“Great Place!”

Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I am so glad I found this place! My husband and I just needed to get away and relax a little. From the time I made our reservation to the time we checked out everything was superb! The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, the spa was great and the pool was very large. I can’t wait to come back with a group of my girl friends this summer and enjoy the lovely grounds! I would like to thank the staff for all their hard work in making our getaway successful!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank onabreak
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed March 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada Galena for one night two weeks ago for a get away weekend. We have stayed at this hotel in the past before the ownership changed to the present owners. We received a very warm greeting upon our arrival and found the people at the desk to be very friendly and informative. The meeting area was pleasant with a fire burning in the fireplace. The decor throughout echoes the Victorian theme from the Inn next door and, though somewhat dated, is not unpleasant. I didn't pick up the smell of smoke anywhere we walked through the hotel. Our second floor room was very clean and well-appointed. We had enjoyed the comfort of the bed so much on our previously stays but found that the bed in this room did not live up to that memory. It was much firmer and the pillows were very dense. Still, it was quite comfortable and acceptable. The hotel fronts the highway but we did not pick up any traffic noise, even with a room that faced that direction. The breakfast in the morning was of the expanded continental variety and satisfied our needs. We found our stay to be worth the $89 we paid for the evening.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MNwannaB
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Room was very nice, staff friendly and overall facility was in excellent shape, we were disappointed when a work emergency struck and had to leave a day early. Staff charged 50.00 for the day when we did not even use the room. They said that they try to make accomodations on a case by case basis. Could not offer a voucher for a stay at another time, or any other consession. As an emergency medical worker considering they were expecting a blizzard and my services would be necessary, you think they would have made some concession such as a voucher for a stay at another time and I would have paid the price for the full day instead of most of it and getting nothing.
Poor guest relations would not recommend. They obviously do not want return guest, but just want to make money.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We've stayed here when it was Victorian Pines, and I have to say that since Ramada has taken over it's gone downhill. Thanksgiving weekend, a beautiful time in Galena! until we got back to our room ... it was almost Steven King horror-like with brown water gushing from all the faucets, tubs AND our expensive whirlpool ($180/night) tub. Disgusting! Called the front desk and they said just to let it run for a while! No improvement, so the they graciously gave us another suite, but we still had brownish water. And a very stained toilet and some long brown hair still in the bathtub. This I would expect from, maybe, a Super 8, but come on people! THis place is not inexpensive. Start working on the quality and guest satisfaction. We are not returning.

3  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We were planning a nice relaxing weekend, but our hotel was really disappointing. This Ramada has got to be one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed at.., The hallways were dirty, the carpeting in our room was stained in several places, and the mattress was so bad that we checked out at 4:30 am. and drove back to Chicago....and who puts a coffee maker next to a toilet?
For the price we paid, $179.00 we feel we were ripped off, we will never stay at a Ramada Inn again..

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alooems
Ramada-Galena, Owner at Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2006

I spoke with this guest and she informed me she has a bad back and needs a very firm mattress. Our mattresses are pillow top and soft. Regarding the spots on the carpet, we could not see any but I am sure if you look close enough spots could be found on just about any carpet. We cleaned it anyway.

Reviewed October 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada in Galena this past Sunday evening to combine a visit with our college son in Dubuque, Iowa with a visit to Galena. The lobby area of the hotel is very pretty with a nice fireplace and soft music/waterfall type sounds being piped in. However, the room we had was just not at all a good value for the $ paid. Our quilt on the bed had some sort of stain on it (looked like blood), and we did get a new one from the hotel staff, which was torn to shreds at the bottom. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the coffee maker was located in the bathroom, right next to the toilet...yuck. The biggest issue, though, was that we booked a non-smoking room. The entire hallway leading to the room smelled like cigarette smoke, as did the room itself. When talking to the staff while checking out in the morning, we were told that the room very close to ours was a smoking room, and sometimes the smells drift over. She even admitted to always being able to smell smoke in that hallway. Another issue, which may be common in Galena (?) but we saw no where else during our stay there, was the abundance of the box-elder boxs in the hotel...saw quite a few of them in the hallways, next to the building on the outside deck, etc. isn't there a way to spray for these? There was a small card in the bathroom which said the area gets "unwelcome visitors" this time of year and "you are in the country now"...well, I have been to lots of places in the "country" and not been surrounded by bugs!

On the positive side, the pool is huge (we didn't use it, so I can't comment on the temperature) and the breakfast looked okay (again, we didn't eat there, since we were visiting family in town).

I do think there are quite a few other lodging choices in the Galena/Dubuque area, and would *not* choose the Ramada again

• Check in / front desk

I have found that when a hotel stay starts on a negative note many times the rest of the stay will be negative based on things that otherwise would be ignored.
We are very sensitive about bedding cleanliness. The quilt did have a spot, smaller than a dime, apparently nail polish, which even after being pointed out we were not sure if it was a spot or part of the multi-colored pattern. The employee that replaced it is sure the replacement was not "in shreds".
The coffee maker is in the bathroom near the sink. It is a small typical hotel size coffee maker so if you don't like it there it is very easy to move and we would be glad to help you with that.
Occasionally we do get smoke in the hallway outside a smoking room, that is why we only have two smoking rooms, (which I am tempted to reduce to zero).
There is a note in the room explaining the box elder bugs. They come every year at harvest time from the fields to the entire tri-state area, they are harmless, and there is nothing that will stop them except some cold weather. Every building gets them (not just hotels) because they are trying to get warm.
Given this information, I hope these guests will return. I am sure they will enjoy their stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Ramada in Galena and were a bit disappointed in the standard room. There were dead lightening bugs on the window sill.There was a table with two rickety chairs and no light making it hard to see while at the table. The carpeting was in need of a really good shampooing. There was a coffeemaker as promised - situated on the bathroom counter right next to the toilet. We arrived on a slow day and time yet the clerk at the counter ignored our presence until we said something to her. The pool area was clean and nice as was the lobby. The continental breakfast was fine. I know we will not be returning because of the room issues.

• Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galena
Stoney Creek Inn
Hotel Julien Dubuque
Hotel Julien Dubuque
#2 of 17 in Dubuque
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa? Share your experiences!