“Galena get away”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Dodgeville, Wisconsin
“Galena get away”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I were looking for just somewhere to go not far away for an evening. This is a nice hotel fairly clean and staff was friendly. We checked in around 4:30pm and sun was shining so you could easily see layer of dust on TV and entertainment center. So although it appeared clean have to wonder how good it gets cleaned each night. There also was no type chair in our room looked like there may have been one there at one time because marks on floor. We are just not the type to complain so we did not but have stayed in much nicer Ramada's. The pool was very nice, continental breafast was good & location is great. The hotel was quiet which was nice and we reserved it hru Hotwire so rate was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Paris, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Front desk and manager were very friendly and welcoming upon our arrival. We were passing through area and stopped to find accommodations due to impending snow storm. Quiet atmosphere and very customer friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2013

In an attempt to find a decent-priced room to stay in while visiting Galena, I came across this Ramada Inn. I wish I could afford a gorgeous bed and breakfast each and every time I come to town, but it's next to impossible with my upcoming wedding budget.

From a first glance, the hotel looks decent with a newly painted exterior facade and a backyard view of a quaint red barn, small pond and outside patio. Once you enter the lobby, that's when it begins to go downhill...fast. The lobby has hideous floral wallpaper, yet they made up for it with free afternoon coffee, tea and cookies.
I had requested a quiet and feather-free room in my reservation. While I did end up with the feather-free room, I should have reiterated the quiet part. I seem to believe we had the loudest Southern's next door because the walls sounded paper thin. Yet, is it necessary to ask for a clean room?! There were food crumbs that looked like cat barf in the corner of the room, a comforter with tears in it, globs of hair on the bathroom floor, a sink that took 10 minutes to drain, a shower head covered in a orange film, and two bottled drinks from previous guests under the TV. I was afraid to even look under the bed! A monster could have appeared and eaten me alive! I refused to drink water from the sink after reading over other reviews mentioning it reeking like iron. As a healthcare provider, all I could think about was receiving a letter informing me of a Legionnaire's outbreak during my hotel stay. I looked for a "welcome note" with the name of the cleaning lady, but there was none to be found.

After spending the first night under these conditions, I kept coming across more evidence that this room lacked cleanliness. I nicely handed a piece of paper with a list of all my room issues to the front desk. I backed it up saying that I'm usually not one to complain, but when it comes to cleanliness I found it necessary. She apologized explaining that we had been placed in an "overflow room" (still doesn't explain much when all rooms should be properly cleaned) and that the manager was available or in town. She mentioned that they recently switched over from well to city water, and that this is why the shower head appeared dirty (I hope they know that an easy fix is soaking it in vinegar). She then thought out-loud by saying "I wonder if someone used the room after it was cleaned??" Umm, I don't think so. I was offered to have the room cleaned with a discount, or to switch to a new room that had recently been vacated and had yet to be cleaned. I took the first offer and just reminded myself that I would be back in my bed at home in 24 hours. The hotel ended up paying for the hotel tax (a $11 discount). While the room was a bit better when we returned that evening, I still would not recommend this hotel or stay there again. A few other words of advice: The breakfast room is way too small for this size of hotel and the Wi-Fi was down the entire second day of our stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a view of the backyard not the parking lot
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EricDLong, General Manager at Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for letting us know about the issues you had with your room's cleanliness, noise issues, and wi-fi issues. We apologize that you experienced such an unsatisfactory stay. The Ramada Galena takes pride in ensuring the comfort and satisfaction of all our guest. Know that we will be addressing the cleanliness issue with our entire housekeeping staff. Regarding the noise, when the hotel is full, it can be difficult to guarantee the behavior of all our guests, however, if you let us know we are more than ask any loud guests to quiet down, or ask them to leave if they refuse, or move you to another room. The wi-fi was down due to an outage, but has been repaired. We are currently under new ownership and are going thru a period of renovations, with new décor, furniture, etc. We invite you to return to us so we can make your next experience outstanding. Also, we are pleased to announce we are now on city water and the rusty water that you read about is no longer an issue at the Ramada Galena. Thank you again for bringing your issues to our attention and we hope to see you again so you can experience a whole new way!
At the Ramada in Galena, Illinois, we pride ourselves on bed and breakfast, country inn atmosphere, and we work hard to offer the one of the best hotel and resort experiences in the Tri-State area. We’re on the western end of historic Galena, just a 3 minute drive from Main Street, and we’re just 20 minutes east of downtown Dubuque, Iowa. Whether you’re enjoying a quiet, relaxing stay, a trip for shopping and dining, visiting our on-site Indulge Day Spa, or viewing our perennial gardens by the stony pond and creek, our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.