“Very Nice Stay..Staff Friendly”

Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Bridgeview, Illinois, United States
“Very Nice Stay..Staff Friendly”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend trip to Galena. It is nicely located about 20 min from Dubuque and 5 min from Downtown Galena. I have stayed at a Stoney Creek Inn down the street from the Ramada and the Ramada by far is a much better hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly. Great Check-In and Check-out. The room was very spacious and looked cute. The bedspreads looked like homemade quilts and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious and they even had an extra sink outside of the bathroom. My only suggestion to the hotel is to update their Televisions. They had an old 25" tube tv. However they do have free Wifi and if you have an internet player like a Roku like I do the tv did have AV hookups and I was able to utilize my roku so we could watch Netflix, Amazon etc. The free breakfast was great it was everyday from 7am-10am, which was nice since most are from 6-9. They hade make your own waffles, pre made french toast, bagels, english muffins, oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt muffins and donuts. My only suggestion for breakfast would have been to offer milk to drink along with coffee, and juice.

They even had coffee out at night for guests.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and I would recommend them to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed at the Ramada in Galena for a wedding reception for my family member of the weekend of July 14th. I was hauling my luggage in to my room on the second floor and I saw the stairs and my luggage and was no looking forward to making a bunch of trips to get my things and my families things upstairs. Along come a young freckled maintenance man named Erik who looked like he was in a huge hurry to do something. He dropped what he was doing (even though it looked as if he were ding something important) and asked me if i needed any help. He made two trips up to my room with my suitcases and such, leaving me to only carry my purse. I was so overjoyed that he came along and was so eager to help. I didn't feel like I was inconveniencing him at all, he seemed like I was more important than whatever he was going to go fix or repair.
It made my entire night seeing such a great person willing to drop what they were doing just to make my stay a bit nicer. I saw him running around more that night helping some more people and he was always smiling and very pleasant. I will definitely stay here next time I am in town!

Room Tip: Take a walk an enjoy the nice little pond and back yard they have. Don't be afraid to ask for...
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank Shanique M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The pool and whirlpool are great. The room is fine too. Our only complaints were the fact that the hotel does not have an elevator (so we had to lug our heavy suitcases up the stairs) and the pool towels looked like someone had washed their car tires with them (you could tell they were washed, but were stained and dingy). Also the guy that checked us in could use some lessons in customer service.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have an elevator, so if stairs are an issue, request a first floor room.
1 Thank NancyJamesM
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Though they had started some remodeling, the room was quite comfortable. They started replacing the hallway carpeting. Room was clean except for the ashtray on the little patio outside the room.

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding at Eagle Ridge. The couple had reserved rooms at the Country Inn & Suites and the Ramada, but Country Inn & Suites was sold out. The room was an ok size, and the bathroom fixtures were Kohler, but Kohler circa 1987. Pretty much everything about this hotel screamed 1980's.

Everything in the room was very old and worn. The bathroom ceiling had patches and water stains and the carpet was dirty and stained. The curtains were dusty, so the AC was just blowing dust into the room. Tube TV, no other amenities, and quite expensive for such mediocre lodging.

Would have been two stars, but the employees at the desk were not very friendly or helpful. Check out took nearly 20 minutes because they could not figure out how to charge my credit card. Next time I'd cough up the extra money and just stay at Eagle Ridge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lenexa, Kansas, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I can't believe that others that gave this a good review stayed at the same place. We couldn't wait to depart. The first room they gave us smelled awful. The second wasn't much better with old worn decor, bedspread with holes, barked up furniture but the worst was the carpet, not just in our room but throughout the hotel. No amount of carpet cleaning could help this. So stained and dirty, I didn't want my feet to touch the floor. Then add BUGS!! We killed three in our room and saw more in the hallways. I hardly slept wondering what was crawlling up from the mattress.
Then add what I would expect to pay for a nice Marriott room (wish there had been one). We stopped to see what Galena IL was all about on our way back from northern WI and since we were only spending one night (thank heavens) we opted to by pass the B & B's. Such a mistake.

Room Tip: We were very glad we didn't pay the extra charge for the rooms "with a view". $120 was...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here during a short getaway to Galena, IL during the last week of June 2012. The hotel is located a short distance west of town on Highway 20. It was convenient to downtown Galena and about 20 minutes from Dubuque, Iowa.

The best part of the hotel was the pool. It wasn't crowded when we stayed, but the pool is big enough to accommodate lots of people. The water was a little cool for me, but I tend to be a wimp in that regard, so don't judge by me. Other people were swimming. There's also a hot tub holds that 11 people, according to the sign on the wall. It's a little dimly lit, but there were always sufficient towels and tables.

The pool opens out to a spacious wooden deck with plenty of tables, chairs, and lounge chairs. It overlooks a peaceful lawn and garden with mature trees and bushes. I saw numerous species of birds, including a hummingbird. We relaxed there until the sun went down and the bats came out.

Now, the negatives, which are many:

I wasn't waited on immediately when I went to check in, though I saw three people in a room off the front counter. They saw me, too, though nobody greeted me and said, "Be with you in a moment." They just ignored me for over five minutes.

The room was large, but there was an empty corner where an easy chair should have been. The other furnishings in the room were a small wooden table and two wooden chairs. The room was poorly lighted. There was only one bedside lamp, and a pole lamp (probably meant for the chair that wasn't there) was placed on the other side of the bed. The bed was soft. I like soft beds, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

There was a smallish tube-style TV that was a gajillion years old inside a cabinet that was missing doors. The stations listed in the room guide didn't match up with the stations the TV actually received.

The vending machines were not well stocked.

The carpet in the hallway leading to the pool had air bubbles in it, like it hadn't been stretched properly when installed. The bathrooms near the pool didn't flush properly, and neither did the toilet in our room. There was no toilet paper in the stalls the first day, and the second day, there was *still* no toilet paper.

Be aware, there is no elevator. Seriously, you will have to carry your luggage up the stairs if you are on the second floor.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs, don't choose a room on the second floor - there is no elevator...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
EricDLong, General Manager at Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know about the problems you had with your stay. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations and make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
We are going thru a period of renovation with new bedding, new wallpaper, and new carpeting, which I’m happy to say is coming along nicely. I’m sorry you were here when were just beginning this process and the carpet was lose to prepare for the new installation. We are also planning on replacing our guest room tvs. I invite you back to try our property again.
Management will be addressing the entire staff regarding the customer service issues,
During the Summer and Fall months, we have a lot of large groups and weddings, with a large number of people and children coming and going. Due to this, keeping our common areas well stocked and supplied is a constant battle.
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis, and I thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.
We hope to see you again.
If we can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact us directly at 815-777-2043.