“Little Critters”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Galena
ROCKFORD
“Little Critters”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all...your location and the room were fabulous. The couch and the TV were pretty outdated for it being a King Suite...but the four poster bed was gorgeous and the furniture definitely fit in with the atmosphere of Galena. And the little back patio looking out on the gorgeous field and lake were an unexpected surprise! That being said, my husband and I are pretty sure we were visited by a little critter in the middle of the night. I'm a light sleeper and the extra firm mattress DID NOT help me have a nice sleep at all, but 3 times in the night I heard rustling in the garbage cans. At first I figured our ice cream cups were just settling in the trash can, but it would come and go every few minutes. I woke my husband up who believed I was crazy and we went to look and didn't find anything so we went back to bed. About 10 minutes later the rustling started again and this time he heard it also. We jumped out of bed and went to look and, again, nothing. Thinking we were crazy, we scoured the room looking for any evidence of a mouse. We found some mouse poop up behind the night stand by the headboard. We just decided to put the trash out back on the patio because there was no point in asking for another room at 3-4am. I understand being out in the country it's gonna happen but really didn't expect it. In the end, a softer mattress would've really been great! We left our 5 month home with the Grandparents and I was really looking forward to a good night's sleep =\ I can't really rate the staff, our interaction with them was minimal. The girl on check in was super friendly and the girl on check out seemed like she had better things to do and I was bothering her. "Staff in Uniform" didn't notice at all. Your breakfast was awesome!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

EricDLong, General Manager at Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review on Tripadvisor. And thank you for letting us know of the issues you had during your stay.
As the Ramada Galena is located in a very rural area, and it is harvest time, it is natural for some wildlife to try to locate closer to the property. We have very regular service by Orkin to prevent such incidents, however, with the cool evening weather, and your room being on the 1st floor and having the patio door open, it can happen. I apologice foe this, and we will have our service rep out to the property ASAP.
As for the out dated tvs and furniture and soft bedding, we are going thru a period of renovation, and I invite to come back when it's completed, to experience the Ramada Galena in a whole new way!
At the Ramada in Galena, Illinois, we pride ourselves on bed and breakfast, country inn atmosphere, and we work hard to offer the one of the best hotel and resort experiences in the Tri-State area. We’re on the western end of historic Galena, just a 3 minute drive from Main Street, and we’re just 20 minutes east of downtown Dubuque, Iowa. Whether you’re enjoying a quiet, relaxing stay, a trip for shopping and dining, visiting our on-site Indulge Day Spa, or viewing our perennial gardens by the stony pond and creek, our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.
We hope to see you again.
If we can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact us directly at 815-777-2043.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Urbandale, IA
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Checking in was the best part of our stay - The lady at the front desk was so warm and inviting, explained where the pool was, its hours, and the breakfast location. The pictures online make the room look fantastic and worth the price I paid; however, once in the room, I felt like I was at Motel 6. The carpet was old and worn, the TV had to 'warm up' before it came on (and made an awful sound while doing so), and the tub was FULL of hair and soap residue, so much that it took a good 40 minutes to drain the tub after a shower! Breakfast was good and well-stocked, and check-out was efficient, but for the price I paid, I would have been better off driving 10 more minutes and paying less for a nicer hotel in Dubuque, IA.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple