle of wine with dinner it was perfect.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a great experience at Fried Green Tomatoes. Food was excellent and our waitress was great. We were using a gift certificate but would definitely return with or without.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

For a slightly more upscale meal, this was a good choice. I enjoyed scallops and my boyfriend had the pork ribeye. The vegetables tasted fresh and were cooked to perfection. His pork was the tenderest piece of meat either of us had tasted in some time. While the meal was great, I don't think the quality justified the price of the meals. The portions were more then adequate, but I do feel that over 30 dollars for each plate is excessive given the area. We also chose to skip the dessert as only a few items were offered and there was nothing special. Ice cream down the street was cheaper and more fulfilling. The atmosphere and staff were above par, while the decor needs a bit of updating (to correlate with the prices they charge).

We would return to this restaurant.

FriedGreen, Owner at Fried Green Tomatoes, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

We appreciate that you took the time to review your recent visit to Fried Green Tomatoes. While we are delighted that you found our food prepared to perfection, our ingredients fresh and our staff welcoming and professional, we are concerned that you found our pricing high. Quality does come with a price and we do our best to keep our prices down when choosing our menu items. Rest assured that we will discuss your concerns with our executive chef and his team. We hope that you will join us again in our vintage restored 1800's storefront along one of America's most historic Main Streets.

Been to Fried Green Tomatoes? Share your experiences!