“Excellent - Great Value - Great Service”

Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Milwaukee
“Excellent - Great Value - Great Service”
Reviewed December 22, 2007

We really liked this hotel a lot. The service is exceptional. We spoke with several employees - the day of travel for us was snowy and we first cancelled our reservation and were excused from the room charge on short notice. Later that day when the weather broke, we called and were given our reservation back - there were only two rooms left. VERY friendly and nice people. Super clean and super quiet. New and well maintained facility. Free breakfast is feeble, but sufficient. We're really fussy about hotels and we're hard to please, but this hotel went the mile and we highly recommend it. Lobby fireplace is great for predinner get together for wine and conversation with friends.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank MainStreet2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Northern Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2007

The Ramada in Galena is a good option for families. Young children will appreciate the large swimming pool much more than they would appreciate the charm of one of the town's many bed and breakfasts. And speaking of breakfasts, the Ramada's free continental breakfast offers healthy (and kid-friendly) choices such as yogurt, apples, and Cheerios, along with bagels, biscuits and gravy, etc.
The hotel seems to be safe, secure, and reasonably well-cared for. Everything is well-lit and the lobby is nice.
There are two things preventing me from giving this hotel 5 stars. One is that the Pack and Play crib we were provided with did not have sheets of an appropriate size. This is a SIDS hazard. I suggest that if you are traveling with an infant, you bring your own portable crib. The other thing I didn't like was that our king-size mattress was a little on the saggy side.
Despite these issues, we would stay at this Ramada again because it is a good value for our family's situation and for the Galena area. Reviewers who complain about the rates at this hotel may not have compared them to the rates of other lodging in Galena, which can be a very expensive place. I felt that the price we paid was fair.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Casper, Wyoming
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This hotel is pretty good. Better than the hyper-budget places I stay at when I travel for work. Way better.

The location, about two miles from downtown Galena, is ok. But I wasn't expecting anything near downtown.

What is ok , and there's plenty of ok at this place, is the free breakfast--finally a breakfast worth being called breakfast. A decent pool and hot tub. Clean rooms. A staff willing to put a crib in the room. Cable TV with channels you want to watch (we don't have cable at home).

If all hotels were like this, I'd never worry about what I was getting before I arrived.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Our very first trip to Galena included an overnight stay at the Ramada. It was an excellent value which I thought we would have to compromise standards to justify getting our room at such a low rate. This did not turn out to be the case at all. The hotel is really beautiful. The lobby is so dramatic with the high ceiling, fireplace, antique furniture and victorian rose wallpaper. The desk clerks were all so friendly and professional. The antique decor goes throughout the hotel hallways as well as the rooms. Our room was very comfortable and I would have to be pretty nit-picky to tell you of anything "wrong" with it (i.e. mis-matched end table lamps). The bed had an old timey quilt for the bedspread and an old timey iron headboard which was neat.
After our fun but tiring day downtown in Galena, we returned to swim in the indoor pool which was huge and sooo nice. A perfect way to relax away all that walking we did.
We didn't stay for breakfast the next morning but after reading one review in here, I wished we would have! :)
There is a big deck in the back to sit and relax and there is also a full on-site spa which we didn't go to but nice to know it's there for our next trip maybe. I believe they also have a pond in back for fishing if memory serves. Check out was a snap and we left there feeling like we should've paid much more than we did for the experience we had. We are in love with Galena and plan on staying at the Ramada time & time again.

• Liked — 3 star accomodation for 1 star price
  • Disliked — It would've been nice if it were closer to downtown.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2007

The Ramada is a pretty nice place among the dozens of bed and breakfast joints in town. We had the king jacuzzi suite which had an oversized tub, fireplace, couch, comfy chair, big dining table and the other usual amenities. The hotel pictures are pretty much dead-on.

Our room had nice antique furniture, but wasn't junky-looking. Bathroom was nice although the shower head massage setting was downright brutal (ouch!). We were located near an employee work area so sitting outside the back door was pretty much undesirable since there seemed to be a cart of something there all day.

There was a wedding going on that evening outside out room which would have been nice to watch if we were there at the time. We got to see (and hear) the reception well into the night. The DJ had the volume cranked up pretty high. It wasn't too annoying and who was I to spoil someone's wedding day by complaining.

Pros: There were many. First off, I can't recall the last time I stayed at a hotel in this ownership group that had anything better than fresh bagels for breakfast in the morning. This establishment had a big spread of bisuits and gravy that I could have eaten all day. Gold star awarded for a good breakfast!

More pros:
-The bed was a little soft, but I didn't mind it. Slept like a rock.
-Fireplace: I was expecting a cheap electric fireplace. In-room fireplaces are gas and warm up things quick. They're also on a timer so you don't forget to turn it off at night.
-Vending machines: $1.25 for a 20oz bottle of soda. Not a bad hotel price. Go to the nearby Piggly Wiggly or Wal-Mart for extended stay eats.
-Parking: Never had to look for a space. Parking passes are given at check-in.
-Value: I got a VERY good deal, but I wouldn't have a problem at all paying the rack rate (at least in the off-season, October is nasty high for hotel prices in Galena)
-Shuttles are offered from the hotel to the downtown area on Saturdays, but parking isn't too bad if you know where to go. I wouldn't bother with them.

Cons:
-There was a strange foam the first time filling the tub. Let it run for a few minutes to get rid of it.
-Crack under door was huge and let a ton of light in. We put a towel down to darken the room.

Recommendations:
-Please supply rooms with phone books for the Dubuque area as well. We thought about driving to Dubuque for dinner, but we only had a Galena phone book. No cost involved and the casino-goers would appreciate it.

Overall we had an excellent stay. If I get out that way again, I'll be staying at the Ramada.

• Liked — Big room! Awesome breakfast!
  • Disliked — Wedding reception was loud, crew work area was a distraction as well.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarsAndTone
Arizona
Reviewed October 14, 2007

The lobby area is very attractive with a fireplace & nice decor. Our large room was also nicely decorated with great sunblocking drapes. The room rate was reasonable for Galena but it was during the week and October. There were not very many guests on the week night we were there so it was nice and quiet. They offer a discount on the Galena trolley tour which we took. The breakfast was very adequate.
We would have preferred staying in a B&B but we were arriving late and it's easier staying a motel in that case.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Soiled carpet
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
Reviewed October 9, 2007

All and all we had a nice stay. We arrived on a Sunday and we were very excited, it was our 3rd wedding and anniv. and much needed "get a way" We had booked the whirl pool/fireplace suite. The fire place was great, but I have to say the whirl pool was not. As soon as I turned it on it ran brown water (minerals, I guess) I let it run for about 5 minutes before plugging the drain. Once it filled it up, I could still see a brown ring all the way around the top of the tub...pretty gross. I was very upset as I was looking forward to taking a lot of soaks in that baby! I didn't complain because I didn't want to ruin the trip, but I thought other people should know that spending the money on that room may not be worth it.

The staff was super nice and the spa was a nice added bonus being right in the lobby. They have a nice breakfast every morning and it was very quit there.

• Liked — Big room
  • Disliked — Whirl pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple